Roku 1000m Bose Lifestyle 28 - Control Roku with Bose Remote

Trying to control your SoundBridge with UPnP or the Roku Control Protocol? Want to write custom text to the screen with 'sketch'? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku 1000m Bose Lifestyle 28 - Control Roku with Bose Remote

Postby hopkils » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi everyone.
I've searched through everything and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I must be missing something and/or perhaps the answer is so simple.

I have a Roku SoundBridge M1000 steaming MP3's to my Bose LifeStyle 28. I have it working through the auxillary of the Bose LifeStyle. If your familiar with Bose, the remote control works via radio frequency instead of infrared. So, I can be anywhere in the house or outside by the pool and control my Bose with the Bose remote control. Bose also has a way to control other devices close to the Bose LifeStyle unit by a wired infrared emitter which you can place by your other components (like the Roku).

My problem is, I have no remote control code to program the Bose remote for the Roku.

This would be great if I could. Otherwise, what I have to do to control my Roku when outside in the patio/deck/pool area is to have my laptop with one of the third party software tools installed such as Visual MR...to control my Roku.

I want a way to program my Bose remote control with a workable code to control my Roku. I have all of the other components programmed into the Bose remote: TV, Cable Box, VCR etc... If I just could control the Roku with the same remote...

Surely, someone has worked this problem before...

help...otherwize, I need to rethink the whole strategy of deliverying MP3 to my entertainment center. There are some other products now on the market that have video and MP3. I'm thinking about switching and get it all via VISTA entertainment center, bla bla bla...etc..etc...but don't want to if there is a reasonable solution to this problem....

Thanks.
hopkils

Bose Remote

Postby Eben » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:03 am

I too have the Lifestyle 28. I never found a solution with the bose remote. So, I took another avenue and I believe that I have far more control than with the bose remote even if it did work. I bought a Pocket pc off ebay. I run music via ROKU and control it with VISUAL MR. One can control volume, pick songs and see what's playing from anywhere in the house....anywhere your network will reach. I have network a booster that boost my network to reach way out into my street. I think the bose max reach is like 60ft. I turn up my bose and control the volume via pocket pc. Search Visual mr on this site and you can download pc based program to see it features. The pocket pc version has pretty much the same functions, but the pocket pc version will be in the palm of your hand anywhere in your house. I use Itunes as the music server, organizing 6K plus songs.
Last edited by Eben on Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eben

Postby alanmc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:15 am

@ Eben

Please tell us how you 'manage' to select any "one" of the 60,000 songs on your SoundBridge via use of iTunes.
alanmc

Postby hopkils » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:05 pm

alanmc,
Thanks for the tip on the pocketPC. I get it. Much better than carring around the laptop. Let me know what model PocketPC your using, how well it performs, and what you paid for it.

Eben, regarding selecting a song having an iTunes server. The trick is to use a 3rd party product such as what alanmc and I are using. VisualMR. With this tool, installed on any computer on your local network (including a pocketPC), you can control the soundbridge. Searching for songs is pretty easy with Visual MR. I don;t have 60K songs though. But I do have over 3K songs.
hopkils

Postby Eben » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:20 am

alanmc wrote:@ Eben

Please tell us how you 'manage' to select any "one" of the 60,000 songs on your SoundBridge via use of iTunes.

Under I-Tunes Preferences/ Sharing Have the following Checked

* Share Selected Playlist
* Music

Having the "Music" library shared will put all your music in a library and then the soundbridge or visual mr will be able to read all your music stored in itunes. You will never have to update your library after adding new music to I-tunes. The Music file is automaticaly updated since it is all the music in I-tunes
Eben

Postby Eben » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:29 am

hopkils wrote:alanmc,
Thanks for the tip on the pocketPC. I get it. Much better than carring around the laptop. Let me know what model PocketPC your using, how well it performs, and what you paid for it.

Eben, regarding selecting a song having an iTunes server. The trick is to use a 3rd party product such as what alanmc and I are using. VisualMR. With this tool, installed on any computer on your local network (including a pocketPC), you can control the soundbridge. Searching for songs is pretty easy with Visual MR. I don;t have 60K songs though. But I do have over 3K songs.

I have a HP111 that works well and very fast. You will spend $300 new. I saw them on Ebay for less. I use I-tunes on 2 desk top pc's that share the I-tunes library and the Pocket pc if I am outside or not around the desktops. The key is to share the music library in I-tunes, that way when you search for a song, you look in all of your music. You dont have to continuously drag all your songs from the music library to your created library.
Eben

Return to SoundBridge Control and Integration