Roku Satellite Dish?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku Satellite Dish?

Postby Sgooter » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:20 pm

My internet reception is via a 14-foot diameter satellite dish permanently mounted on the front of my home atop the roof gable, located just above a small cozy balcony where sits a beautiful red, black, and green striped crushed velvet sofa. It all makes quite an impressive statement in my gated mobile home community. Anyway, does anybody know whether Roku offers a dedicated satellite dish for the Roku player? I prefer not to disturb the internet settings and connections on my current sat dish cause my e-machine PC really hums along, and mounting a second/Roku internet sat dish near the big dish would also help achieve a real high tech look to my home -- sort of make it look like Roku world headquarters and stuff...Wow! Listen up, I'm fixin to receive a bunch of mortgage bailout money soon, so I'm willing to pay top dollar or at least make a top dollar credit card charge for what I want. So yo! Where can I buy a Roku satellite dish?
Sgooter

Postby eri3k » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:45 pm

I believe I can safely say that Roku does not make satellite dishes. What gives you the impression that they do? Or are you asking Roku to quote you a price on custom-built, Roku-branded satellite dish?
eri3k

Postby cykosis » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 pm

eri3k wrote:Or are you asking Roku to quote you a price on custom-built, Roku-branded satellite dish?

I believe you have to order that in tandem with the custom-built, Roku-Branded satellite.
cykosis

Postby eri3k » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:16 pm

Not necessarily. You only have to order the satellite if you want to qualify for the mail-in rebate offer of a free satellite dish.
eri3k

Postby shelleyp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:11 am

I've heard you can get a Roku satellite dish in specially marked boxes of Post Toasties.

Or, is that a Dick Tracy decoder ring? I can never keep the two apart in my mind.
shelleyp

Postby The Old Man » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 am

Perhaps Roku can paint your custom satellite to match your, "black, and green striped crushed velvet sofa." It will make, "quite an impressive statement."
The Old Man

Postby billc124 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:11 am

I found the Roku dish after an extensive online search. It might be a little big to attach to your mobile home though:

billc124

Satellite internet and Roku

Postby bob.teatow » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:11 am

I'll give the poster the benefit of the doubt and assume this is a serious question, just not well formed. You definitely do NOT need another dish
but you need to ask:

1. Does Roku video player work with Satellite internet connections like WildBlue.com? (I don't know - it may or may not, how well do other streaming apps like internet radio work with wild-blue) I suggest you try it with the Netflix instant to PC player, on your computer.

2. If it does work, share the internet connection with your computer - using a WiFi/router - as covered in other threads on this board.... Or consult with WildBlue to make sure this is supported okay...
bob.teatow

Postby Sgooter » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:15 am

The idea of having my own dedicated red, black, and green striped Roku satellite is starting to grow on me. Do you need to have collision/liability insurance and what's the standard deductible OR is all this already included in my mobile homeowner policy?
Sgooter

Postby bob.teatow » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:37 am

Okay Sgooter, it seems you're not serious - but perhaps someone in the know can comment on how well the Netflix/Roku service works with WildBlue or similar sattelite-internet services
bob.teatow

Postby shelleyp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:01 pm

billc124 wrote:I found the Roku dish after an extensive online search. It might be a little big to attach to your mobile home though:

Me want.
shelleyp

Postby billc124 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:08 pm

shelleyp wrote:
billc124 wrote:I found the Roku dish after an extensive online search. It might be a little big to attach to your mobile home though:

Me want.

I heard it gets Hulu!!!
billc124

Postby shelleyp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:40 pm

billc124 wrote:
shelleyp wrote:

Me want.

I heard it gets Hulu!!!

I think you're mistaken. I believe this is the model of satellite you need to pick up Hulu on the Roku.

shelleyp

Postby billc124 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:43 pm

I can't afford the Saturn 5 rocket needed to get it up and running though.
billc124

Postby pawnblue » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:33 pm

cykosis wrote:I believe you have to order that in tandem with the custom-built, Roku-Branded satellite.

That's funny!
pawnblue

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion