Increase Roku Box memory?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Increase Roku Box memory?

Postby Gallon_Jug » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Is there a way to increase the buffer size/memory for the ROKU box?
With the Desktop I can watch Instant w/o a problem and if I have a slow down in download speed it just buffers then plays back fine.
I have a satellite ISP since there is no cable where I am.
90% of the time streaming is not a problem.
Gallon_Jug

Postby DoomsDay » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:05 pm

The simple answer is no. it only has 64meg of memory in the device. The more complicated answer is maybe. It depends on/if/when people can hack the box and possibly add memory onto it. And I have not read anywhere (granted I havent been looking to hard) of where people have really hacked the box yet.
DoomsDay

Postby xtalman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:55 pm

I have often wondered if the Xbox 360 has a bigger cache for streaming Netflix movies. Anyone know?
xtalman

Postby DoomsDay » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:56 pm

xtalman wrote:I have often wondered if the Xbox 360 has a bigger cache for streaming Netflix movies. Anyone know?

Since they state you need a hard drive to use it, I would assume yes. The way it reacts is exactly like it does on the computer.
DoomsDay

Re: Increase Roku Box memory?

Postby UnderLoK » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:01 am

Gallon_Jug wrote:Is there a way to increase the buffer size/memory for the ROKU box?
With the Desktop I can watch Instant w/o a problem and if I have a slow down in download speed it just buffers then plays back fine.
I have a satellite ISP since there is no cable where I am.
90% of the time streaming is not a problem.

A little off-topic, but unless you work for the ISP no amount of buffer will overcome you being taken down to 6kb/s after you hit the data cap. :P
UnderLoK

Data cap not an issue for the Hughes Sat ISP

Postby Gallon_Jug » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:25 am

"Data cap" is not an issue with my Hughes ISP via Sat.
The business account has large allotments and I can down/upload 200-300 MB files etc. w/o problems.

I can stream NetFlix Instant to the desktop computer all night long... download speeds average 400 mbs but with heavy weather it can drop to 280-300 but still works on the PC.

Streaming on-line any of the network TV programs also works 100% but not with the ROKU box.

Wonder if I can return the thing if I can not get more buffer space to actually use it.

Debated just getting a 30' S-video cable to the TV but thought the ROKU would be neater...
Guess not if it is not gonna work. Mega Poop.

Looks like $100 dropped down the hopper it seems.
Gallon_Jug

Re: Data cap not an issue for the Hughes Sat ISP

Postby Burkhardi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:00 am

Gallon_Jug wrote:"

Looks like $100 dropped down the hopper it seems.

I would get a hold of RokuLyndon, if you can stream on your PC that fast, you should be able to do so with the N1000 too.

Don't worry too much, they (the N1000) are selling on eBay for more then that...

Just wanted to easy your worry, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby cykosis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:16 pm

RoadRanger wrote:Hmm... my trusty sliderule tells me that at 2.2mbps 65MB can buffer almost 4 minutes of "stuff". 2.2mbps = 275KBs, divided into 64MB = 232 seconds. Even if it's only half available for buffering, a 2 minute interruption in your streaming just shouldn't ever happen.

The 2.2 number is only an average though.

If there's a particularly motion intensive scene, that number can jump to 6mbps for the duration of that scene, bringing the buffered time down to ~85 seconds. So even if your connection doesn't completely die, if it just experiences an extended slowdown for a couple of minutes it would be enough to cause a rebuffer.
cykosis

Postby cykosis » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:15 pm

RoadRanger wrote:I hope that is exaggerated a bit :shock: ? I'e be a bit miffed if what purports to be a 2.2 mbps stream is sneaking around gobbling up my entire 6mbps bandwidth without permission :shock: .

That's not really an exaggeration. And there's 2 problems with your line of thinking there:

1. It doesn't "purport to be" a 2.2 mbps stream. It is. Like with many encoders, I'm sure they input a target bitrate and quality settings and let it work it's magic, taking liberties to go up and down as it needs to but in the end finishing up near that average. That's what the buffer is for.

2. It's not doing it without your permission. You definitely had to decide to start playing it at some point.
cykosis

Re: Increase Roku Box memory?

Postby SkOrPn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:38 pm

I apologize for bringing and old thread back to life, but I have been wondering about this myself. I have a N1000 and a Panasonic BD65 bluray player. The BD player also has Netflix streaming and other streaming channels via viera cast or something, but I just cant stand the old Netflix interface, and absolutely love the new Roku interface, so for that reason alone I am using my Roku box over the BD player. Side by side comparisons showed that the BD player is no better at displaying streaming content as far as I can tell, it just looks the same except Roku has a MUCH nicer interface.. The only problem is the BD player downloads streams within seconds, but I have to wait a very long time for the Roku box to buffer the stream.

Is there anyway to simply replace the memory buffer chip with something much faster OR some way to increase the download speed of the onboard ethernet controller? My Internet connection is Docsis 3, 22 mb/s connection and never drops below around 16, but usually hovers around 30 mb/s with powerboost. Like I said the BD player downloads the same exact streams at the same exact time nearly ten times faster, seems to load in 1-2 seconds.

Any Advice? thanks
SkOrPn

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion