"Loading, Please Wait" (Can this be fixed?)

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

"Loading, Please Wait" (Can this be fixed?)

Postby cjoelmitchell » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:00 am

Is there something I need to do to prevent movies from stopping during playback and displaying this message ?

It only happens about 10% of the time or less, but still VERY annoying

What good is streaming if it keeps interrupting ?

I am using Netflix only and it only seems to happen during HD movies

(I meet all the requirements for HD as far as I know)

Downstream: 6016 Kbps
Upstream: 768 Kbps
HDMI cable
cjoelmitchell

Postby RWatson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:45 pm

I have 6 meg download speed and I never see rebuffering (I used to with a slower stream) but I haven't seen it for months and months.

You should confirm your ISP speeds and then look through the many threads on this forum on this subject. There is discussion on how to trace routes, what it means, how to address/understand the issues.

Again, I actually have recently used 3 different streams. Uverse at 6 meg, ATT DSL at 2.6 or so, and Time Warner (Hawaii) at 12meg. I watch almost daily and, again, havent seen any buffering issues for at least 6 months. The service has been amazing stable and totally satisfactory.

Good luck.
RWatson

Postby cjoelmitchell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:46 am

My router diagnostic page confirms the speed at :

Downstream: 6016 Kbps
Upstream: 768 Kbps

I guess the challenge is to find someone who will be accountable ? Roku,Netflix, or ATT ? I am sure they can all just blame the other as the source of the issue....
cjoelmitchell

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:28 am

The big culprit is your ISP. the only reason the roku would have to reload is if it gets a f aster connection at start than it maintains. For example if your connection is always slow you get a poor feed, but it plays fine. If it
s fast, but drops you get a high quality feed that suddenly buffers down.
mkiker2089

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:30 am

Wait, does it buffer down or stay HD? If it stays HD it may be a bug that Roku is working on. Is it certain movies only?
mkiker2089

Postby cjoelmitchell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:06 am

Seems to only happen during HD playback

I disabled the HD and now it works fine

I am using a wireless connection for the Roku ( have no choice) so maybe that is part of the problem. But Roku detects my wireless connection as "Excellent" so maybe not.

I can live without the HD if its because of the wireless, but would be nice to find a fix. Maybe I need a better router
cjoelmitchell

Postby cjoelmitchell » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:08 am

mkiker2089 wrote:Wait, does it buffer down or stay HD? If it stays HD it may be a bug that Roku is working on. Is it certain movies only?

As far as I can remember, it stays in HD but still gives the "loading, please wait"
cjoelmitchell

Postby xackley » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:53 am

Speed test report that I have 15M download.
I cannot watch HD without the multiple "Loading, Please Waits"
It appears that the ROKU is waiting too long before requesting the next buffer.

I set the bandwidth on the ROKU to 4 dots, no HD, as a workaround.

Feature Request: Even after they fix the HD problem, give the user an easy way to set Maximum quality. There are other reasons the user may want to limit the bandwidth.
xackley

Postby cjoelmitchell » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Are you also using a wireless connection to the Roku ?

Turning off the HD does fix the problem, but we are sacrificing quality in the process

Does Roku read these forums ?
cjoelmitchell

Postby techmonkey » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:28 am

I have this same problem sometimes when watching HD Movies, glad. to see their is a work around
techmonkey

Postby cjoelmitchell » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:50 am

ROKU we demand an explanation
cjoelmitchell

Postby mojochris » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:14 pm

cjoelmitchell wrote:ROKU we demand an explanation

Easy there big'n.

It's not going to be a Roku issue more then likely. It's either your network, your ISP, or the netflix server you are connecting too. My guess would be your ISP hiccups from time to time on the actual speed available.
mojochris

Postby cjoelmitchell » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:20 am

mojochris wrote:

Easy there big'n.

It's not going to be a Roku issue more then likely. It's either your network, your ISP, or the netflix server you are connecting too. My guess would be your ISP hiccups from time to time on the actual speed available.

And here is what my ISP will say:

It's not going to be a ISP issue more then likely. It's either your Roku, or the netflix server you are connecting too. My guess would be your Roku hiccups from time to time on the actual speed it can process.
cjoelmitchell

Postby cjoelmitchell » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:54 pm

cjoelmitchell wrote:
mojochris wrote:

Easy there big'n.

And here is what my ISP will say:

It's not going to be a ISP issue more then likely. It's either your Roku, or the netflix server you are connecting too. My guess would be your Roku hiccups from time to time on the actual speed it can process.

Response from Netflix:

It's not going to be a Neflix issue more then likely. It's either your ISP, or Roku device you are connecting too. My guess would be your ISP or Roku hiccups from time to time on the actual speed it can process
cjoelmitchell

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Did the update change anything?
mkiker2089

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion