Remote control problems

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Remote control problems

Postby carbon summit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:17 pm

I just got a Roku box and the remote control didn't work with it so I called and they are mailing me out another box.

In the mean time I played with the Roku and it seems like some times the remote will work and it almost seems like light has some effect on if the remote works or not. Is that possible?

I also have a Harmony One remote that works sometimes and not others so I'm pretty sure the problem is with the box or something interfering with the signal of the remotes.

Any suggestions?
carbon summit

Postby billc124 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Some LCD TV's give off interference that effects remote controls. Try moving the box further away from your TV if it is an LCD and see if that works.
billc124

Postby carbon summit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:54 pm

billc124 wrote:Some LCD TV's give off interference that effects remote controls. Try moving the box further away from your TV if it is an LCD and see if that works.

You would think it would be consistant if it were the tv, wouldn't you?

The tv is a 52W4100

When it stops working I can go right up to the box with the remote and nothing works. I move the box and it seems to work for a while.

I have the Roku hard wired to a Buffalo wireless router. I use the wireless part for my laptop. Do you think the wireless router could be messing up the Roku?
carbon summit

Postby billc124 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:56 pm

No, the wireless router wouldn't mess up the remote. If you go right in front of it and the same thing happens with your harmony and the Roku remote, then most likely something is wrong with the box.
billc124

Postby carbon summit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:01 pm

I'll wait until I get the new box before I put any more thought to this.

I hope that is all it is because when it works I really like the Roku!
carbon summit

Postby eri3k » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Some inexpensive compact fluorescent bulbs can also cause problems with remote controls for the same reason that some LCD TVs do. One thing to try is turning off the TV and seeing if the light on the front of the player gives a blink consistently when you hit the Home button. (You could use any button of course, but the Home button won't result in you accidentally starting movie.)
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!
eri3k

Postby elorimer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:03 am

carbon summit wrote:
You would think it would be consistant if it were the tv, wouldn't you?

No, it appears some TVs create interference as they are warming up; some create it when an automatic brightness control is active. Other CCF bulbs can create the problem. But basically there is another direct or reflected source of IR in the room that is being picked up by the box and confusing it.

Try changing the backlight or brightness settings on the TV and turn off the Advanced C.E. setting if it is on.

Try putting a few layers of masking tape over the remote sensor on the box to make it less sensitive. Change the location of the box a bit.
elorimer

Postby QuantumIguana » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:49 pm

I bought a learning remote, and it sort of works. Whenever I click the left arrow on the learning remote that I taught using the Roku remote, it moves over 4 titles instead of just one.

The right arrow works fine, so if I want to go left 1 title, I click the left arrow, then click the right arrow 3 times. It's awkward, but it gets me there. I use the Roku remote when I can find it, but when I can't, I can make do with the learning remote.

Does anyone have an idea why it would move by 4 titles?
QuantumIguana

Postby carbon summit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:29 pm

QuantumIguana wrote:I bought a learning remote, and it sort of works. Whenever I click the left arrow on the learning remote that I taught using the Roku remote, it moves over 4 titles instead of just one.

The right arrow works fine, so if I want to go left 1 title, I click the left arrow, then click the right arrow 3 times. It's awkward, but it gets me there. I use the Roku remote when I can find it, but when I can't, I can make do with the learning remote.

Does anyone have an idea why it would move by 4 titles?

what brand of remote did you buy? If its a Harmony remote I'd give them a call and they'll fix it for you. If you are outside of your 60 days of phone help just use the troubleshooting tool and it will fix it for you.
carbon summit

Postby eri3k » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:38 pm

QuantumIguana wrote:Does anyone have an idea why it would move by 4 titles?

It sounds like the that button was not learned correctly. Most learning remotes that I've had instruct the user to hold down the button on the transmitting remote until the learning remote has captured the signal. If you held down the button on the Roku remote during the learning process, your learning remote may have incorrectly interpreted a sequence of four "left" commands as a single "left" command. Try going through the learning process again, but this time just press and release on the Roku remote. It's worth a shot.
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!
eri3k

Postby carbon summit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:22 pm

I've had Harmony Remotes do that, something about the way it sends the signal. If you trouble shoot the problem with the computer program you use to program the remote it will fix the problem. The remote learned the signal right but was sending it wrong.

I guess we don't know what kind of remote we are talking about yet.
carbon summit

Postby monomer1 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:39 pm

So what ever happened?
The reason I ask is because I have this exact same problem. It would freeze-up occassionally right from the first but I blamed it was everything else but the Roku box plus it was only sporatic. However it has progressively gotten worse in the last few months and just recently has grown to an intolerable level.
We have another working Roku in the house and it has never experience a freeze-up. Tried with the remote only an inch away from the Roku. We swapped remotes. We changed batteries. We rebooted the Roku. Moved the Roku. Unplugged the Roku... reset the Roku. Nothing seems to work consistently. This sucks... I've notified Roku and am waiting for a response from their customer service rep. While I'm waiting I thought I'd do a search to see if my problem was unique. I see, apparently not.
monomer1

Postby eri3k » Fri May 08, 2009 9:15 pm

I am not clear on the results of your troubleshooting: did the problem follow the box from one room to another?

If the problem is particular to a setup with an LCD TV, it may be a case of IR interference:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=19647
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 574#118574
eri3k

Postby carbon summit » Fri May 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Sorry guys, I dropped the ball on following up on this question.

Roku sent me a new box and it works flawlessly.

Just a bad box I guess.
carbon summit

Postby monomer1 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:15 pm

eri3k wrote:I am not clear on the results of your troubleshooting: did the problem follow the box from one room to another?

If the problem is particular to a setup with an LCD TV, it may be a case of IR interference:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=19647
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 574#118574

Wow dude, you are on to something. Last night after posting to this thread I did try to swap Roku boxes (one in the living room has the problem, one in the bedroom is fine)... I'll be <Force equals mass times acceleration>, the problem stayed in the living room and the bedroom is fine. So I deduced it must be something in the room messing with signal reception. After trying everything I finally saw something in a post that referred to the backlighting on an LCD TV... seemed kinda nutz but I thought I'd give it a try. Seems like I remember the last thing I did before the Roku really got bad was lower the backlight setting from a 6 to a 4. So I increased it to like 9 and suddenly the Roku could 'see' the IR remote from just about anywhere. Next I began to lower the backlight setting and discovered that as I went down by each increment, the range and stability of the unit reliably receiving the remote's signal degenerate until at a 3 there was not response to the remote at all from anywhere near or far. A 7 was the lowest I can go and still get it to reliably respond to the remote from about 12-feet away. At 6 and 5 it became very important that I aim the remote carefully as the proper angle as well as distance has a great effect. And 4 was where I had it the last couple of days when I found it so intolerable. The time the TV is on doesn't really seem to affect the Roku's receiving ability... 5-minutes or 5-hours it doesn't seem to matter. The only thing that is really preplexing me now is why is it when I turn the backlighting setting DOWN that makes the Roku reception worse... if anything I would have suspected the reverse relationship. Spooky stuff.
Last edited by monomer1 on Sat May 09, 2009 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monomer1

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion