connecting Roku to cable box

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

connecting Roku to cable box

Postby Raschella » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:47 pm

I got the Roku attached perfectly, but what do I do when I want to watch regular TV? I have a cable box - actually it's AT & T Uverse. Do I have to plug and unplug every time?
Raschella

Re: connecting Roku to cable box

Postby kumasuki » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:56 pm

Raschella wrote:I got the Roku attached perfectly, but what do I do when I want to watch regular TV? I have a cable box - actually it's AT & T Uverse. Do I have to plug and unplug every time?

It's sounds like you've attached the Roku via the same video connection as your cable box - but you haven't specified if that's composite, component, s-video, etc.

There's likely at least 2 options:

1) If your TV has more than one input, you could connect the cable box to one and the Roku to another

2) If both Roku and the cable box must use the same input to the TV, you can get a video switch (these exist for both analog and digital connections)
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Re: connecting Roku to cable box

Postby Raschella » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:05 pm

2) If both Roku and the cable box must use the same input to the TV, you can get a video switch (these exist for both analog and digital connections)

Yes, that sounds like my issue. I assume I can get a video switch at any video/TV/appliance type store, so will do that.

Thanks for your help, and your very fast response!
Raschella

Postby elorimer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:48 am

Don't forget audio, too. probably obvious.
elorimer

Postby MoonChaser » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:55 pm

When I was a TV Subscriber, I had my UVerse box connected via the standard Coax connection. Sounds like your installer used the AV cables instead. All you need to do is grab a length of coax and hook it up that way... so your Roku will be on your Video input and your Uverse on Channel 3 or 4. Naturally you would then be able to unhook the AV cables from your Uverse box (you can still have audio going to a home theater receiver if you wish... but you don't need the AV cables to the TV)

Also, you could grab an AV switcher box... I got one for 30 bucks at the big electronics chain with the big yellow sign. I had to get one as my TV has ONE set of AV inputs and I also have a DVD player, and didn't want to have to unhook/rehook to go between them.
MoonChaser

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion