Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baldwin
Visitor

Roku Deploy Tools

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to share a quick script I threw together: https://github.com/stephenbaldwin/roku

I know that Roku offers an eclipse plugin, but I find eclipse far too heavy and prefer using vim in a light environment. Manually navigating to the box's URL, zipping the files up and uploading took way too much time and wasn't feasible for me so I threw this ruby gem together. It's saved me a ton of time and hopefully will be of use to some other roku devs out there.

I have more functionality in my local version (packaging, quick access to telnet log without having to enter IP, etc) that I haven't published yet because the codes not cleaned up, but if anyone finds this useful let me know and i'll publish them as well.

This works in unix environments and SHOULD work fine on windows.. If anyone runs into any issues, just open a pull request and I'll handle it

- Stephen
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Deploy Tools

You are right doing BRS in Eclipse is not worth it.
Personally i don't need ruby jewels either though - deploy&run is easy to do with a tiny script like viewtopic.php?f=34&t=70133#p442404
0 Kudos
baldwin
Visitor

I definitely agree that a simple bash script is more than enough for basic deploy - thanks for sharing your shell script. I see you mentioned something about having zip only update changes? Could you provide a little more info on how you implemented that?

Essentially the reason for it being packaged as a ruby gem is for the other deploy features and scripts i threw together that i haven't included yet.

For example:
1. On Package it crushes and optimizes all images automatically
2. Ability to have multiple boxes per project configure without having to switch around env variables (ie: roku deploy box1, roku deploy box2, roku deploy all)
3. Quick logging without having to keep track of your ip addresses (ie. roku debug box1 => translates into telnet box1ip 8085)
4. Code lint before deploy to catch all syntax errors up front
5. New project directory creation with manifest, directory structure and initializer (roku new project_x)

If anyone would find this useful or would like to help maintain, i'd be more than happy to start publishing the other functions
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"baldwin" wrote:
I definitely agree that a simple bash script is more than enough for basic deploy - thanks for sharing your shell script. I see you mentioned something about having zip only update changes? Could you provide a little more info on how you implemented that?

And simple is all that's needed in my experience. YAGNI on the rest:
(1) i wouldn't want to crush and optimize images repeatedly; do it right the first time
(2) i'd do that from command line (e.g. `for i in box1 box2; do deploy.sh $i; done`) if i ever needed to do it - which i don't
(3) name-IP mapping has to be done somewhere somehow; i'd do it in /etc/hosts (or even better trust DHCP/DDNS auto) rather than a config file
(4) there is lint for BrightScript?
(5) Oh, only if writing code was so easy that a script to copy template manifest file and create `source` subfolder would increase my productivity 8-)
I understand if you are used to doing things in ruby and it's part of a bigger picture for you though. Me, i am "Simplify, simplify, simplify" kind of guy.

Re update, i probably was about -FS, see older thread viewtopic.php?f=34&t=65779#p421303
0 Kudos