[Private Channel] Unofficial Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

[Private Channel] Unofficial Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV)

Postby TheEndless » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:14 am

Tonight I'm happy to announce the release of my new Unofficial Twitch.tv channel for the Roku!

Browse all of the Roku compatible Twitch.tv streams by game or channel, or search for what you're looking for. The channel also includes support for local favorites (not sync'd with Twitch.tv account).

You can install the channel via the following URL: https://owner.roku.com/add/TwitchTV

NOTE: This channel is unofficial and is not supported by Twitch.tv.

You can also visit my website for information on each of my channels: http://roku.permanence.com
I've also set up a Twitter account for my development updates, if you're interested: http://www.twitter.com/TheEndlessDev

Thanks!

Some screenshots...

My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Re: [Private Channel] Unofficial Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV)

Postby johninFL » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:14 am

Hi TheEndless,i own a R2XS and just added your new channel,but all 3 times i entered it my unit choked(shows "Search" then goes to black screen)and am unable to exit the channel to "home" and the unit has to be rebooted. :(
Any suggestions??
johninFL

Postby TheEndless » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:45 am

johninFL wrote:Hi TheEndless,i own a R2XS and just added your new channel,but all 3 times i entered it my unit choked(shows "Search" then goes to black screen)and am unable to exit the channel to "home" and the unit has to be rebooted. :(
Any suggestions??

I can't reproduce this on any of my units. Have you tried it again since? I'm wondering if there was a corrupt thumbnail or something that was causing it at the time you saw it.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Twitch.tv (TWITCHTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless

Postby dnalloheoj » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:01 am

Been looking for this sort of channel for a long while, so glad I conveniently checked these forums today. Great timing :D

Works pretty flawlessly so far. Haven't had any issues with the ~10 or so streams I've tried, aside from my own, which gives a "Channel is either offline, does not have a Roku compatible stream, or did not initialize properly" message.

Are there settings that need to be set a certain way to work with the Roku? Max bitrates, anything like that? Because if I was able to setup a completely private/unsearchable Twitch channel and use this to stream my desktop, that'd be pretty useful.
Last edited by dnalloheoj on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
dnalloheoj

Postby TheEndless » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:12 am

dnalloheoj wrote:Been looking for this sort of channel for a long while, so glad I conveniently checked these forums today. Great timing :D

Works pretty flawlessly so far. Haven't had any issues with the ~10 or so streams I've tried, aside from my own, which gives a "Channel is either offline, does not have a Roku compatible stream, or did not initialize properly" message.

Are there settings that need to be set a certain way to work with the Roku? Max bitrates, anything like that? Because if I was able to setup a completely private/unsearchable Twitch channel and use this to stream my desktop, that'd be pretty useful.

No. Unfortunately, Twitch seems to only make certain streams available in a Roku compatible format (the same streams available on iOS and Android). When browsing, the results are filtered to just the compatible streams. Search, however, doesn't have that ability to filter, so it's more likely to return incompatible streams. If there's a stream that plays on iOS or Android, but not the Roku, then let me know, as that could be down to something on the channel end.
TheEndless

Postby dnalloheoj » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:25 am

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Otherwise, everything seems to be working great so far. Been watching the ESEA CS:GO stream this morning and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of it on the Roku 3.

For anyone who's interested in what I was referring to earlier, here's some more info on what streams are made available on Android/iOS/etc: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1053221
dnalloheoj

Postby TheEndless » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:28 am

TheEndless wrote:
johninFL wrote:Hi TheEndless,i own a R2XS and just added your new channel,but all 3 times i entered it my unit choked(shows "Search" then goes to black screen)and am unable to exit the channel to "home" and the unit has to be rebooted. :(
Any suggestions??

I can't reproduce this on any of my units. Have you tried it again since? I'm wondering if there was a corrupt thumbnail or something that was causing it at the time you saw it.

Correction.. I was able to reproduce this just now, but can't quite figure out how. Still investigating...
TheEndless

Postby johninFL » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:31 am

TheEndless wrote:
Any suggestions??

Just read your post,tried it again but this time the screen went white :? :roll:
So i removed/re-installed the channel,now it functions properly.Problem??...solved. :)
johninFL

Postby TheEndless » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:27 pm

TheEndless wrote:
TheEndless wrote:
Any suggestions??

Correction.. I was able to reproduce this just now, but can't quite figure out how. Still investigating...

I've published an update that should hopefully fix this. It seems to have something to do with the Favorites row being hidden if you didn't have any favorites set up, and the grid not liking that. I've worked around that, and haven't been able to reproduce it since, so fingers crossed... Enter/exit the channel store to get the update (or visit Settings->System Update->Check now on Roku 3).
TheEndless

Postby tnt118 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks so much for putting this together, I'm going to give this channel a LOT of use! :D
tnt118

Postby taomaster99 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Awesome, I added the channel but not going to be able to check it out until later tonight!
taomaster99

Postby Rahabib » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 am

I tried it out last night. The only thing is, that since I am on wireless, the HD videos stop and rebuffer often. I wonder if there is a way to have the user select the quality of the video, with highest at default. Other than that, it works great. Even more realible than even using the Justin.TV app.

Thanks!
Rahabib

Postby RickRansom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:57 am

Rahabib wrote:I wonder if there is a way to have the user select the quality of the video, with highest at default...

The box has an option to manually choose the bitrate of the show [if available] but I'm not sure if it will work with this channel. Check this link and see if it works for you.
Retired
RickRansom

Postby taomaster99 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 am

Watched a couple of streams and worked well. Great Job!
taomaster99

Postby hammers2332 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:25 am

Nice channel, has worked fine for me with no issues so far. Thanks
hammers2332

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion