Blinking light, no video... DOA unit? User Error?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Blinking light, no video... DOA unit? User Error?

Postby 85toyota » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Greetings, guru's of Roku!

Just got my Digital Player on Friday night, and have been trying to make it work for the last 2 days. My symptoms are:

- Steady flashing white indicator light on front of unit
- Video refreshing at 50/60Hz with garbled display and what looks like little white squares at bottom of screen (This is on component, composite, and S-video connections - I don't have HDMI to test with). It doesn't matter how I connect to the TV, I get the same results each time. :cry:

I haven't even gotten to set it up on my network because I can''t get video! :x

I did try the old "30-second reset" cure many have had success with, but not me. Nothing changes. I'm on my 5th cumulative hour troubleshooting this unit, which I think has caused me to go slightly insane. Anyone got something helpful to suggest?

:?
85toyota

Postby eri3k » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:49 pm

If you are not getting a coherent picture from any of the outputs, it sure sounds like it's DOA. The only other thing I can suggest is trying the Roku on another TV, although I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Call Roku customer support. They will probably have you go through these exercises one more time, but once they confirm that a unit is dead, they are very good about quickly getting another player out to the customer.
eri3k

Postby dominjon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:21 am

It sounds defective, bit as previously advised, it would be smart to try hooking it to another TV, even if it is a neighbors or family members, it doesn't even matter if they have internet, as all you are doing is testing the video signal. If you replicated it on a 2nd TV you can be fairly confident you just need a replacement box. If it works on another TV then you ahve a more complicated problem.
dominjon

R/A Issued...

Postby 85toyota » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 am

Okay, I tried it on my other (older) TV. Same issues.

Called support this morning, talked to Randini, explained the problem and my troubleshooting. Was issued an R/A... we'll see what happens with the new one. :roll:
85toyota

Warrentee Replacement Problems

Postby pvent13 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Good luck getting a replacement box.
I reported my box DOA on Jan 3rd and they said they would ship me a replacement box.
I called 3-4 times complaining I never received the box, each time they lied and said the would ship in withing 48 hours.
After a month someone finally admitted they did not have any boxes to send and could not tell me when they would have boxes to send.
I canceled the purchase on my credit card and told them I would send the box back as soon as they sent me info on how to return the box (at their expense).
I have never had them answer an email and have still not received info on how to return the DOA box.
If I don't hear from them soon I will get the available web site www.rokusucks.com

I've never dealt with a company with such poor customer service. Roku can check caseID#58574 for the gory details of my month long pain and suffering.

:cry:
pvent13

Postby bigrig44 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:57 pm

I had the same problems and had to make an adjustment on my router. Are you running it wireless or wired? I got my 2nd box and it did the same thing and thats when I started messing with my settings and got it to work. Had to change the security from WPA2 to WPA...I think thats what the setting was...and that instantly fixed it. I was told by a roku moderator that shouldn't have been the problem but it worked and I'm leaving it alone.
bigrig44

DOA Roku Box

Postby pvent13 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:19 pm

My Roku box, directly out of the box, provides no video output on any connection.

I am assuming I need to get the standard set up video before I have to even worry about the network connection protocol, etc.?

I have spoken with Roku support and they agree my box is bad and should be replaced....they just tell me they don't have any boxes to send?

...and how I wish they told me that before repeated promises to send a box immediately which I would receive in 3-5 days made me totally frustrated.

Not having boxes available for support makes me wonder if the company is about to fold or they have just had so many fail that can't keep up with the replacements? Both are very bad?
pvent13

Re: DOA Roku Box

Postby wideasleep1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:45 pm

pvent13 wrote:My Roku box, directly out of the box, provides no video output on any connection.

I am assuming I need to get the standard set up video before I have to even worry about the network connection protocol, etc.?

I have spoken with Roku support and they agree my box is bad and should be replaced....they just tell me they don't have any boxes to send?

...and how I wish they told me that before repeated promises to send a box immediately which I would receive in 3-5 days made me totally frustrated.

Not having boxes available for support makes me wonder if the company is about to fold or they have just had so many fail that can't keep up with the replacements? Both are very bad?

PM RokuLyndon here...he'll get you sorted.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Box replacement problem

Postby pvent13 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks, I just tried that. I'll let you know if it helps.

I see that Roku opens ANOTHER case for me, even after I gave them the case number of the other still open case.

Interesting that this case opened about 30 days after the first, the new case ID is about 10,000 numbers higher than the original. Does that mean they are getting 10,000 complaints a month?

It would not surprise me based upon my experience.
pvent13

My problem resolved!

Postby pvent13 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:01 pm

My problem has been resolved, Roku sent me a new box, it works fine and I am finally very happy. :D

Thanks you!!!
pvent13

Re: My problem resolved!

Postby wideasleep1 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:07 pm

pvent13 wrote:My problem has been resolved, Roku sent me a new box, it works fine and I am finally very happy. :D

Thanks you!!!

Excellent! /and that was FAST!! :D
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Received new unit - it works perfectly!

Postby 85toyota » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:42 pm

Just an update for all you believers and non-believers:

I received the new Roku Digital Media Player two days after calling it in as defective. It was a cross-ship, so I took the pre-paid shipping label out of the new box and put it on the old one, called FedEx, and the non-working unit was back to them in a couple days. :P

The new unit works perfectly. Adjusted the "secret screen" setting for maximum signal transfer, and have only had it pause once for buffering. I assume that Roku makes so many of these, they simply don't have them "burned-in" or tested when they leave the assembly line. In my previous life in consumer electronics manufacturing, our company religiously tested all products before packaging to ensure customers had working units out of the box. C'mon Roku - have the folks in China test these things! :roll:

Many thanks to the team at Roku for makiing a pretty neat product for only $99 retail! And thanks for the fast resolution to the trouble! 8)

My configuration (in case you care):
Roku: Wireless, set for 3.5Mbps, four-dot quality, 16:9, analog outputs (S-video, Stereo L & R) to A/V receiver
Router: Netgear RangeMax Next WNR834B, set 270Mbps, channel 11, no SSID broadcast, WPA, MAC address restricted, 40 feet from Roku
Internet Provider: Cox Communications, Phoenix; Preferred Plan (9Mbps)
85toyota

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion