Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube for VOD?

Is Youtube a good option to use to host video files for a Roku channel? It seems like the multiple sizes would integrate well with the multiple bitrates... I've seen some code, so it looks like some people have done it, but is a good option?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Youtube for VOD?

"recordlikedaniel" wrote:
Is Youtube a good option to use to host video files for a Roku channel?

Not if you intend to access the YouTube API from your channel.

https://developers.google.com/youtube/terms

Your API Client will not... access any portion of any YouTube audiovisual content by any means other than use of a YouTube player or other video player expressly authorized by YouTube
0 Kudos

Wow! Ok. I'm not sure I understand the relation of the API... Let me restate what I understand just to make sure I understand correctly: If I use code in my Roku channel that links directly to actual mp4s hosted on YouTube, since it is Youtube's content and it doesn't use YouTube's player, or an approved player (Roku is not an approved player I take it?) then I would be in violation of YouTube's terms of service... Is that a correct restatement?
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

I'm not a lawyer, so I won't comment on your interpretation. If you search around the forums a bit you'll find plenty of enlightening discussion on this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55713&p=380211#p380211

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
we don't believe that today a Roku channel can stream from YouTube without violating YouTube's terms of service
0 Kudos