My roko cannot find the firefly server

Questions and answers about getting your SoundBridge up and running.

Moderators: TheEndless, RokuDouglas, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

My roko cannot find the firefly server

Postby Rene de Gek » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:16 am

i, iam puzzled, so i hope you can help...

I've got a Roku Soundbridge M1000. When it starts it displays M1001. The softwareversion is 3.0.44. It can connect to the wireless network (WPA2-PSK) and it can listen to online radio stations.

I have a computer connected tot the network running Fedora Core 9. I downloaded the 1696 version of the firefly server. It compiled without any problems and it is running ok. I can reach the webinterface from any computer in the network. Also acording to the logfile everything is correct:

[root@localhost ~]# tail /var/log/mt-daapd.log
2009-02-18 12:45:31 (b80156c0): Firefly Version svn-1696: Starting with debuglevel 2
2009-02-18 12:45:31 (b80156c0): Plugin loaded: ssc-script/svn-1696
2009-02-18 12:45:31 (b80156c0): Plugin loaded: daap/svn-1696
2009-02-18 12:45:31 (b80156c0): Plugin loaded: rsp/svn-1696
2009-02-18 12:45:31 (b80156c0): Starting rendezvous daemon
2009-02-18 12:45:31 (b80156c0): Starting signal handler
2009-02-18 12:45:31 (b80156c0): Initializing database
2009-02-18 12:45:33 (b80156c0): Starting web server from /opt/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
2009-02-18 12:45:33 (b80156c0): Registering rendezvous names
2009-02-18 12:45:33 (b80156c0): Serving 21607 songs. Startup complete in 2 seconds

However: The Roku Soundbridge does not find the server. I have disabled iptables and restarted the soundbridge, but it still can't find the server...

Can anybody tell me what iam doing wrong?
Rene de Gek

Postby dupondt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:04 am

Hi Rene,

welcome to the forums.

Please help us to help you and post the make and model of your router.

Greetings
dupondt
Roku SoundBridge R1000, M1001 and M1000 • Pinnacle SoundBridge HomeMusic • DNT IP-dio • Clint L1 • Roku XD
dupondt

Postby Rene de Gek » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:39 am

Iam using a router i got from my internet provider. It is a Davolink DV-2020.
Rene de Gek

Postby dupondt » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:02 am

Hi Rene,

unfortunately it seems as though there's no manual available for this router on Davolink's website, so all I can give are some general suggestions.

Please check your router settings for one (or more) of the following options (this is from this thread):

- UPNP - enable
- Multicast or IGMP - enable
- Filter Multicast - disable
- WMM - disable
- AP Isolation - disable

For testing reasons, you could also temporarily connect the M1001 to the network using an Ethernet cable and check if it then sees the Firefly server.

Greetings
dupondt
Roku SoundBridge R1000, M1001 and M1000 • Pinnacle SoundBridge HomeMusic • DNT IP-dio • Clint L1 • Roku XD
dupondt

Postby Rene de Gek » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:47 am

Thanks.

I put the soundbridge on an ethernet cable. It finds the server and it can play the music... so the wireless connection with the router is the problem indeed.

The router does not have many options. The internet provider has installed their own firmware on the router. I have very little options. Multicast isn't one of them. I called their helpdesk (they can login to my modem remotely) but they told me that this option does not exist. Instead, they gave me a 'multicast ip' which is 10.62.91.216.
My network is in the 192.168.1.* range so i don't understand what i can do with this... I tried to give my server this addres, but then i get an ip conflict... Can i do something knowing the multicast ip?
Rene de Gek

Postby g0pkh » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 am

I sounds to me like an issue with Wireless Isolation.

This is an option in most routers that can prevent Wireless clients from talking to anything other than the outside world.

IE the Internet.

Can you reconnect the SB via wireless and confirm you can access the SB web pages from any wired computer.

As Dupondt said above. have a look in the router setup for anything to do with Wireless (AP) Isolation, and disable it.

If the router is somewhat locked down by special firmware, can you turn off the wireless altogether, and consider using a different Wireless AP plugged into the routers switch instead. They are very cheap now.

This is in fact what I have done becuase the AP firmware in my router is not too stable

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk
g0pkh

Postby Rene de Gek » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:51 am

Hi, thanks for the help!

I decided that it's probablu nog going to work using the wireless accesspoint in the davolink router of my internet provider.

So i went to the shop and bought a Linksys WRT54GL router. Unfortunately it seems to have the same problem. I can use my server when i connect the soundbridge using a ethernet cable, but again it does not find my server when i use the wireless network. I have:
-disabled ap isolation
-enabled upnp
-disabled filter multicast
-disabled WMM

There is no multicast or IGMP option. It seems to me that i have bought the wrong router. Or can somebody confirm that the Linksys WRT54GL can be used with the M1000 when connecting it using wifi?
Rene de Gek

Postby g0pkh » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:17 am

I am struggling a bit to completely understand just what the problem \ symptoms are here now.

As I understand it, you have now replaced your existing router, with a Linksys WRT54GL, and you have an M1001 (Badged as an M1000 connections at the back?)connected wirelessly using WPA2/PSK encryption to the above router.

1) Does the M1001 connect and still play Internet Radio ?
Can you show us the full IP information from the M1001 please

2) Can you connect via a web browser on a Wired Computer to the M1001?

3) The M1001 when connected via an ethernet cable works just fine ?

4) What exact messages do you get on the M1001 when it can't connect to the Firefly server ?

5) Have you tried disabling all Wireless encryption to rule out problems with this ?

Hopefully between us all we can help solve this for you.

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk
g0pkh

Postby Rene de Gek » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi, thanks for all the tips!

I still don't know what is wrong but it can find the server now. Even with the firewall back on (with 3689 and 5353 open). It's a pity I have to reset the server now and then:

When i put the soundbridge in standby and switch it on later it can find the server but often it cannot connect. When i restart the soundbridge it cannot find the server anymore... The server is still running and accessible using the webinterface. The wireless connection is really good all the time: quality above 90.

When i restart firefly the soundbridge finds the server and i can connect and play music.

Is this a known problem? Does somebody know a solution for this? I don't like it that i have to restart firefly all the time.
Rene de Gek

Postby S80_UK » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:48 pm

This still smells like a router issue. Firefly is generally very stable (mine runs under Debian Etch for months at a time - I occasionally take down the server for other reasons). I can take SoundBridges up and down as I please, routers up and down, even change routers, access points, etc. So something is still blocking the discovery mechanism but not blocking it when Firefly is restarted.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i
S80_UK

Postby Rene de Gek » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:37 am

I have started the Windows Media Player Network Sharing service on my windows xp laptop and this computer is always (re)discovered. It is also on the WLAN...

SETUP
- A Linux (Fedora 9) computer running firefly connected to a wireless router (WRT54GL) using an ethernet cable
- I have a Laptop running WinXP sharing some music using Windows media player on the WLAN
- I have a soundbridge on a WLAN.

WHAT HAPPENS
1. Soundbridge is connected to WLAN and can find and play music from both computers.
2. I put the Soundbridge in standby
3. I switch it on again 10 seconds later:
4. The soundbridge still displays both computers and it can connect and play from the windows computer, but it cannot connect to the firefly server on the linux computer.
5. I cut the power of the soundbridge and switch it back on:
6. It can find and play music from the windows computer, but it cant find the firefly server on the linux computer.
7. I restart the firefly media server
8. The soundbridge directly after this shows the firefly server and can play music from it.
9. Back to 1.

The firefly server is connected to the router using a cable, but the laptop using WLAN. So i thought maybe that is the problem... So i disabled WLAN on the laptop and connected it to the Router using a cable:

Now also the Laptop cannot reconnect after standby and is not rediscovered after switching of the power supply.

CONCLUSION:
It works great if both the server and the soundbridge are on LAN.
It works great if both the server and the soundbridge are on Wireless LAN.

But: reconnecting / rediscovering does not work when the server is on LAN and the soundbridge is on WLAN.

The firewall on my router allows for logging so iam going too look into that for a moment, but probably i am going to install a wireless pci card in my Linux computer...
Rene de Gek

Roku and Davolink DV-2020

Postby brettsovereign » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:46 am

I have the same problem -- I have the Davolink DV-2020 DSL modem/wireless/wired/voip router given to me by Tele2. Both iTunes and Firefly on my main pc can be seen by my wirelessly Soundbridge devices if the pc connects wirelessly also, but not if I connect the pc by wire to the router. This is irritating, since the router is right next to the pc (and its wireless card is flaky), but I live with it.

The main Firefly media player page indicates this is likely an issue with multicast IGMP being filtered at the router.
Tele2 has "helpfully" restricted the web interface to the router so there are very few options to pick. Davolink doesn't have a manual (at least not in English) on the device and it wouldn't matter too much.

I found the following information that I hoped would fix the problem:
http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/vi ... d82b119cd0

If you follow the links you find a list (in Dutch) of various web pages to adjust settings, including IGMP -- http://192.168.1.1/enblservice.html
where 192.168.1.1 is the default internal IP. If I do that, I only get a blank page, and I haven't seen any improvement. I have no clue which of the other links match AP isolation, uPnP, etc.

I'll let you know if I work out anything beyond this -- there must be a fair number of people in The Netherlands who have this problem, since Tele2 has grown a great deal over the last year.

I haven't called Tele2 since I'm a non-Dutch speaking expat here and I didn't think they do much beyond the basic web interface.
brettsovereign

Postby stretch » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Rene de Gek wrote:I have started the Windows Media Player Network Sharing service on my windows xp laptop and this computer is always (re)discovered. It is also on the WLAN...
Just because the AP works properly with WMP doesn't mean it's a Firefly fault.
WMP & Firefly use different ports. The router may handle multicast traffic correctly on some ports and not others.
The router manufacturers would mostly test in a windows environment because thats a large percentage of the market. Firefly is more Apple / *nix oriented and may run into AP firmware bugs.
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format
stretch

All wireless

Postby Rene de Gek » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:54 am

Hi,

i have installed a wireless lan card in my linux computer running firefly. Now the soundbridge always finds the server, also after standby or a reboot of the soundbridge.

The problem is the same with both the davolink router supplied by tele2 and the Linksys router i bought. When the server is connected by wire it cant be foud after a soundbridge standby/reboot. Now the server is on the wlan everything works just fine.

It seems that 'brettsovereign' is indeed encountering the same problem. So at least there are two of us with this problem in the netherlands :wink:

My solution to buy a linksys wrt54gl didn't work because this router seems to have the same problem. Maybe i should have bought a router that has a 'yes' on the list that is on http://www.roku.com/support_sb_ts_uwf.php...

Now my server is wireless, i can stash it in any place in the house, and everything is working fine I am a happy person. Thanks for the help fokes!

(ps: maybe, when i have the time, i will look into it using wireshark. Good tip!)
Rene de Gek

Postby jjaf » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Rene

What you have found out is that many routers do not support the necessary multicast protocols over the wired->wireless bridge. DLink and Linksys are often mentioned as culprits. On some routers there will be a switch labelled IGMP or Multicast but this is not universal.

Anyway, happy that you have found a solution.
jjaf

Next

Return to SoundBridge Set-Up