manual DNS settings on the box?

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

manual DNS settings on the box?

Postby jptexas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to enter manual DNS connection settings on the box?

I realize that my rebuffering issues could come from the AT&T U-Verse assigned DNS, which sent me to Newark/Washington for the streaming servers. I am located in Texas.

I would like to use openDNS addresses, but U-Verse does not allow editing of the DNS addresses in the provided router. I don't have a spare router to put in between either.

Manual connection settings would be very nice...
jptexas

Postby eri3k » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:44 pm

At the moment, the player receives its DNS settings only from the DHCP server. Manually setting the DNS addresses would be great. It's right up there with being able to assign the player a static IP address. Alas, only in my dreams...
eri3k

Postby pjoshua5000 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:47 pm

eri3k wrote:At the moment, the player receives its DNS settings only from the DHCP server. Manually setting the DNS addresses would be great. It's right up there with being able to assign the player a static IP address. Alas, only in my dreams...

You set the dns on the router, (I would go with opendns) and some router allow you to set a static ip address for deceives. My does and I set my roku to have the same ip address and it also configure for opendns
pjoshua5000

Postby wideasleep1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 pm

eri3k wrote:At the moment, the player receives its DNS settings only from the DHCP server. Manually setting the DNS addresses would be great. It's right up there with being able to assign the player a static IP address. Alas, only in my dreams...

I was shocked when this was discovered...one would think with all the difficulties networking the M500, M1000(1), M2000's over the years, that Roku would have had the foresight to allow networking settings directly on the device! :roll: At least we have telnet for those devices.

edit: JP, I think the spare router will be your solution, sadly.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Postby eri3k » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:10 pm

pjoshua5000 wrote:You set the dns on the router

I believe jptexas was asking about options on the player to set DNS. There is no way to set the DNS address on the player. Same thing for static IP address.

OpenDNS is probably not the best option for you, jptexas. Their nearest cache to you is probably Chicago or Los Angeles. You would probably be better off with Level 3's DNS servers or Speak Easy's Dallas DNS server (64.81.127.2). I know for a fact that the Speak Easy address resolves to Netflix servers in Dallas.

If the U-verse router does not let you set new DNS addresses, it will have to wait until you procure another router.
eri3k

Postby jinj » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:06 pm

In your router, you can manually enter what ever DNS servers you want.

I use a Linksys WRT54G running Tomato, it allows the setting of static IP addresses to.

By keeping this Roku device simple, it cuts down a lot of their support problem calls, as most people do not know what settings these are. It stops them messing things up.
jinj

Postby jptexas » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:18 pm

jinj wrote:In your router, you can manually enter what ever DNS servers you want.

I use a Linksys WRT54G running Tomato, it allows the setting of static IP addresses to.

By keeping this Roku device simple, it cuts down a lot of their support problem calls, as most people do not know what settings these are. It stops them messing things up.

jinj,

some of us are using the router provided by our ISP, I am having AT&T Uverse, and the router is a non repleacable piece of equipment that is used to provide TV service as well. Anyway, they don't allow to edit the settings in their router.
I don't want to add a new router in a cascade configuration.

I d much rather have another secret screen where manual config could be allowed.
I like the simplicity of the current screens, a secret screen woudl not change that and add more possibility for those of us who need it.

Anyway, I am going to temporarly set up a second dhcp server to force my dns settings on the box, but it s not a viable option for the long term.

Thanks
jptexas

Postby eri3k » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:24 pm

jptexas wrote:Anyway, they don't allow to edit the settings in their router.

The kung-fu grip that AT&T has on their residential gateway was one reason why I dropped their service during the 30-day guarantee. The other reason was because their DVR was making this noise 24/7. Oh, and the DVR interface was truly lame. And they compressed the <The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> out of their HD channels. And all TCP/IP traffic had unbelievably high latency... Come to think of it, the only thing I liked about U-Verse was the price.

jptexas wrote:Anyway, I am going to temporarly set up a second dhcp server to force my dns settings on the box, but it s not a viable option for the long term.

I know it's less than ideal, but if you put the router in the DMZ on the residential gateway both the router and the RG should remain stable:
http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/messag ... 8149#M8149
eri3k

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion