squeezebox server compatibility with M1001

Questions and answers about getting your SoundBridge up and running.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

squeezebox server compatibility with M1001

Postby bgibbon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:16 am

I have a Soundbridge m1001 which I has been working very well for the past couple of years with Windows Media Server. It's connected wirelessly, and has been connected to machines with Windows XP, Vista and 7 during this time.

My wifi connection is ok, but not great where the soundbridge is. For whatever reason, I found that itunes server tended be less reliable (songs stopped playing in the middle), and the fact that windows media server starts with the machine and runs in the background has made it a better choice. So, that has worked well.

I recently bought a Squeezebox Radio, which is pretty cool and works great. But the Windows Media Server stopped performing well on the Soundbridge. I also noticed a Slimserver entry now appeared on the Soundbridge, and I installed the firmware update on the Soundbridge to allow that to work. It works as designed, and is nice because it brings some of the nice radio features to the Soundbridge. After installation, I can't get any data (artists, songs, etc) to load on the Windows Media Server, so it's unusable.

The slimserver interface for the streaming music is lousy (tiny type, can't really browse by letter, etc), so it's not a great replacement for the windows media server.

Anyone else have a similar issue, or better yet a solution?
bgibbon

Re: squeezebox server compatibility with M1001

Postby jjaf » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:24 am

But the Windows Media Server stopped performing well on the Soundbridge.

What exactly do you mean by this?
Squeezecentre and WMP should work without interfering with each other. I do know that Squeezecentre can take a while to build its library so perhaps it was a temporary problem whilst that was in progress.
R1000, M400, M1001
jjaf

Postby bgibbon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:24 am

Squeezecenter works fine on its own on the Squeeze Radio, so problem is not the library being built in squeezecenter..

Here's exactly what happens to the Soundbridge when the squeezeserver is running. I see both the the WM Server and Squeeze when I am asked to choosing a library (as well as being able to choose Internet Radio). If I select the WM library, it connects properly. When I then try to browse playlists, artists, songs, etc., the Soundbridge gets as far as trying to load the values, but never actually loads any. Without squeezeserver running, (and how it performed prior to installing squeezeserver), the Soundbridge would load the 500 or so artists in increments of about 100, and take about 3 seconds to do so.
bgibbon

Postby jjaf » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Squeezeserver could be overloading the PC (disk thrashing or CPU hogging). Use Windows Task Manager to check what is going on when the server is running. Also look at the squeezeserver support forum for help, http://forums.slimdevices.com/.
R1000, M400, M1001
jjaf

Return to SoundBridge Set-Up