Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MSGreg
Visitor

[NOT A BUG] roScreen refresh, closing overlaid SpringBoard

[Edited to reflect I don't think this is a bug, based on TheEndless' response below, and to change mentions of "roDetailScreen" to "roSpringboardScreen"]

The following subroutine demonstrates a bug I think that is different from this other one.

The bug here is when opening an roSpringboardScreenon top of a double-buffered roScreen. After closing the roSpringboardScreen, the code requires an extra sleep/swapbuffers in order to redraw the screen as expected.
A sleep of 1 does not work (on my Roku 2 XS), but a sleep of 10 does. I believe neither the sleep nor the extra SwapBuffers should be necessary.

' Demonstrates a bug in redrawing an roScreen after the call/closing of an roSpringboardScreencomponent.
' Test on a Roku 2 XS, Software version 4.8 - build 1178
Sub roScreenBugDemo()

codes = bslUniversalControlEventCodes()

rscreen=CreateObject("roScreen",true)
msgport = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
rscreen.SetPort(msgport)

while (true)
' Draw a blue background, wait for OK button
rscreen.Clear(&h0000FFFF)
rscreen.SwapBuffers()

while (true)
msg=wait(0, msgport) ' wait for OK button
if type(msg)="roUniversalControlEvent" then
print "**** UniversalControl Event Int ";msg.GetInt()
if msg.GetInt()=codes.BUTTON_SELECT_PRESSED then 'ok button pressed
exit while
end if
end if
end while

' At this point, the OK button has been pressed
' So let's create the springboard with two choices.
' The user can select to exit the screenboard normally, or with the extra sleep/swapbuffers
dscreen = CreateObject("roSpringboardScreen")
dscreen.SetDescriptionStyle("generic")
dscreen.SetPosterStyle("rounded-square-generic")
dscreen.AddButton(0,"Ok")
dscreen.AddButton(1,"With Extra SwapBuffers")
dscreen.SetContent({Description:"Press OK, and you then can't move the button, (we'll be in the roScreen event loop). And if you press 'OK' again, then you'll see a 'new' detailscreen in which you can move the cursor."})
port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
dscreen.SetMessagePort(port)
dscreen.Show()

while true
extra = false
msg = wait(0, port)
if msg.isScreenClosed() then
exit while
else if msg.isButtonPressed()
print "msg: "; msg.GetMessage(); "idx: "; msg.GetIndex()
if (msg.GetIndex() = 0 )
exit while
else if (msg.GetIndex() = 1 )
extra = true
exit while
end if
endif
end while
dscreen.Close()
if ( extra )
' If this sleep/swapbuffers is NOT called, then the detailscreen remains visible
' At that point, you can't move the button, and if you press "OK again, then you see a "new"
' detailscreen in which you can move the cursor.

' This error points to the clear/swapbuffers at the beginning of the event loop
' are ineffective without these two statements:
sleep(100) ' sleep(1) isn't apparently long enough for the Roku 2 XS
rscreen.SwapBuffers() ' both the sleep and this extra SwapBuffers is required, I don't know why
' Note that after this loops, the first thing we do is redraw and swapbuffers again.
end if
end while
End Sub
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: roScreen bug refresh after closing overlaid roDetailsScr

Technically, according to the documentation, what you're doing shouldn't be possible at all. Per the documentation:

"http wrote:
Once an roScreen is created, the display stack enters "Game Mode", and other screen components cannot be used. Other screen components cannot be intermixed with roScreens as the roScreen display stack is maintained independently from the main screen component display stack. When the final roScreen component is closed, other screen components can be used again.

Based on that, you shouldn't be able to display the details screen at all until you've destroyed the roScreen, which your code doesn't appear to be doing. "Game Mode" is probably what's causing the behavior you're seeing.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

Re: roScreen bug refresh after closing overlaid roDetailsScr

Thanks! Based on the documentation, I retract the categorization of this as a "bug".

You are correct that my code does not destroy the roScreen prior to showing the roDetailsScreen. Perhaps the way I'm trying to use this is an undocumented, unsupported feature. If even that.

I originally interpreted "Components" to be roImageCanvas. But on reading again, I think you're right.

Perhaps I'll rewrite to destroy the roScreen before creating the roSpringBoard.

I wonder if the restriction requires destroing roScreen before *CreateObject* roSpringBoard or before *Show()* roSpringBoard.

Thanks, TheEndless. It seems like you're my personal Roku Developer Guide. Your ** Valued Community Member ** is well earned. I appreciate it!
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: [NOT A BUG] roScreen refresh, closing overlaid SpringBoa

An roScreen.Close() command would be great to have - otherwise you destroy the roscreen by exiting the function/subroutine that created it - which means it could still be floating around in ram somewhere before the garbage collector kicks in.
Setting it to =nothing frees the reference, but I'd like to see some more definitive way of destroying the created component.
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

I was hoping that I could use an roScreen as a part of a menu stack of roParagraphScreens/roPosterScreens, and be able to place a roSpringBoardScreen occasionally on top for user interaction. In my use case, I would expect the roScreen to completely obscure what is under it and it would be completely obscured by what was on top of it. That way, you could choose roImageCanvas or roScreen as needed and still maintain a menu stack.

Based on the comment in the manual, this would not be officially supported. If there is another official stance, I'd love to hear it 🙂
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"MSGreg" wrote:
I was hoping that I could use an roScreen as a part of a menu stack of roParagraphScreens/roPosterScreens, and be able to place a roSpringBoardScreen occasionally on top for user interaction. In my use case, I would expect the roScreen to completely obscure what is under it and it would be completely obscured by what was on top of it. That way, you could choose roImageCanvas or roScreen as needed and still maintain a menu stack.

Based on the comment in the manual, this would not be officially supported. If there is another official stance, I'd love to hear it 🙂

Presumably you still have references to all of the bitmaps and/or sprites you're drawing to the screen, so you should be able to just invalidate the roScreen immediately before showing the other UI screens, then recreate it as soon as the screens higher in the stack get closed. I'm 95% sure it's just the use of the video buffer that's in contention, so invalidating the screen should release it. For example,

screen = CreateObject("roScreen", True)
compositor = CreateObject("roCompositor")
compositor.SetDrawTo(screen, &H000000FF)
' bitmap and sprite creation and drawing
... event loop code ...
' event triggers the details screen
' invalidate the roScreen object to release the reference and buffer
screen = invalid

' draw your details screen and block
ShowDetailsScreen() 'blocks until closed

' details screen is closed, recreate roScreen
screen = CreateObject("roScreen", True)
' compositor is still in memory with all of its sprites intact, so
' we just need to reset its target to the new screen reference
' and redraw all of its sprites
compositor.SetDrawTo(screen)
compositor.DrawAll()
' repaint the screen
screen.SwapBuffers()
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos