DLNA

Roku's free SDK allows developers to build channels and applications and publish them to the Roku Channel Store. Register for the Developer Program at http://www.roku.com/developer

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuChris, RokuJoel

DLNA

Postby ugandy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi,

Can current Roku hardware/SDK implement a DLNA client?

thanks!
hugo
ugandy

Postby RokuKevin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:32 pm

We do not currently have a DLNA or UPnP client. It would also be impossible to implement the Discovery process of UPnP with the current SDK as the Discovery process relies on a udp broadcast that is not available in the SDK.

We've taken note of all the activity in this forum around local streaming solutions and you can expect Roku to play a role in the space in future releases.

--Kevin
RokuKevin
Roku Engineering

Postby ugandy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the update. That's very good news.

Cheers,
hugo
ugandy

Re: DLNA

Postby OtisWild » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 am

Has DLNA and/or UPnP been added to Roku player yet, or NFS/SMB share reading?

I am looking for a media streamer (I have an Xtreamer, it is a piece of junk), and being able to play off of a share or local streaming is mandatory for me.

If not, I'll likely go with the WDTV Live+ since it supports local streaming via upnp.
OtisWild

Postby DeftOne » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:32 am

uPnP/DLNA is still not supported. There are private channels available for local streaming, but they all require a server to serve up your files. And of course, they are limited to the codecs and file containers that are supported by the box, which are unfortunately severely lacking compared to the other available streamers out there. In short, you can do local network streaming on the Roku, but it's not very convenient. I love this little box as an internet streamer, but I can't recommend it if your primary use is going to be for streaming local content.
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby danmittonsr » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:18 am

DeftOne said... "There are private channels available for local streaming...". Where can I find these? What codecs / file types are supported? Thanks.
danmittonsr

Postby DeftOne » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:52 am

MyMedia
Roxbox
Chaneru
USB Media Browser (XR model only)

Generally speaking mp4 and h.264 are supported, but there are pretty strict settings requirements. The Chaneru website includes a table from the SDK documentation that has more detailed information: http://www.chaneru.com/video.jpg
Roku2 XS (13A166000325) HDMI to LG 42" LCD 1080p (42LH30)
Roku LT (16A181002342)
Roku XDS (K0A073000137)
Roku HD (20F946002749)
DLINK DIR-615 (all Rokus wireless)
12 Mbps
DeftOne

Postby docpaul » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi, new prospective buyer here.

I'm a bit confused by this thread, as it appears that at least one pretty popular "technology news blog" believes DLNA support is coming as well?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/22/roku-xds-review/

Roku tells us it'll be adding additional support for DLNA streaming in the future, and with various DLNA-compatible devices like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, the Motorola Droid X, and LG Optimus Windows Phone 7 handset either out or on their way to market, it could present a solid alternative to Apple's AirPlay. We weren't able to test any DLNA features, though, since they're not currently available -- the potential is there, but Roku has to execute.

So, Roku folks... do we wait for this or move onto something else? I have a lot of home video, etc that I've archived and wanted to know if this device would support streaming this content?

Additionally, it was clear that Roku planned rendering new video formats in a December 2010 update:

http://shop.roku.com/Roku-Streaming-Pla ... ns-W5.aspx

At the bottom, in fine print:

USB port for playing stored photos, music,
and videos***
*** Available via free software update expected in Dec 2010. See specs for list of file formats supported.

Was this for the new firmware that just released today? I didn't see this reflected in the changelog. Seems like MKV isn't out of the question?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!
docpaul

Postby RokuPatrick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:10 pm

They were misinformed about DLNA. We did incorporate a technology that is also used by DLNA (SSDP) to aid in the box being discoverable on the network (for things like iPhone control applications). DLNA is still a if/when kind of thing. No ETA or commitment.

USB support is still planned and in fact it's in the SDK, but we haven't yet released the official USB channel, though there are multiple applications public or private that do provide some level of USB support.
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Postby jriver » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:29 pm

We're interested in helping out if anyone from Roku would like to talk about possibilities. Our software has full DLNA support.

I'm jimh at jriver.
jriver

Postby Microguy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:16 pm

These two statements seem to contradict each other. Local media support seems to have gone from 'it's coming" to 'it might be coming' over the course of 11 months.

posted on: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:32 pm
RokuKevin wrote:We've taken note of all the activity in this forum around local streaming solutions and you can expect Roku to play a role in the space in future releases.

posted on: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:10 pm
RokuPatrick wrote:DLNA is still a if/when kind of thing. No ETA or commitment.

Is it possible to get a clarification on this, or is it time to look for other solutions (eg. hard drive people's box) for DLNA? Thanks.
Microguy

Postby kbenson » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Microguy wrote:These two statements seem to contradict each other.

DLNA is not the only method for providing local streaming, so the statements don't necessarily contradict each other. You may think that it would make sense for them to add DLNA support to fulfill their desired local streaming plans (which I think would be a valid assumption given the support of the technology), but we really know very little about their actual plans.

There have been threads in the general forum where it was discussed that while the hardware support mpeg2, the software may not be licensed to use mpeg2. If that's the case, it could be expensive to add mpeg2 support, which is required for DLNA, right? I have no idea how valid this is...
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
kbenson

Postby Microguy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:39 am

kbenson wrote:
Microguy wrote:...but we really know very little about their actual plans.

Agreed. That could make it tough to compete with other devices that also do local streaming, without transcoding, for the same price.
Microguy

Postby Arwen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:37 am

kbenson wrote:
Microguy wrote:These two statements seem to contradict each other.

DLNA is not the only method for providing local streaming, so the statements don't necessarily contradict each other. You may think that it would make sense for them to add DLNA support to fulfill their desired local streaming plans (which I think would be a valid assumption given the support of the technology), but we really know very little about their actual plans.

There have been threads in the general forum where it was discussed that while the hardware support mpeg2, the software may not be licensed to use mpeg2. If that's the case, it could be expensive to add mpeg2 support, which is required for DLNA, right? I have no idea how valid this is...

Their appear to be different levels of DLNA support. For
example no one would consider the Roku streaming media
player a portable device. Yet, reading DLNA supported
formats indicates that MP3 support is only required for
portable devices.

Tekzilla, (from channel Revision3), episode 173 about 6 minutes
in, lists the required formats for a "Home Device" as these;

Photo - JPEG
Audio - LPCM, (2 channel)
Video - MPEG2

Everything else is optional.

Now we all know that some home servers have enough
horse power to transcode. But the Roku probably does
not have enough horse power to transcode MPEG2 to
MPEG4 in software. That's why it has built in hardware
to do the decode.

As mentioned, purchasing the rights for all Roku streaming
media players to support MPEG2 might be too costly. And
without MPEG2 support, it can't be considered a DLNA Home
Device.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
Arwen

Postby fmedina » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 am

So I guess I should be selling my little Roku box on ebay. I bought it with the expectation that it would eventually include DLNA compatible browsing of my local media. From what I am reading, there is little chance of that happening in 2011. I understand there might not be transcoding, but I was not expecting that.

I guess I should not have been cheap and just bought another PS3 :-)

What a dissapointment. I am happy with everything else Roku does, but not streaming local media is a deal breaker.

Thanks for the memories Roku!
fmedina

Next

Return to Roku Developer Program