Do I need a router? --seriously

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Do I need a router? --seriously

Postby rennie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:28 am

I just received the Roku box--can't seem to get up and running. Maybe because I need a router? All I want to do is be able to stream Netflix movies on my TV--I live in a rural area with no cable for TV and I don't have a satellite dish...

So, here's what I do have:

Mac OSX 10.4.8 computer
Compass 597 Sierra Wireless device from Sprint to get online
Netzero ISP
Roku box
Ethernet Cable

Do I need a router? I only have one computer and wanted to plug the ethernet directly into it and the other end into the Roku--but this is not working for me... Any ideas?
rennie

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:47 am

Yes, you will need a router, at least for the initial setup.. Read this thread:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=21939
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jeffshoaf » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:58 am

I can't tell you how to get connected, but I don't think a router will help - I believe the Compass 597 only has USB output.

Are you wanting to connec the modem to the Mac via USB, then connect the Roku to the Mac via Ethernet? You need to set the Mac up to share it's Internet connection; I don't know how to do that.
jeffshoaf

Postby elorimer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:03 am

I'm not sure I follow. You're connecting to the internet over a Sprint wireless EVDO connection or Netzero dialup? You don't have DSL or cable?
elorimer

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:38 am

Does your computer have ethernet out?
mkiker2089

Postby jeffshoaf » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:59 am

If I'm correct in my previous post (the wireless modem connected to the Mac via USB and the Roku connected to the Mac via Ethernet), try this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... mh336.html
jeffshoaf

Postby kc8pql » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:09 am

elorimer wrote:I'm not sure I follow. You're connecting to the internet over a Sprint wireless EVDO connection or Netzero dialup? You don't have DSL or cable?

You need a broadband connection, at least 1.5Mbps, 3Mbps for high quality SD.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby rennie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 am

I have Sprint Mobile Broadband using a Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO modem, a TV with HDMI outlet and I have an Ethernet outlet in the back of my Mac. I do not have DSL or Cable. So, I am thinking I might not need a router and wanted to use Ethernet cable from the Roku into the Mac. Is there a way to make this work?
Thank you all for your help.
rennie

Postby SoylentGreen » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:22 pm

rennie wrote:I have Sprint Mobile Broadband using a Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO modem, a TV with HDMI outlet and I have an Ethernet outlet in the back of my Mac. I do not have DSL or Cable. So, I am thinking I might not need a router and wanted to use Ethernet cable from the Roku into the Mac. Is there a way to make this work?

I tried this on XP with a Cricket USB Broadband device and it would NOT bridge the two. You would need to be able to bridge the connections, I know XP just thinks of it as a USB device(not a network device) and would not let me bridge it.
SoylentGreen

Postby jeffshoaf » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:31 pm

rennie wrote:I have Sprint Mobile Broadband using a Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO modem, a TV with HDMI outlet and I have an Ethernet outlet in the back of my Mac. I do not have DSL or Cable. So, I am thinking I might not need a router and wanted to use Ethernet cable from the Roku into the Mac. Is there a way to make this work?

Try this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... mh336.html
jeffshoaf

Postby kumasuki » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:23 pm

rennie wrote:I have Sprint Mobile Broadband using a Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO modem.

You definitely (and minimally) need a router with a USB port compatible with mobile broadband - there are a few now available such as:

Linksys Wireless-G Router For Mobile Broadband WRT54G3GV2-ST

You connect the Compass 597 EVDO modem to a router like the WRT54G3GV2-ST and then use ethernet (or connect wirelessly) to both the Roku and the Mac computer.

BIG CAVEAT: although this will technically work it is HIGHLY unlikely that the broadband throughput will be consistently above 1.5mb - resulting in a lot of re-buffering, stuttering, poor image quality, etc. DSL is strongly recommended if it is available in your location.

P.S. See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1849844,00.asp for a recent rundown on the current broadband mobile picture (note that 1.2mb was among the best reported actual average bandwidth)
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby jsj123 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:03 pm

I setup a network using the Verizon usb stick and Internet Connection Sharing on XP. The other 5 computers could see the internet through the ICS.

I have no idea how to setup a Mac as a router, but suspect that it is not very hard.

--Stephen
jsj123

Postby kumasuki » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:50 pm

jsj123 wrote:I setup a network using the Verizon usb stick and Internet Connection Sharing on XP. The other 5 computers could see the internet through the ICS.

I have no idea how to setup a Mac as a router, but suspect that it is not very hard.

--Stephen

Stephen - do the 5 pc's get IP addresses via DHCP?? If not, then this wouldn't work with a Roku because static IP's cannot be assigned to the box.
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby AmazinglySmooth » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:25 am

I think you will have a bigger issue. EVDO is not really that fast or reliable. I don't think you will be pleased with the picutre quality over EVDO (if it even works).

If you want to try, I suggest you check out EVDOforums.com. The company that hosts it also sells EVDO USB routers. I bought one from them called the Cradlepoint CTR-350.

They have newer versions now, but still streaming over it isn't that great. I use my Slingbox over it occasionally, and it is acceptable. I think it works because Slingbox supports variable encoding rates; I don't think the Roku has quite the same feature.

Lastly, most EVDO plans limit you to 5GB per month. With such a limit, you may not be able to get many shows per month.
AmazinglySmooth

Postby jsj123 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:15 am

I used hard coded ip addresses, but I believe there is a dhcp capability in ics. However, based upon my experiences with the verizon card, it would not be good with the Roku. My bodyshop client uses it for internet access for his estimating apps, but it appears to be dog slow.

I should have more clear on my earlier message, while it probably work, the results will most likely not be satisfactory.

--Stephen
jsj123

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion