Can't get wireless with my Arris TM552 Cable Modem/Router

Discussions about Roku products, channels, and Roku-related topics.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Can't get wireless with my Arris TM552 Cable Modem/Router

Postby gigapus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi,

I just got my Roku last weekend. It has since taunted me with its welcoming message indicating that set-up should take no more than 3 minutes. After several calls to the tech support, they are now telling me that the Netflix Player is not compatible with my Arris TM552 Cable Modem/Router. I rent this Modem from the cable company, and my telephone runs through it (so it's not going anywhere). The Roku tech team has not filled me with confidence so far, so I thought I would dangle the question out there.

Has anyone successfully hooked up their Netflix Player via wireless with an Arris TM552 cable modem/router?

A few important points:

1. My TV is on the other side of my house from my desktop / router. Pluggin' in is not an option.
2. I have changed every setting available on my router (at least the ones that I know won't blow it up) to no avail.
3. As much as I would like to turn it over to Arris, they have no available customer support (unless I shell out more than the Roku costs for a service contract on a modem/router that I rent).
4. My cable internet provider, who also rents me the modem, has excellent service, but they don't know enough about the Roku to resolve this issue. They also offer no alternate brands on the modem. I asked.

Any and all advice is welcome. Please. No really, pppllleeeaaassssse.
gigapus

Postby whtyouthnkngfool » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:29 pm

what you might be able to do is use that just as a cable modem and then pop a $40 belkin router in there for wireless and that might allow you to get by it but first, is there anyway what so ever u could do a wired connection just to test it for a minute?
whtyouthnkngfool

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:15 am

Gigapus, your tech support call ticket was originally escalated to me yesterday. Unfortunately, there is not a lot we can offer at this point. Because the Arris modem/router is leased by the ISP, and not available through any retail sources, we have no way of testing it. Also, since it is tied to the particular ISP that is local to you, we would not be able have access to the broadband network that you are on. From our limited experience with these leased combo modem/routers, the basic things to check are any firewall and quality of service (QoS) settings in the Arris modem. Turn those off if they are on.

I've been searching for any sort of documentation on the Arris modem in order to see what the settings screens look like for that product, but have not been able to find anything. It's going to be very difficult to figure out what is going on without knowing anything about that modem. In addition to the Arris product, we've had users who had similar difficulties with Actiontec combo modem/routers as well. Some users with that modem have had success setting up an ICMP port forwarding rule in the router's setup. If you are familiar enough with the Arris setup screens, you might try that.

If I recall your case, I believe your Roku Player was failing on the second step (connecting to local network). In terms of the four steps in the connection status sequence here is what is happening. Maybe this will provide some insight as to what is causing the problem:

1. Connecting to Wireless Network - This light indicates that the Roku player was able to obtain an IP Address from the DHCP server (the router).

2. Connecting to LAN - Pinging the Gateway - A single ICMP packet is sent and received between the Roku player & router/gateway. This is why turning off firewalls fixes this step.

3. Connecting to the Internet - DNS Resolution - A resolution request is sent to the DNS server for moviecontrol.netflix.com & netflix.software.rokulabs.com. This means that three name servers must respond correctly to get past this step. The name server from the ISP and then the name servers for netflix.com & rokulabs.com.

4. Connecting to Netflix - The box then opens an http connection to netflix.software.rokulabs.com for a software version check. A connection is then opened to moviecontrol.netflix.com, SSL certs are exchanged, HTTPS is established and verification codes are sent.

If all else fails, the only other option I can suggest, as someone else pointed out, is to attach an inexpensive dedicated wireless router to the Arris and let it do the wireless networking. A number of users in the same situation as you have done this and have had success. We have tested the Roku Player with a range of Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, Belkin and Apple wireless routers so there are plenty of options if you go that route.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby gigapus » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:52 pm

James and wytf - thank you for your responses.

James - if screenshots is what you want, I can certainly provide you with them. Would a full set in a powerpoint be OK? Unfortunately, I am very busy with my work right now, and it might be a couple of days before I can provide it, but it would be very easy for me to do. Do you already have my e-mail address from the service ticket? If not, please provide some contact info and I will be very happy to work with you on this.

Since you mention it, I believe I do have QoS enabled, but I believe I have tried with it off. I will try again. As I said to the call center, I have a lot of Firewall options, but I do not have a simple ON/OFF for the firewall overall. I am, of course, not open to leaving my wireless access unsecured.

Please let me know, either through this forum, or through my e-mail, how best to contact you and I will send a series of screenshots of the router settings (hopefully in the next 24 hours).

Thank you!
gigapus
gigapus

Postby RokuJamesL » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:58 am

If you want to take the time to do screenshots, then yes, by all means feel free to e-mail them to me and we'll see if we can figure out what we can do about all the settings on the modem. At the bottom of my posts here, there should be an "e-mail" button you can select to open an e-mail to me.

One thing about making any changes in your router/modem setup. Whenever you make and save any changes, I would recommend power cycling both the modem and the Roku Player. That ensures any residual settings get cleared. I've seen instances where the connection still fails until everything is power cycled.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion