International Channels and DISHWorld Exclusivity

Roku's free SDK allows developers to build channels and applications and publish them to the Roku Channel Store. Register for the Developer Program at http://www.roku.com/developer

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen, RokuChris, RokuJoel

International Channels and DISHWorld Exclusivity

Postby RokuPatrick » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi All,

In May, Roku and DISH announced a partnership to bring the DISHWorld service to Roku streaming players in North America. DISH is the leader in delivering international programming to the TV and Roku sees DISHWorld as a key part of our international content strategy. Moving forward, we will look exclusively to DISHWorld to manage and expand our international content offering in North America. Content owners who wish to make their content available on Roku in the U.S. or Canada may be able to do so by distributing it through the DISHWorld service. Please contact DISHWorld at ottpartner@dish.com for more information. If you have any questions, please contact Roku at partners@roku.com.

Thanks,
Roku

[EDIT] Since there's been some confusion, when i locked this thread, I posted the following. I'll repost here to make sure everyone sees it:

Hi everyone,

I want to reiterate and elaborate on a few things. Going forward, DISHWorld is our exclusive provider for International and Foreign Language content in North America. We believe this deal will provide the best results and experience for content owners, end users and Roku.

Due to the exclusivity and to help make sure there is no confusion for new channels, we have updated the developer agreement to require all international or foreign language channels to require written permission before proceeding on Roku (this includes private channels). Typically, we're going to ask that you speak to DISHWorld first. There may be (and are) cases where they will waive the exclusivity for certain channels or content, but you're going to have to speak to them to discuss.

I suggest that if there's any question about your (proposed) channel, please contact us. If you contact dish, do so with ottpartner@dish.com. Calling other numbers or emailing others will not result in the right discussion or correct answers. ottpartner@dish.com is specifically set up to deal with Roku distribution. Likewise, contacting Roku about this through venues other than partners@roku.com (or me) will not result in the correct discussion.

As far as existing channels go, the answer is yes, with DISH's exclusivity, we will be migrating some channels off of the Roku platform. Those channels that are affected have been contacted and we are working with them to ease the transition. We do not intend to cut off end users if they've paid for a subscription and are working with the developers/publishers to deal with that for those channels that are affected.

Finally, we understand that DISHWorld is not available on non-Roku2 products. Keep an eye out on that front.

I'm locking this thread. The correct venue for your questions is probably to email us at partners@roku.com and we can help discuss your particular case and concerns and make sure you get correct information. End users should contact Roku support.
Patrick
Roku Developer Program Manager
RokuPatrick

Re: International Channels and DISHWorld Exclusivity

Postby marklafs » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:40 pm

Have anyone been having problems accessing dishworld on your roku?? I haven't been able to access my dishworld channel, when I do it will give error "cannot connect to the internet while contacting dishworldiptv server". But all the rest of my channels are working, netflix, crackle, hulu plus and amazon.
marklafs

Postby destruk » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Are you going to tell us if Dishworld wants to charge developers for creating foreign language channels to 'add to their service'?
destruk

Postby RokuPatrick » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:00 pm

marklafs wrote:Have anyone been having problems accessing dishworld on your roku?? I haven't been able to access my dishworld channel, when I do it will give error "cannot connect to the internet while contacting dishworldiptv server". But all the rest of my channels are working, netflix, crackle, hulu plus and amazon.

Please contact DISHWorld Support
Patrick
RokuPatrick

Postby RokuPatrick » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:02 pm

destruk wrote:Are you going to tell us if Dishworld wants to charge developers for creating foreign language channels to 'add to their service'?

It's up to each content owner to work out a deal with DISHWorld. There's no development needed. AFAIK, content owners supply the content, and DISHWorld manages all of the delivery and billing.
Patrick
RokuPatrick

Postby tensen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 am

RokuPatrick wrote:
destruk wrote:It's up to each content owner to work out a deal with DISHWorld. There's no development needed. AFAIK, content owners supply the content, and DISHWorld manages all of the delivery and billing.

Are developers meant to read into this that we have to turn away any possible international clients that approach us?
tensen

Postby RokuPatrick » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:28 am

tensen wrote:
RokuPatrick wrote:
destruk wrote:It's up to each content owner to work out a deal with DISHWorld. There's no development needed. AFAIK, content owners supply the content, and DISHWorld manages all of the delivery and billing.

Are developers meant to read into this that we have to turn away any possible international clients that approach us?

I wouldn't say you have to do that (since we're still publishing international channels outside of North America), however, you absolutely should check with us first since international/foreign language channels require written approval from Roku, regardless of DISHWorld or region.
Patrick
RokuPatrick

Postby notcool » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:03 pm

This is bad move on Roku's part. Why would Dish want to offer their programming to international viewers through Roku when they can make more money through their regular service. Very disappointing business move by Roku...
notcool

Postby bandal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Second that for Public channels. But, private is still an option for the USA/Canada.
bandal

Postby RokuPatrick » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:36 pm

bandal wrote:Second that for Public channels. But, private is still an option for the USA/Canada.

Bandal,

That's incorrect. All International/Foreign Language channels, public or private need written approval from Roku. Moving forward with one without said permission is a violation of the developer agreement.
Patrick
RokuPatrick

Postby bandal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Patrick,

I spoke or wrote Ryan and he said Private is OK. He said you misunderstood the agreement.
I have the e-mail conversation on chat. So, if Private are you saying that we still have to go through Dish? If Private and I do not need to go through Dish, I will then need a written approval from Roku.

DA
bandal

Postby RokuPatrick » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:29 am

bandal wrote:Patrick,

I spoke or wrote Ryan and he said Private is OK. He said you misunderstood the agreement.
I have the e-mail conversation on chat. So, if Private are you saying that we still have to go through Dish? If Private and I do not need to go through Dish, I will then need a written approval from Roku.
DA

I'm not sure which Ryan you may have spoken to, but you were given incorrect information, and we don't have developer support chat. Please contact me if you'd like to discuss further.
Patrick
RokuPatrick

Postby cholmond » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:59 am

Has anyonase subscribed to dish tv international channels (indian:star, sony starplus etc) ? I would like to knwo their experience ? Are the channels clear ? Any problems / issues with Dish ? I had bad experience with dish in the past though not on roku.
cholmond

Postby bandal » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:55 pm

My India friends have tried it and said it is just OK, but they do not want to pay the monthly fee as it is way to high for what they get and said they would not continue after the first month.
bandal

Postby dev_guy_2012 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:51 pm

IMHO, it is a bad move by Roku. This has killed all the existing providers that were offering very good international packages at a reasonable rate.
The very reason I was attracted to Roku in the first place is the availability of these services and of course I like development on Roku too.
This move must have upset lot of expat users like me.
I am 100% sure this will affect their sales too, expats like us are directed to Roku from services provided by these other international service providers.
Everyone know the pricing at Dish is not very competitive and we have no option but to switch to a different box which still offers these services at a reasonable cost.
dev_guy_2012

Next

Return to Roku Developer Program