Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Channel Surfer

roListScreen and roImageCanvas

This is probably a dumb question but I am really not sure if I understand. Is it possible to have roListScreen with a roImageCanvas at the same time? I have a roListScreen and would like to add a small player to the right side of the list, kinda of like a preview screen. I think I can create the roImageCanvas and FramedScreen but before I spend alot of timing trying to put it together wanted to make sure they will work together.
Thanks
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
dcrandall
Visitor

Re: roListScreen and roImageCanvas

I don't know, but one thing I would think would get tricky is where you forward the events. Like, the list screen gets events as 'roListScreenEvent', I believe. So if you had the canvas on the upper layer... how would you get the events to the list screen when you needed them (I ask rhetorically, because I don't know either)?
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Thank you for the input, and you are correct I attempted to put together something and having trouble with such.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Only the top screen on the screen stack is active. That's the only screen that can accept input. So layering an ImageCanvas on a ListScreen will make the ListScreen dormant, even if part of it shows through the transparency.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
Only the top screen on the screen stack is active. That's the only screen that can accept input. So layering an ImageCanvas on a ListScreen will make the ListScreen dormant, even if part of it shows through the transparency.

What if roImageCanvas handles the input events and uses setFocusedListItem() to manipulate the roListScreen underneath - will that do?

Naturally there will be no roListScreenEvents but if list-screen can be trusted to re-draw itself according to changes of focus, this contraption may work?!
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

I'm not really sure. I don't think the ListScreen will redraw if it's not the top screen, but I'm not sure about that.

--Mark
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuMarkn" wrote:

What if roImageCanvas handles the input events and uses setFocusedListItem() to manipulate the roListScreen underneath - will that do?

Naturally there will be no roListScreenEvents but if list-screen can be trusted to re-draw itself according to changes of focus, this contraption may work?!

Last time I tried that, the answer was no. Only the top-most screen updates. You could potentially close and re-open the canvas to force an update to the list screen, but I suspect that would cause a nasty flicker.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

How is the Roku My Channels screen created? It looks like a roListScreen on the left with the menu options but there are multiple channel icons on the right.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"btpoole" wrote:
How is the Roku My Channels screen created? It looks like a roListScreen on the left with the menu options but there are multiple channel icons on the right.

The device home screen is not built with BrightScript
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Can a roListScreen be target to a particular place on a canvas or is it always going to be the same size and located full screen? I understand the top most layer gets focus. What I am trying to accomplish is being able to have a pop up menu in one corner of the screen. I have the player below and a layer that comes up in the corner displaying my border of the pop up menu, in the target area of the pop menu border I can even get text to display on a layer above the border. All this works as desired. What I would like to have come up instead of just text I assign to the location is a list that comes from an array. Ideally this would be a roListScreen where the list is selectable and events would occur after the selection. I am fairly sure I can work thru the event to pass the info once a selection is made, I am just having trouble on how to get the list in the desired location.
Thanks for all the input.
0 Kudos