Roku player freezes up....

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku player freezes up....

Postby nweb992000 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:49 pm

After my player sits overnight it seems to freeze up. The unit doesn't
respond to the remote, the ROKU screensaver is visible, but nothing happends when you hit the select button. What I have to do to get it
working is unplug it, and let it re-boot. Then it works fine. Is this happening to anyone else? It bothers me to keep unplugging it like that.
If it had an 'off' switch I would rather just turn it off at night. Is this something that needs looking into?
nweb992000

Postby eri3k » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 pm

First question: Are you using the Roku near an LCD TV?

If so:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=19647
eri3k

Hmmmmm.....

Postby nweb992000 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:04 am

I'm not sure what all that means. It isn't made clear whether it's
the proximity to the LCD screen that fouls it up, or something about
frequencies conflicting between the player and the screen. If that were
the case, I could just move the ROKU away from the TV, which I will
try tonight, along with putting the remote close to the ROKU to see if
that makes it work. The problem with all this is that it works fine all evening AFTER a reboot.
nweb992000

Postby eri3k » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 am

I experienced this problem with LCD TVs first hand. My Roku works just fine at home with my DLP set. When I took it over to a friend's house and tried to use it with their LCD TV, I had the hardest time getting the box to respond to the remote. Once I got it back home, it worked just fine again.

For the first few minutes after you turn on an LCD TV, the CCF tube inside the set is going to produce a lot of IR noise. It may be that the time it takes to reboot the Roku is the same amount of time it takes for the light source in your TV to stabilize its output. That may be why is seems like the problem goes away after you restart.

It's not just the Roku that has these issues with LCDs. A few friends have receivers that absolutely refuse to accept remote commands when the TV is on. I have also heard recent reports of TiVo users with LCD TVs having problems with their boxes interpreting a single press of a remote button as a double button press just after turning on the TV. The problem goes away after they let the TV warm up for a few minutes.
eri3k

Re: Roku player freezes up....

Postby RokuJamesL » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:20 am

nweb992000 wrote:After my player sits overnight it seems to freeze up. The unit doesn't
respond to the remote, the ROKU screensaver is visible, but nothing happends when you hit the select button. What I have to do to get it
working is unplug it, and let it re-boot. Then it works fine. Is this happening to anyone else? It bothers me to keep unplugging it like that.
If it had an 'off' switch I would rather just turn it off at night. Is this something that needs looking into?

When you say the Roku screensaver is visible, is the logo still moving around on the screen or has it frozen in place? If the logo is stuck in place indefinitely, then the box appears to be frozen. If the logo is still moving around, the box is not responding to the remote, but has not frozen or crashed.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby nweb992000 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:02 am

The Logo still moves around the screen, it's just that there's no response
to the remote.

But.....
Last night I turned on the set, the remote didn't respond (as usual) but
I moved the remote right next to the Roku unit and it responded. After
that it work fine all evening at normal distances.

So it seems resonable that the set needs to warm up a bit before the Roku works the way it should. All is good now. That's not such a big deal considering how cool this little Roku unit is. I just didn't like the idea of
turning it on and off so much. Electronics seem to work better left on.

Thanks all for the input. It helped.
nweb992000

Postby Kelferg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:40 pm

RokuJamesL wrote:
nweb992000 wrote:After my player sits overnight it seems to freeze up. The unit doesn't

When you say the Roku screensaver is visible, is the logo still moving around on the screen or has it frozen in place? If the logo is stuck in place indefinitely, then the box appears to be frozen. If the logo is still moving around, the box is not responding to the remote, but has not frozen or crashed.

My, this is an old thread, I hope it is active enough someone will see this. Mine freezes with the Roku screensaver visible, but not moving. The logo is frozen. This freezing never happens during playback, just during standby. I do not have an LCD TV, it is actually the TV I've had hooked up for about two years, but this just started happening. After I unplug the Roku box and plug it back in, it works fine. But this is getting to be a hassle, as it happens almost every day. Suggestions?
Kelferg

Postby FX4 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:20 am

You need to start a new thread. This is from 2009. Very different Roku boxes now and different firmware.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 3
Roku2 XS (x4)
Roku XD (x2)
Roku XR
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3
FX4

Postby reddice » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Mine just froze today for the first time when I turned on my TV. It just showed the Roku logo frozen on the screen. Unplugged it and plugged it back in and it is fine for now.
Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Sony PS4 all Wired
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim all Wired
Cats are the best pets
reddice

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion