HD netflix streaming coming to xbox 360, Roku.......

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Postby wideasleep1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:09 am

shelleyp wrote:I don't think its unreasonable to ask them to give us some definitive answers -- or at least clarifications -- in this forum, created as a place for Roku company employees and customers to interact.

In my years here, I've never gotten that impression. I don't think your request is unreasonable, but your venue for official answers is misplaced.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby shelleyp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:15 am

wideasleep1 wrote:
shelleyp wrote:I don't think its unreasonable to ask them to give us some definitive answers -- or at least clarifications -- in this forum, created as a place for Roku company employees and customers to interact.

In my years here, I've never gotten that impression. I don't think your request is unreasonable, but your venue for official answers is misplaced.

This is the only forum we have. If Roku isn't paying attention to this forum, or to the concerns and questions being asked here, then perhaps our problems with the company go far beyond whether and when it will start delivering on all the things promised the last several months.
shelleyp

Postby wideasleep1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:49 am

shelleyp wrote:then perhaps our problems with the company go far beyond whether and when it will start delivering on all the things promised the last several months.

Is every problem you face answered with a new conspiracy theory?

What ever happened to enjoying the product out of the box? If it NEVER did another thing, I got my $100 worth. I HOPE more can be delivered, but it will be icing.

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby shelleyp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:58 am

wideasleep1 wrote:What ever happened to enjoying the product out of the box? If it NEVER did another thing, I got my $100 worth. I HOPE more can be delivered, but it will be icing.

Go for it. But do you mind if the rest of us have a different opinion?
shelleyp

Postby wideasleep1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:08 am

shelleyp wrote:
wideasleep1 wrote:What ever happened to enjoying the product out of the box? If it NEVER did another thing, I got my $100 worth. I HOPE more can be delivered, but it will be icing.

Absolutely..but please don't waste our time with a plethora of needless speculation, even if you are pre-disposed to it.

wideasleep1

Postby shelleyp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:14 am

wideasleep1 wrote:
shelleyp wrote:

Absolutely..but please don't waste our time with a plethora of needless speculation, even if you are pre-disposed to it.

I wasn't aware that you were forced to read anything we post. Poor baby. Tied to the computer, are you?
shelleyp

Postby lovemytoys » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:45 am

I read on another Blog that Netfix was streaming Heros in HD to the XBox 360. I put it on the Roku and the quality looked if not 720p something close to it. Maybe it is just wistful thinking. (Probably the Roku lads are laughing at this post).

That being said I had to adjust the aspect - it didn't pull in 16 x 9

There was no 5.1 audio.

Curious if other people see any difference.
lovemytoys

hd coming

Postby waiting4hd » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 am

why has someone from roku not replied to all of these posts as to whether or not the Roku box we were promised was HD ready is going to receive HD at the same time as the XBOX 360
waiting4hd

Re: hd coming

Postby DoomsDay » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:26 pm

waiting4hd wrote:why has someone from roku not replied to all of these posts as to whether or not the Roku box we were promised was HD ready is going to receive HD at the same time as the XBOX 360

Because they are probably under some nda that does not allow them to talk about it.
DoomsDay

Postby lovemytoys » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:19 pm

Which if they are is probably a good sign.
lovemytoys

Postby tonyd79 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:05 pm

Of course, even under an NDA, they could say that the announcement made has no affect on their plans.
tonyd79

Re: hd coming

Postby wideasleep1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:24 pm

waiting4hd wrote:why has someone from roku not replied to all of these posts as to whether or not the Roku box we were promised was HD ready is going to receive HD at the same time as the XBOX 360

The article referenced in the OP is simply wrong...Roku need not respond at all. Here's a podcast from yesterday, that sets the record straight: (first 2 minutes of this Buzz Out Loud/CNET podcast has the particulars)

http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/1pcast.bol ... 103008.mp3

wideasleep1

Postby crooze38 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:06 am

Regardless of what happens with "HD" capability and Roku I will stand by "Roku" and Open Source devices over m$ every day of the week and twice on Sundays. If m$ wants to go flashing the bottomless wallet in the direction of Netflix then let em'. They can foot the bill for the cost/implementation/logistics of a capable HD stream for the rest :) As far as going out and purchasing an Xbox I would not do it just for this reason. Well I wouldn't do it period actually hehe.

Humble yourselves and be patient :)
crooze38

Postby RokuTim » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:49 am

First, let me apologize for our delay in responding to this thread. Typically we don’t comment on unannounced products and features, but clearly this is an important topic to you, our most loyal and involved fans. So, I’m pulling back the curtain a bit earlier than usual. Here’s the scoop…

- Roku will be delivering Netflix in HD by the end of the year
- Roku will be using Advanced Profile encodes which will deliver HD at substantially lower bit-rates than what Xbox is offering
- The number of titles is up to Netflix but the library will be the same as or larger than the Xbox library
- The UI will be updated to run in 720p and more covers will be visible on the screen at a time
- And the release will include another major new feature that you’ll have to wait a bit longer to learn about ;)

All of us at Roku truly appreciate your interest and support. We build these products for you and it’s hugely gratifying to get your feedback – even when you’re unhappy with us. We will continue to do everything we can to deliver the best content at the best value in the most consumer-friendly manner possible.

Thanks for your support,
Tim
RokuTim

Postby wideasleep1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:22 pm

RokuTim wrote:First, let me apologize for our delay in responding to this thread. Typically we don’t comment on unannounced products and features, but clearly this is an important topic to you, our most loyal and involved fans. So, I’m pulling back the curtain a bit earlier than usual. Here’s the scoop…

- Roku will be delivering Netflix in HD by the end of the year
- Roku will be using Advanced Profile encodes which will deliver HD at substantially lower bit-rates than what Xbox is offering
- The number of titles is up to Netflix but the library will be the same as or larger than the Xbox library
- The UI will be updated to run in 720p and more covers will be visible on the screen at a time
- And the release will include another major new feature that you’ll have to wait a bit longer to learn about ;)

All of us at Roku truly appreciate your interest and support. We build these products for you and it’s hugely gratifying to get your feedback – even when you’re unhappy with us. We will continue to do everything we can to deliver the best content at the best value in the most consumer-friendly manner possible.

Thanks for your support,
Tim

This is excellent news: both the ui update, and the fact I was surprised wrt the near-8mbps suggestion, as I upgraded to 6mb in preparation for HD...so I'm pleased to say the least!
As to your last point..../raspberry! LOL Looking forward to whatever it is! 8) Thanks Tim!!

wideasleep1

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion