Stuck on purple screen

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Stuck on purple screen

Postby flixfella » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi,
I have had the Roku box for a couple of weeks now. Worked right out of the box with no issues with the installation. All that has changed and currently I am stuck at the purple screen with the following text:"launching home screen".

Chronology:

1.About 5 days ago, I disconnect my VOIP's provider (Lingo) box from my network since I decided to stop subscribing to it.

2.Approx. 3 days ago, I start seeing occasionally this Windows System error: paraphrasing here..."there is an IP address conflict with another machine on your network"...more often than not, I would lose connectivity and would be only able to get on the Internet by rebooting the router/access point.

3.About 2 days ago, this error message becomes more frequent and always results in loss of connectivity. In reality this meant I could only be on the internet for 10 minutes before having to reboot the router. Obviously, this was an intolerable solution.

4. Yesterday, I started a more detailed look at my network and different devices to see if I could fix this. Downloaded and installed the most recent firmware for my router. Also assigned a static ip address to a laser printer i have on my network that was accessible via ip if you wanted to print on it. Results => No longer seeing (at least for all of a day) the windows system error. But my Roku box is not working now inspite of all that I have tried.

5. My setup: Using a Netgear WGR614 V6 router/access point; using a Network XE102 powerline adapter to connect the Roku box to the router; typically have the following devices active on the home network-2 laptops (1 PC, I Mac), 1 PC Desktop, I HP LaserJet (wired connection to router), I HP ThinkJet (wireless connection to router), 1 iPhone, 1 Nokia N95. All PCs running XP Home. Also using MagicJack.

6. What I done in trying to diagnose/fix this. Tried to add a static IP address for the Roku box; turned UPnP on and off; changed DNS servers to use OpenDNS and not Comcast DNS servers; tested speed of internet connection. All to no avail.

My "hunch" is that when Roku was installed and working successfully, it was using the UPnP protocol. I noticed in my router admin screen that this was checked, and an IP assigned to what I believe was the Roku box (using port 2442). At some point the Roku box stopped working even though this UPnP configuration hadn't changed. I have checked this on and off, rebooted both Roku and the router, but have had no success.

Current configuration: router is using OpenDNS, also acting as a DHCP server, UPnP is checked off, I have just one IP address reserved for the LaserJet printer. Everything else in terms of router settings is pretty standard.

I can get to moviecontrol.netflix.com from my laptop, have reset (quite a few times) the Roku box, have unplugged and plugged back in the powerline adapter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I convinced the missus that we should drop our Comcast cable when we got the Roku box. So now, no cable, no Roku and this is not good for my standing in the household!!!
flixfella

Postby eri3k » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:58 pm

It has been my experience that having UPnP enabled on the router is not required for the player to successfully connect to the internet and stream movies, and that port number does not look familiar from what I have seen of Netflix streaming. Turning off the firewall completely (as a test) would confirm that it is not source of the problem.

It's strange that you are stuck on the loading screen. Are you able to boot successfully if you remove the Ethernet cable and power cycle the player? Was the Lingo adapter behind the router or was it between the router and the modem?

I also wonder why you are using a powerline adapter when both the router and the player have wireless capability. (I'm not doubting your network management abilities. Just curious. You have your reasons. :) )
eri3k

Postby flixfella » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:29 pm

I wasn't aware that Roku used the UPnP protocol. I connected it to my powerline adapter on my initial installation and everything worked perfectly! I did not have to touch my router at that time. It is only when it stopped working that I took a closer look at some of my router settings and that is when I noticed the UPnP switch was checked and the device IP in the portmap appeared to be that of the Roku.

I have turned it (the UPnP switch) off and are still having problems. I actually would prefer to have it off since my cursory reading of it suggests it is a bit of a security hole.

I have removed the Ethernet cable and power cycled as well as resetting the Roku box and not changes. It just seems to be in some sort of coma and nothing I have seems to have an impact.

Only using the powerline adapter because I had one lying around, no particular reason, and it worked fine initially so I had no reason to change; but I am stuck at this point because I cannot even get to a screen where I could configure the box to use wireless?

The Lingo box was between the cable modem and the router.

Is there a way to log directly into the box just like you log into cable/VOIP modems?
flixfella

Postby eri3k » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:48 pm

The Roku DVP is a pretty robust little box. I thought perhaps the powerline adapter was might be causing a networking error that was preventing a successful boot, but with the Ethernet unplugged that should no longer be an issue. It almost sounds like your boot loader may have been corrupted, and that's hard to do. At this point all I can tell you is to call Roku support and get their take on it. I haven't heard of any way to force the player to complete a boot or load in safe mode.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
eri3k

Postby -LD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:44 am

Have you done a factory reset of the box? I'd start there.
-LD

Postby flixfella » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:31 am

If by factory reset you mean hold down the reset button for as long as a minute or more than I have done that a number of times. Is there some other "factory reset"?
flixfella

Postby -LD » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:28 am

Oh yeah, I see that above now.

Call Roku and get an RMA.
-LD

Postby flixfella » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks to all for your input. Called and am getting a new box. Hopefully this will work better.
flixfella

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion