Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

Wrong or no audio with MKV video

The video plays fine, it's just wrong audio and no subtitles

Profile from VLC:
MKV movie - tracks
0 - H264 MPEG-4 AVC (part10)(avc1) 1920x800 frame rate 23.9
1 - A52 stereo AC3 language Русский 48000 Hz 384Kb/s
2 - DTS language English, 6 channels 48000 Hz
3 - Subtitle language Русский (subt)
4 - Subtitle language English (subt)

Русский is Russian in Russian

Roku3 with surround sound, captions on - Plays track 1 and no captions available
Roku3 with stereo, captions on - No audio and no captions available

AudioLanguageSelected is set to eng
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Wrong or no audio with MKV video

If I'm reading that right, there is no traditional stereo track in the video. Even though track 1 is stereo, it's encoded as Dolby Digital 2.0 (AC3), so the Roku won't be able to decode it. AC3 and DTS are only supported via passthrough, and only when the Roku is set to surround sound.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

It plays only track 1 on the Roku, IF it is set as surround sound. Maybe AC3 being the reason ???
But by setting the audio language, you would think it would select track 2 for pass through ???
If I use VLC on the mac, it plays track 1 or track2. The first one is Russian and the second in English.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"greubel" wrote:
It plays only track 1 on the Roku, IF it is set as surround sound. Maybe AC3 being the reason ???
But by setting the audio language, you would think it would select track 2 for pass through ???
If I use VLC on the mac, it plays track 1 or track2. The first one is Russian and the second in English.

Ahh.. different issue. You're not getting audio when set to stereo, because there is no PCM stereo track. Not sure why it wouldn't be using the correct audio stream otherwise, though, unless AudioLanguageSelected only works for PCM audio.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
ljunkie
Visitor

I am seeing the "same" issue. I have an MKV with AC3 (french) and DTS (english).

Using a roVideoScreen and setting the videoItem.AudioLanguageSelected = "eng" doesn't seem to work. The MKV played from a HTTP url will only play the AC3 track.

Can anyone confirm that MKV over HTTP works with the AudioLanguageSelected option?

Source file audio streams:
Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Duration : 1h 44mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 480 MiB (6%)
Title : AC3 5.1
Language : French
Default : Yes
Forced : Yes

Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Mode : 16
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 1h 44mn
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.11 GiB (14%)
Title : DTS 5.1
Language : English
Default : No
Forced : No
0 Kudos
morganfj
Binge Watcher

Yet Another problem with ROKU...
Does not play sounds in MKV file not compiled specifically to ROKU standard... :evil:

So thankful my Media player is not as FINICKY as ROKU.... please don't post a reply stating "I'm wrong" because you think everyone should 'comply' to one standard..... I myself expect media players to work with the formats 'stated' by manufacturer... 😮

If ROKU does not get it's act together, the competitors like kindle, Google will take over... So far Google and Kindle seem both to play without Resets and Bad Audio.

I really want be surprised if this is fixed, but NOT in my unit.... ROKU will want us to by a new unit. 😞
0 Kudos
adrianc1982
Visitor

ive also found problems with mkv and audio

models below 3050 will play choppy audio on my mkvs but works fine on roku 2 xd, xs, roku stick and roku 3

audio format that gives me trouble is:
container AAC
sample rate: 48000
stereo
0 Kudos
mike_ekim
Visitor

OP - are you sure the TV (or receiver) can play the passed-through audio?
0 Kudos
hugetv
Visitor

how could I make this work well roku
Our system http://www.rokumanager.com
0 Kudos