Stuck in "retrieving movies" mode

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Stuck in "retrieving movies" mode

Postby jafi » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:23 am

I've had my Roku box several months. Last night when I tried to watch a movie I kept getting a "retrieving movies from your instant Queue" message when I hit the play movie button.

It never moves on. I tried cycling the Roku when I saw it was still in retrieve mode this morning. Now it just sticks in retrieving mode.

Tells me I connected to my home network and have an excellent signal.
Movies play fine over my laptop on the same network.

Rebooted the router (a 2wire) - made no difference. Did a factory reset - but looks like the Netflix site is now down so I'll have to wait to see if that worked.

I'm looking for any others who have had this problem after the box working fine for a couple of months.

Thanks,
-jafi
Last edited by jafi on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jafi

Postby jafi » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:59 am

Factory reset worked, it now retrieves movies. Would still like to understand what the problem was, and why it required a factory reset to work.
jafi

Postby DoomsDay » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:58 pm

I have seen this happen when netflix is down for maintenance. It doesn't happen a lot but it does come up occasionally. More than likely it was just down for a few hours and that was what caused the problem.
DoomsDay

Postby jafi » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:13 pm

To me that's what was strange. I could watch via my laptop on the Netflix site while the Roku was stuck in the retrieving mode last night. I guess if they're using a different server to stream to the box than you connect to the via the website., or something on the box didn't reset correctly if there was a site outage.
jafi

Postby mitukor » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Yes. This just happened to me as well. Very frustrating. I will try a reset and see what happens. That mean reentering the WEP key. What a PITA.
mitukor

Postby mitukor » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:00 pm

OK. Factory reset worked. Clearly some sort of race condition caused by server outage. Hope the Roku lads will pick up a book on exception handling.
mitukor

Postby mikal » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:36 am

I just had this problem as well (the device was left in the "downloading instant queue" state for over a week). A factory reset did fix the problem, but I had to reactivate the device with Netflix. I wonder if that counts in my 4 device activations per 12 month period?
mikal

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion