Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joetesta
Roku Guru

vertical alignment bug on roListScreen?

I'm trying to set up a list screen with a full-height image similar to the Amazon instant video's Home screen and I'm seeing a strange issue with the vertical alignment of images placed with HDBackgroundImageUrl.

When I make changes and first side load the channel, the image is pushed down a few pixels and there is a gap between the header and top of the image. Then if I exit and re-enter the channel, without changing anything, the image is pushed up about 1 pixel above the bottom of the header. I've been trying to debug this but so far nothing I'm doing seems to have any effect on that vertical alignment. Can anyone give me any clues what's going on here? I'd really like it to line up seamlessly with the bottom of the header, but after fiddling with practically every theme setting, I have no idea what's causing the vertical variation.

tyvmia for any help,
Joe
aspiring
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: vertical alignment bug on roListScreen?

Maybe I'm having the issue because the artwork is in the "transition area" @ 132 on HD, but it just seems really odd that the first view after sideloading is different than everything subsequent.
aspiring
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Findings today:
The height of the image seems to have no bearing on this issue. An image too tall or too small both behave the same in my channel.
The "push down" effect happens not only after sideloading, but also after rebooting the roku.
The "push down" does not seem to happen in SD mode, only HD. But the 1 pixel overlap happens in both SD & HD.
I've tried on 3 diffferent roku models w 2 different firmwares and all seem to behave the same.

A workaround for the overlap is to have at the top of the image a 1 pixel stripe colored to match the overhang - this looks perfect except during the "push down" effect that seems to happen the first time the channel loads.

I tried with a much smaller overhang to make sure we're not in the transition area and I still get the "push down" after sideloading. This has got to be a bug - is it really only happening for me?
aspiring
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

noticed the example found here http://blog.roku.com/developer/2012/07/20/using-the-enhanced-list-screen/ doesn't have the issues. just changed my overhang background from full width to a slice but that did not fix it 😞
Noticed the "slice" in the example is much taller (165px vs 132) and they use the same slice for SD & HD. I think this must be the key, having a slice / background that extends below the transition zone. I'm still getting the 1px overlap but as long as it's consistent I can work with that.
aspiring
0 Kudos