Hulu?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Do you want Hulu on your Roku?

I'll sell my box if it isn't added next!
5%
I definitely want it next!
60%
I want it soon.
24%
I don't care if it is added or not.
11%
I don't want it.
1%

Total votes : 283

Postby EagerBeaver » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:01 pm

jeffrok wrote:Again I don't think adding Hulu has any technical obstacles
That obstacle would be the Flash player. Can the Roku box run the full Adobe flash player?

-- I think it's more to do with who owns and operates Hulu, and whether or not it's a conflict of interest with Netflix, Amazon, or Roku.. Netflix makes money renting out many TV shows and movies, and maybe they are hesitant to allow Roku the right to have Hulu on their boxes, as it may take away Netflix business. I'm just speculating.
I think you're right. Hulu has to want to be on the Roku box. I don't think it's entirely Roku's decision to make.
EagerBeaver

Postby eri3k » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

EagerBeaver wrote:That obstacle would be the Flash player. Can the Roku box run the full Adobe flash player?

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/2 ... evolution/

Right now the simplicity and value of the Netflix proposition will drive the first wave of sales. But Mr. Wood is clear that the same hardware is capable of streaming other programming, including video in the Flash format, which is used by YouTube and many other sites that offer video. He didn’t talk about exactly what would be added when, but he was clear that more is in the works.

RokuTaylor adds some qualifications to Anthony Wood's statement here.
eri3k

Postby billc124 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:17 pm

I think you're right. Hulu has to want to be on the Roku box. I don't think it's entirely Roku's decision to make.

I wish all the people on here who keep whining about Hulu would read this statement. They seem to think it is just a matter of adding Hulu, but what if the parent companies of Hulu want to keep people going to the site for whatever reason.
billc124

Postby zapa47 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:11 pm

My guess is that Roku does not use the activeX controls that are needed from netflix. In the same way i dont think the ability to play flash on the device is a major issue. Hulu has a Queu system and allow you to embed movies into other sites so Hulu is not that concerned with driving users to the website. I think they mostly care about you seeing the comercials as much as possible.
zapa47

Postby -LD » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:19 pm

billc124 wrote:

I wish all the people on here who keep whining about Hulu would read this statement. They seem to think it is just a matter of adding Hulu, but what if the parent companies of Hulu want to keep people going to the site for whatever reason.

Well, to a certain extent it is just a matter of adding it. It doesn't violate the TOS of embedding Hulu as far as I am aware. Boxee has done this successfully.

That's not to say there aren't other technical limitations with the Roku hardware. But it certainly is possible to make a software that embeds the stream seamlessly for the end user without the help of Hulu.
-LD

Postby dag16 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:40 pm

-LD wrote:
billc124 wrote:

Well, to a certain extent it is just a matter of adding it. It doesn't violate the TOS of embedding Hulu as far as I am aware. Boxee has done this successfully.

That's not to say there aren't other technical limitations with the Roku hardware. But it certainly is possible to make a software that embeds the stream seamlessly for the end user without the help of Hulu.

I would definitely think it violates Hulu's TOU. First off, they clearly state:

"Hulu is pleased to grant you a limited license to access and make personal, non-commercial use of the Hulu Services."

They grant licenses to "distribution partner websites ("Distribution Sites"), and other websites where users may embed the Content (these websites, together with the Hulu Site and Distribution Sites, are referred to collectively as the "Sites")"

Hence, it's pretty clear that you need a license to stream, and Hulu controls these licenses..
dag16

HD content?

Postby billc124 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:13 pm

Wouldn't people rather watch the HD content available right from the networks websites instead of the SD content they make available on Hulu?

For example, if you go to fox.com you can watch Fringe in HD, on Hulu, it is SD or at least it is not in the minuscule HD gallery, even Netflix has more HD content than Hulu. They announced HD content back in December 2007 and the selection is pathetic. So to me, I would rather they add support for the individual networks unless Hulu drastically changes the amount of shows they offer in HD. I don't think anyone has brought this up before so perhaps that will change peoples minds?
billc124

Re: HD content?

Postby -LD » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:24 pm

billc124 wrote:Wouldn't people rather watch the HD content available right from the networks websites instead of the SD content they make available on Hulu?

That's a bogus, loaded question.

First, I would not want to watch TV on a website, period. I want to watch it on my TV.

Second, see my other post debunking your ignorance.
-LD

Postby sbufe » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:15 pm

For LD-'s edification:

diplomacy (dÄ­-plÅ
sbufe

Postby wideasleep1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 pm

It would also be diplomatic to keep this on the original thread, as we don't need multiple threads on the same topic. ;)
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby -LD » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 pm

[quote="sbufe"]For LD-'s edification:

diplomacy (dÄ­-plÅ
-LD

Postby plooger » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:50 am

Somewhere between "want it soon" and "couldn't care." I'd like to see Hulu added, but have other means (XBMC/PlayOn) of getting at Hulu, for now.

I want Roku to add whatever their research tells them will best support long-term growth of the product.
plooger

I want Hulu, Too

Postby mlanger » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:26 am

Seems too limited without support for Hulu and the long list of other networks someone else provided above.

I think Roku should support all Internet-based content streaming.
mlanger

Postby Tstorm » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:56 am

No offense intended, but polls such as this (and this isn't the first one on this topic) are meaningless. Few Roku Digital Video Player customers come to these forums at all, even fewer actually have logins, and out of those that do few actually participate. You could probably get enough people together for a poll here advocating just about anything this way with it not really being representative of the customer base.

I understand the desire to incorporate more video sources as I want more too, but multiple threads/polls advocating something will not necessarily make it so.

As others have mentioned, there are likely things none of us truly know the answers to such as whether it is technically possible to have Hulu on the Roku player, whether Hulu is willing to work with Roku at all, etc. For whatever reason, Roku isn't talking and I don't expect them to until they are closer to a deal where they can make an announcement as they did with Amazon.

It may actually be a better strategy to go tell Hulu you want to see them on the Roku player as I am pretty certain by all the threads/polls here that Roku already knows! :)
Tstorm

Postby jeffrok » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:43 am

Again I offer this...

Let's say Amazon offers this week's episode of House or Heroes for $1.99 (or whatever).. And let's say Roku has a deal with Amazon, that for every episode/move is bought, Roku gets 5%-10% of what Amazon makes on the sale.. As long as they don't let another service that offers the episode for free have its service on the Roku box.. Such as Hulu.

I'm not saying this is why they aren't putting Hulu on, but it very well could be a reason-- why else would Roku NOT give the people what they want, except for profit? It very well could be a business decision, not a technical decision, and you can yell "Hulu" all you want, but if Amazon is going to be padding Roku's pockets for putting their VOD on the box, they are kinda at their mercy.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion