DirecTV now allows HBO Go authentication on Roku

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

DirecTV now allows HBO Go authentication on Roku

Postby arrowrand » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:06 pm

I don't see this posted yet, but it's true. If you subscribe to HBO on DirecTV you can authenticate HBO Go on Roku effective today.

In addition A&E, History and Lifetime authentication works as well.

Still no Watch ESPN or Watch Disney, but that's another matter.
ROKU 1, Fire TV & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 XD, HDMI Streaming Stick & Chromecast - 47" LED
ROKU 2 & Chromecast - 37" LCD
ROKU HD & Chromecast - 32" LCD
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Re: DirecTV now allows HBO Go authentication on Roku

Postby TheEndless » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:17 pm

That's awesome news! Thanks for posting it!

DirecTV's refusal to participate in most of these authenticated apps on the Roku platform while they do on XBox and AppleTV has been extremely frustrating. I'm glad to see them finally jumping on board!
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), MainSqueeze (MAINSQUEEZE), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), Justin.tv (JUSTINTV), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Postby gonzotek » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:26 pm

Here's to hoping Comcast follows suit! :roll:
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
gonzotek

Postby arrowrand » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:05 am

Last night the authentication pages for A&E, History and Lifetime did not offer DirecTV as an authentication option for Roku, so I added my last Roku by selecting Xbox and entering my code there. It worked fine, but this morning DirecTV is an option again under Roku for all three.

Not sure if it was a temporary glitch or not, but if you go to authenticate any of these and DirecTV isn't listed, try the Xbox and see if that works.
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby farside847 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:26 am

This just made my day!
farside847

Postby blaze92x » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:56 pm

Bump for exposure
blaze92x

Postby bvd1022 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:18 pm

arrowrand wrote:I don't see this posted yet, but it's true. If you subscribe to HBO on DirecTV you can authenticate HBO Go on Roku effective today.

In addition A&E, History and Lifetime authentication works as well.

Still no Watch ESPN or Watch Disney, but that's another matter.

I have been using HBO Go for about two weeks now. I seriously wonder if this means DirecTV will be working with Roku in some form in the future. OTT is the way things are heading and you would think DirecTV and other cable and satellite providers would want to work with a company like Roku as the model of pay television is gradually changing. I was kind of hoping ESPN would be a part of it as Watch ESPN features ESPN 3 which is exclusive to internet/OTT. Hopefully it’ll come later this year.
bvd1022

Postby arrowrand » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Watch ESPN and Watch Disney won't happen until DirecTV and Disney do a new contract, and that's late this year at the earliest.
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby bvd1022 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 am

arrowrand wrote:Watch ESPN and Watch Disney won't happen until DirecTV and Disney do a new contract, and that's late this year at the earliest.

As I have been saying in other discussions on this board I am of the opinion that OTT is the way technology has been heading for some time. Although I don’t think OTT is at a point where it will totally replace cable and satellite, it’s clearly heading that way. I believe with all these streaming services starting up that eventually cable and satellite providers will have to follow into OTT in order to survive. From what I understand Time Warner has a channel on Roku which allows subscribers to access their service via either OTT or the traditional medium.

The announcement tonight that Comcast has purchased Time Warner could be a game changer to some degree as it will allow Comcast to continue to dominate the cable market, but I do wonder if it is really wasted money seeing as OTT will become more and more common in time. It will be interesting to see if this will affect the TW Roku channel as well. Either way, I don’t think it is really smart for providers to deny access to channels available on OTT, why risk alienating subscribers further considering these channels are free for subscribers anyway?

It’s one reason why I feel Epix is really missing the boat in regard to it’s potential via the OTT medium. HBO’s OTT streaming service is solid, but it is limited to only people who subscribe and have access through a participating provider. Epix meanwhile, has struggled for carriage agreements via cable and satellite since it launched a few years ago. You would think with the increasingly popularity of OTT that those who own Epix would see an opportunity to get it’s service out to more people and thus compete with HBO’s streaming service on OTT if they can’t adequately compete with HBO and other premium networks via the traditional medium.

As far as DirecTV, I’ve been a subscriber for several years now and although I’m happy with the service, the steady increase in carriage disputes between DTV as well as other providers with networks has left a collective bad taste in customers mouths. Sports is a big issue for some people, I am a sportswriter so I include myself in that group. Seeing as ESPN’s service, particularly through ESPN 3 offers a lot of international events to the U.S. that does not get televised outside of the ESPN streaming service a lot of people get left out simply because they don’t have access.

Although I grew up as cable was just becoming mainstream and have become quite familiar with the industry over the years, there is part of me that is hoping that as cable and satellite gets phased out that networks like ESPN start to offer their respective services at a subscription price. Either way, it is only a matter of when and how before OTT becomes the industry standard. Just one man’s opinion.
bvd1022

Postby arrowrand » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:30 am

bvd1022 wrote:
As I have been saying in other discussions on this board I am of the opinion that OTT is the way technology has been heading for some time. Although I don’t think OTT is at a point where it will totally replace cable and satellite, it’s clearly heading that way.

Pay TV isn't going anywhere. With all of the supposed cord cutting going on, DirecTV, Comcast, Time Warner and Dish are all making huge sums of money, so that means that the cable networks are making huge sums.

Going OTT kills the profit, and none of the big channels will ever do it.

As fee disputes go, look at what DirecTV just did to weather channel. That's going to be how fee disputes go as we move forward. The herd of lesser channels are going to be thinned out.

Epix would have better carriage if they weren't demanding a per subscriber fee for a premium movie channel service. They don't want what HBO, Showtime and Starz have, which is a fee from only those that subscribe to their channel, they want a cut of every single subscribers bill like ESPN gets.

That will never happen for them. At least not beyond what they have now. They can keep their content on Netflix and Amazon, or they could go OTT. They arent included in the pay TV profit glut, so they do have an opening if they decide to take it.
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby Basil » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:22 am

arrowrand wrote:... With all of the supposed cord cutting going on...

Wait. What. My cord cutting is now "supposed?" I've been fooling myself all these years? Now I am disappointed in myself.
Basil
http://www.basilsblog.com/
http://www.imao.us/
Roku 3, Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, Roku LT; previous Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, Roku 2 HD, Roku XD|S, Roku HD
Also running Apple TV, TiVo/OTA, Simple.TV/OTA, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV
Basil

Postby arrowrand » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:26 am

Basil wrote:

Wait. What. My cord cutting is now "supposed?" I've been fooling myself all these years? Now I am disappointed in myself.

Meant that cord cutters aren't turning into a viable revenue source at a rate that would encourage cable exclusive channels to consider OTT. We're nowhere near that.

Its tough to make a point when you're typing on your phone.
----
Airport Extreme
TWC 50/5
arrowrand

Postby bvd1022 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:52 pm

arrowrand wrote:
Basil wrote:

Meant that cord cutters aren't turning into a viable revenue source at a rate that would encourage cable exclusive channels to consider OTT. We're nowhere near that.

Its tough to make a point when you're typing on your phone.

I agree that where things stand right now OTT isn’t quite there yet. As I said though it is heading that way. I do believe that eventually pay television networks will be more adaptive to the change to OTT in time. I do disagree that it wouldn’t be profitable for those networks.

Most networks and pay-per-view content providers operate on a 40/60 revenue split with providers. Although networks receive a chunk of that split, they don’t receive the lion’s share of that revenue. By going direct to consumer via OTT it puts more revenue and control in the hands of networks and content providers.

I have discussed this several times on this board, but again I need to reference the forthcoming WWE Network as something that I feel will be a game changer not just in regard to pay-per-view television, but throughout the industry as a whole. Vince McMahon has long been an industry giant when it comes to pay-per-view television as well as the cable television industry in general. McMahon’s company has provided networks with significant profits over the years and has provided cable and satellite providers as well as distributors the same over the years with his pay-per-view events. The problem McMahon and other pay-per-view content providers have faced in recent years has been as the cost of pay-per-view has steadily increased, it has put the cost out of reach for most people, resulting in declining buyrates.

McMahon announced plans for his network which would see all of his pay-per-view events transfer to being carried by his network a few years ago. The problem he encountered was much like networks like networks such as Epix and Weath TV (Now AWE) he struggled to get carriage clearances by cable and satellite providers to launch the network via the traditional medium.

He (McMahon) himself stated following the official announcement of the launch last month as an exclusive to OTT 24/7 live and on demand network that the agreements cable and satellite providers wanted would have been too restrictive actually netting the company somewhere around thirty-six cents per subscriber. This again is do to the 40/60 model that is the norm for cable and satellite providers.

Although it is a gamble doing things the way he is doing it, I believe it will make McMahon and his company much more money because they will get the subscribers directly and thus will get much more of the revenue as compared to the traditional model. WWE also did a good job of making sure their contracts with NBC/Universal to carry their weekly television shows came up for renewal just prior to their network launch.
They have stated that they intend to keep those weekly television shows on traditional cable television, but by having to renegotiate their agreements now it puts much more of the advantage in their favor not only because of the network launching in a little over a week, but also because they see how profitable those shows have been for the networks, particularly how much those networks make by taking the lion’s share in terms of advertising.

This will give them more confidence to either shop around to different networks, or to take their entire block of cable programming as well as the former pay-per-view events directly to their own network. In addition to the obvious hook they have in terms of drawing subscribers with an extensive on demand library that will be available out of the gate when it launches WWE will also make money when it comes to advertising without having to deal with that revenue split with the networks. In the scenario that all of their weekly programming does migrate to the network in terms of first-run and not replays, the advertisers that pay high rates to networks for advertising time on their cable programs will reach out to WWE directly. When you also consider that WWE will be offering all the network programming, including the former pay-per-view events included with a monthly subscription, it is bound to be successful.

As it becomes successful, other networks will be bound to follow. HBO has stated that they have considered offering it’s streaming service on a subscription model to people who do not have a participating provider. It is only a matter of time before the restrictions that networks face with their streaming services are no longer an issue. I believe networks like HBO will be watching what happens with WWE in terms of their subscriber base at the end of the first year, and then we will likely see more networks adapt a similar model. WWE’s network is only launching in the U.S. initially with the service going abroad later this year and early into next year. I think the network’s subscription base will easily be in the million to two million range if not more by the end of it’s first year. It is a much cheaper option than what people have had to pay in the past and subscribers will get much more content than they have in the past. When you factor in the availability of the network on various platforms I think it’s bound to be successful.

In terms of Epix, I feel they would be better served if they bypassed the cable and satellite providers by offering their service which includes live feeds of all it’s channels, (Which HBO currently does not offer on it’s OTT service) directly to people via subscription. Epix has struggled to get clearances on cable and satellite since it’s launch and it was a part of contention in the recent dispute between DirecTV and Viacom. AWE has faced similar challenges when it comes to carriage agreements, but they have offered the service direct to people via OTT for a yearly subscription price. Epix could do the same thing. I feel it is only a matter of when and how before OTT eventually phases out cable and satellite in it’s current form. I do think that cable and satellite providers will venture into OTT as a means of survival eventually, but I think the landscape will be different. OTT also offers less restrictions and a wider range of what networks and services can offer and where as opposed to cable which can be limited to certain areas and regions, etc.

In regard to the Weather Channel, I am aware of Weather Nation being used as a replacement for the channel while DirecTV continues to negotiate with the network. The problem is much like other networks WN has had issues getting clearances and has been used in a similar situation as a replacement when Dish Network had a dispute with the Weather Channel when the channel was known as The Weather Cast. When that dispute was resolved WN was subsequently dropped, thus limiting it’s exposure and potential growth.

Weather Nation does offer it’s service direct to people via Roku so it will allow them to maintain if DirecTV does end up doing the same thing Dish Network did. OTT does give the upstart networks a new avenue if providers don’t want to give them a chance. OTT is the way things are heading. Just one man’s opinion.
bvd1022

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion