Feature Question: Set up a continuous play queue?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Feature Question: Set up a continuous play queue?

Postby Jaroom » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:18 pm

I've been hoping there was some way to set up the Roku to play a couple episodes of a show in a row for my child especially when episodes are under a half hour. It became a need today when we added the old Pink Panther cartoons and each one was about 5-minutes long. I have to either stay with him or run up and down the stairs every 5-minutes (good work out!).

Is there a way to have it play one episode after another?
Jaroom

Postby Crow550 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:24 pm

No but i'd love this feature.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Postby Jaroom » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:34 pm

Well, maybe in a future update . . . :o
Jaroom

Postby MoonChaser » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 pm

IF you are using a computer in the other room, there IS a way you can save yourself a trip into the other room.

Luckily, when you finish watching a show, it automatically changes the selected episode to the next one... So if you just watched episode 5, when it goes back to the description screen it will say "Play episode 6." So just log in remotely and tell the Roku to play the currently selected video.

There is a post going into more details, and one of the other forum users has a link to it in his Signature (mentions controlling your Roku through a series of tubes) , but here is the jist of it.

Have your kid yell when the details screen comes back up. If you do this during the credits, it won't work.

Telnet into your roku, port 8080.
(example: if your Roku is 192.168.1.50 you would type telnet 192.168.1.50 8080
notice the space between the 50 and the 8080, and the space between telnet and 192)

then type press select. (OR type press play.)
then type quit.

You would do this at a command prompt... In windows you would need to hit Windows, then select RUN, then type CMD. If you have a link to a command prompt, you can hit that instead of the last part.

Leave that window open if your kid is watching a lot of movies, then repeat the telnet sequence as necessary. When done, type exit.
MoonChaser

Postby billc124 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Or just hit play episode 6 when episode 5 is done and the menu comes up. It takes what, 2 seconds? Most of the time I stop the show when the credits come on anyway, saves time if you think about it. Watching the credits on a show doesn't do you any good but waste time and if you wanted continuous play, it would play all the credits first before playing the next episode. Waste of time, when you can just hit stop and then start the next one.
billc124

Postby MoonChaser » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 pm

That works fine IF you are in the room. The OP had a situation where his kids were watching the Roku by themselves while HE was in the other room. He wanted a solution where he could have the box play one after the other WITHOUT having to run into the living room every few minutes. Stopping it before the credits to go to the next episode takes a LOT more steps, as if you exit out of the video it is STILL on the current video, NOT the next one.

login...

press up
press down
press select
press right
press select
press select.

quit

The kiddos can watch a few minutes of credits... unless a person is computer-savvy enough to set up a script that would send all of these with one click, the extra typing is almost as much work as going into the other room anyway. My suggestion was how he could do it from another room, without having to physically return to the box.

I usually let the credits roll myself anyway, so the default option if I ever wanted to watch a movie or specific episode of a series a second time I don't have to explicitly tell it to play from beginning, it's automatic as it's already there.

:)
MoonChaser

Postby jeffrok » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:36 pm

billc124 wrote:Or just hit play episode 6 when episode 5 is done and the menu comes up. It takes what, 2 seconds? Most of the time I stop the show when the credits come on anyway, saves time if you think about it. Watching the credits on a show doesn't do you any good but waste time and if you wanted continuous play, it would play all the credits first before playing the next episode. Waste of time, when you can just hit stop and then start the next one.

Let's say you have a 4 year old (I assume you don't), and that 4 year old is in the next room, the play room, that has a TV hooked up.. He's watching 8-10 minute cartoon episodes- like 10 of them, while he plays.. You're saying it's just as easy to stop every 8-10 minutes, pick up the remote, navigate to the next episode, and select it? Yes it's EASY, but it's a pain the butt, and a continuous play makes sense in a case like this. CD's have it, DVD changers have it, the Roku could have it easily, as well.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby billc124 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:45 pm

The problem here is really that Netflix encodes each episode on the DVD separately, if they just encoded the whole 6 episodes or whatever was on one disc as one stream this would not be as much of an issue. You might only have to continue play after 4 hour long episodes or 8 half hour episodes or more depending on the length. I would rather see Roku work on other things like letting you select and watch IW stuff without adding it to your queue first. Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact Netflix to suggest they change the way they are encoding TV shows, or even better, offer both options.
billc124

Postby dnelms » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:26 am

On a DVD, the file structure is such that the "play all" is one seperate title. Each episode is a seperate title. So the only way this could be done (assuming no firmware change) would be if Netflix or Amazon offerred a "play all" option for a season disc. I don't think they would be able to encode a whole season.

Maybe a solution would be if they (Netflix or Amazon) had a User Queue in their software that could be controlled at your PC. Setup it up ahead of time and select it from the Roku later. But it would be in how each channel programmed it.
dnelms

Postby billc124 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 am

dnelms wrote:On a DVD, the file structure is such that the "play all" is one seperate title. Each episode is a seperate title. So the only way this could be done (assuming no firmware change) would be if Netflix or Amazon offerred a "play all" option for a season disc. I don't think they would be able to encode a whole season.

Maybe a solution would be if they (Netflix or Amazon) had a User Queue in their software that could be controlled at your PC. Setup it up ahead of time and select it from the Roku later. But it would be in how each channel programmed it.

Right, but they could do this if they chose to, it might take a bit of editing but could be done. They may not be able to alter the DVD in any way though, due to licensing so who knows.
billc124

It shouldn't be difficult

Postby Shlepzig » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:22 am

It would be the Roku Netlfix Application that requires a "Play All episodes" or a "Play Continuously" option which would just script the advance to the next episode without input from the viewer.

I expect that kind of programming would be fairly easy to implement by the application team, whether they are Roku Devlopers or Netflix Devlopers that wrote the Netflix Application. I just don't know who would be right group to ask, I suspect Netflix.

-shlep
Shlepzig

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion