roku and multiple tv

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

roku and multiple tv

Postby dermdoc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 pm

is there a way to have my Roku set up to mutiple tv's to watch the same program on more than 1 tv? or to watch 1 program on different tvs at different times- eg sometimes watch in den sometimes in bedroom either at same time or at different times? if so how? do you put a splitter between the roku and the tv and then run wires from this? if I can do it please be very specific about products to purchase

thanks
Paul
dermdoc

Re: roku and multiple tv

Postby kumasuki » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 pm

dermdoc wrote:is there a way to have my Roku set up to mutiple tv's

The Roku outputs whatever is streaming on all available video connectors simultaneously. So if multiple displays are attached, they will all show the same currently selected title. The most straightforward approach is to use to different video connections (like HDMI to one and component to another). In order to connect 2 (or more) displays using the same video connection you'll need a splitter - prices vary greatly, I have this one:

http://sewelldirect.com/HDMI-v13-Splitt ... medium=cse
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby eri3k » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:37 pm

If the TVs are in different rooms, you will probably want to buy an extra remote (so that you have one in each room) and a remote control extender (the one below is inexpensive and works very well with the Roku).

http://www.roku.com/buyroku_onlinecatal ... ccessories
http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-R ... 000C1Z0HA/
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!
eri3k

Postby dermdoc » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:46 am

so the cable that leaves the roku goes to the splitter - can this then be wireless? also will this work as the splitter
http://www.nextag.com/Acoustic-Research ... 1A0D6249E6
Paul
dermdoc

Postby billc124 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:59 am

By the time you buy all the stuff you need to accomplish this, you could have just bought a second Roku box. If your internet connection is fast enough you could watch two different things at the same time on the different TVs. If you really want to use this on two TVs, I would just buy a second box.
billc124

Postby kumasuki » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:47 am

dermdoc wrote:so the cable that leaves the roku goes to the splitter - can this then be wireless? also will this work as the splitter
http://www.nextag.com/Acoustic-Research ... 1A0D6249E6

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-82145061

These devices will take video input from composite cables and then transmit the signal to a second TV in another location - but like billc124 points out, it would be versatile just to get a second Roku.

The link you posted is for cable splitter - if you have cable service you would need this to split the cable for use with more than one TV.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby davige » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:23 am

I have my Roku player hooked up to my main TV via HDMI. The composite video & LR audio outputs are also hooked into a digital modulator which combines into my cable system and feeds all other TV's in my house on channel 120. I control the Player with the universal RF remote from my main system. Of course, I don't get HD on the modulated TV's but the picture is still pretty good and I don't need to change inputs on the TV. Modulators can be had pretty cheap and 1 modulator will put the Player on ALL TV's in your house. Good luck.
davige

Postby billc124 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:11 am

davige wrote:I have my Roku player hooked up to my main TV via HDMI. The composite video & LR audio outputs are also hooked into a digital modulator which combines into my cable system and feeds all other TV's in my house on channel 120. I control the Player with the universal RF remote from my main system. Of course, I don't get HD on the modulated TV's but the picture is still pretty good and I don't need to change inputs on the TV. Modulators can be had pretty cheap and 1 modulator will put the Player on ALL TV's in your house. Good luck.

If the player cost 1000 dollars I might go through all that to set it up for more then 1 TV, but since it only costs 100 bucks, I would still just buy two of them. I would rather have the option of watching two different things at once than just having the same program display on multiple TVs.
billc124

Postby -LD » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:51 am

billc124 wrote:
davige wrote:I have my Roku player hooked up to my main TV via HDMI. The composite video & LR audio outputs are also hooked into a digital modulator which combines into my cable system and feeds all other TV's in my house on channel 120. I control the Player with the universal RF remote from my main system. Of course, I don't get HD on the modulated TV's but the picture is still pretty good and I don't need to change inputs on the TV. Modulators can be had pretty cheap and 1 modulator will put the Player on ALL TV's in your house. Good luck.

If the player cost 1000 dollars I might go through all that to set it up for more then 1 TV, but since it only costs 100 bucks, I would still just buy two of them. I would rather have the option of watching two different things at once than just having the same program display on multiple TVs.

Absolutely. People need to keep some perspective here. To buy and run that much cabling or use some other doohickey to transcode the signal or to use voodoo to turn someone into a zombie it really doesn't make much financial sense when another Roku is only $100.
-LD

Postby davige » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:35 am

-LD wrote:
billc124 wrote:

Absolutely. People need to keep some perspective here. To buy and run that much cabling or use some other doohickey to transcode the signal or to use voodoo to turn someone into a zombie it really doesn't make much financial sense when another Roku is only $100.

In my case, it works well. I have a small house with 3 TV's and only watch one at a time. As for cabling, it's only one piece of RG6 from the modulator to the cable head-end. Also, it's really a 3-channel modulator so besides the NP I've got a Tivo on it as well that I can watch & control in any room.
Opinions are like a**holes. Everybody's got one.
davige

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion