Roku and DVD player/recorder

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku and DVD player/recorder

Postby joanna700 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:42 am

If I hook up the Roku to the input of any DVD recorder/player, so it plays into the DVD machine INSTEAD of to the TV, can I then record the instant-watch movie onto a disc?

If no, would it make any difference if I am trying to record Amazon (pay-per view) movies instead of Netflix?

Just wondering, yeah. :wink:

Janie
joanna700

Postby billc124 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:47 am

So you are asking us how to perform an illegal activity? Saving a PPV movie to a DVD is copyright violation and illegal. There is no need to save an Instant Watch movie to DVD since you can stream it as often as you want. Either way, saving an instant watch movie to DVD is also illegal and a copyright violation. It is the same as renting a DVD and making a copy of it, you don't own it so it is illegal. If you own the DVD make as many copies as you like, just don't give them out or sell them and you are within your legal rights, anything else, you are not.
billc124

Postby -LD » Tue May 05, 2009 8:55 am

I pray for Gen Y.
-LD

Postby Bonneville44 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:25 am

Why go through all the trouble to steal stuff like that? Torrents too difficult? Ridiculous. Or even better.. why pay for a movie to make a crappy copy of it on a disc or tape you buy as well... and not just go out and buy the dvd (which don't run to high for many films).
Bonneville44

Postby eri3k » Tue May 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Please relax, guys. If we jump on everyone who asks a question when the answer seems obvious to us, we are going to attract some real trolls to this forum. I believe Janie was asking in good faith whether she could make copies using a DVD recorder.

The answer to your question, Janie, is no. Roku uses Macrovision and HDCP on the player's output to prevent anyone from making copies of the content. There are ways around these protections, of course, but then you are actively circumventing copyright enforcement methods in furtherance of an expressly illegal activity. I recommend that you do not go that route.
Last edited by eri3k on Tue May 05, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever dream of controlling your Roku player through a series of tubes? Now you can!
eri3k

Postby QuantumIguana » Tue May 05, 2009 1:39 pm

It probably wouldn't work, although I haven't tried. With Netflix, why would you want to when you can just stream the movie again whenever you want? With Amazon, I suppose you could try recording it if it makes you happy. But I used to make copies of VHS tapes that I had rented, but then I discovered that I didn't watch them again, they just took up space on my shelf.
QuantumIguana

Re: Roku and DVD player/recorder

Postby jeffrok » Tue May 05, 2009 4:23 pm

joanna700 wrote:Just wondering, yeah. :wink:

Janie

You might want to "wonder" on a forum other than the one of the maker of the hardware, because everyone knows copying rented movies is illegal- not really smart to ask that question here, as others have suggested.

And by the "wink" I know you know better ;).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku and DVD player/recorder

Postby jeffrok » Tue May 05, 2009 4:23 pm

joanna700 wrote:Just wondering, yeah. :wink:

Janie

You might want to "wonder" on a forum other than the one of the maker of the hardware, because everyone knows copying rented movies is illegal- not really smart to ask that question here, as others have suggested.

And by the "wink" I know you know better ;).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby RokuJamesL » Tue May 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Asking how to pirate movies here, or anywhere else, is bad form. It's also a quick way to get banned, so to the original poster, don't ask again. This will be the only warning.

And thus, this thread is now locked.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion