Netflix not working after update

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Postby RokuJamesL » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 am

It's very possible Netflix and/or Amazon had CDN issues over the weekend. Are people still having problems connecting today?
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby Satnamji » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:59 am

I had problems last night as well and at the present moment, I'm just able to get a 2.5 mbps HD-quality stream from Netflix though I can't quite get there for Amazon HD. I did a Netflix speed check just now and my readings averaged around 7.2 mbps.
Satnamji

Postby Satnamji » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:16 pm

Satnamji wrote:I had problems last night as well and at the present moment, I'm just able to get a 2.5 mbps HD-quality stream from Netflix though I can't quite get there for Amazon HD. I did a Netflix speed check just now and my readings averaged around 7.2 mbps.

I checked again about an hour ago and Amazon is now fine (2.5 mbps on 6 mbps network), but I'm still only getting 2.5 mbps (rather than 3.8 mbps) on Netflix.
Satnamji

Postby etpelle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:11 pm

I am still having rebuffers and slow load times when watching Lost.
I was was a beta tester and did not have any problems until
saturday.
etpelle

Re: update zapped both of my devices

Postby SUMMERSPA » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:10 pm

shelleyp wrote:
Actually, 200 testers for half a million boxes sold is not a sufficient pool of testers.

My suggestion to the person having the problem, and this is only a suggestion, I didn't have upgrade problems:

Deactivate one box with Netflix.
Reset the box back to a factory install state, using this option in the Roku Player settings.
Unless it automatically updates, once the start screen is up, reset the networking connection, and then reconnect to Netflix.
See if everything is working.
Then do the update.

This might be something that will clear out a problem state, possibly based on some previous install glitch, and shouldn't hurt anything. Worst case scenario: it won't work, but it doesn't now, anyway.

i noticed that someone mentioned about resetting both, but again, does that mean you rebooted, or actually did the factory fresh reinstall?

SUMMERSPA, when you get a not connecting message, is this popping up when your movie queue is supposed to be loading? The reason I say this is that Netflix is having problems, last weekend and this weekend. To test to see if the box really can't connect to the internet, go into Roku Player Settings and check the network option. You'll be able to see immediately if you really can't connect to the network. You may have to go through the network install again.

The movie queue just won't load. I get the main bouncing "Roku" screen, it accessed the movie queue once, but lost it. Now selecting the Roku screen, I get a message (don't remember the exact wording now) but says it's checking for connections. Finally I get a screen which shows it can access my wireless and my network, but can no longer access the internet. That's the message I get. "Cannot access the internet." I've had the problem Saturday, Sunday and today. It seems to be ever since they loaded that baseball option (or whatever it is).

I have done a complete reset of my moden/router (which is my Gateway). That meant I had to resetup my network. I have done both a reset and factory reset of the Roku unit, but to no avail. I've reset up my network to no avail. NetFlix says I should be okay for working from their end. My IP Comcast says I should be okay for working. Talked to Roku twice today. The first time, the technician told me I needed to have two static DNS servers added to my Gateway. But Comcast says they use a dynamic Gateway DNS, so that is not possible. Comcast doesn't work that way and cannot add two static DNS addresses. They called Roku with me on the line (the 2nd Roku call). Roku said I now needed to buy another router and add to the mix... all of this after everything working fine with my Gateway for four months. Comcast asked if Roku could reverse the firmware update and take mine back to the earlier firmware which worked fine, but Roku said they were not able to do that. I don't think I should have to buy more hardware to use this unit when it worked fine for several months until they changed it. Ultimately, Roku customer service agreed to replace my current unit since it is no longer working and is still under warranty. They gave me an RMA number to return my current unit for an exchange which they said should arrive within 5-7 business days. They never really explained why it's not working but said the unit they send will not have these same problems as I'm having now with this one.
SUMMERSPA

Postby shelleyp » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:36 am

SUMMERSPA wrote:
shelleyp wrote:

SUMMERSPA, when you get a not connecting message, is this popping up when your movie queue is supposed to be loading? The reason I say this is that Netflix is having problems, last weekend and this weekend. To test to see if the box really can't connect to the internet, go into Roku Player Settings and check the network option. You'll be able to see immediately if you really can't connect to the network. You may have to go through the network install again.

The movie queue just won't load. I get the main bouncing "Roku" screen, it accessed the movie queue once, but lost it. Now selecting the Roku screen, I get a message (don't remember the exact wording now) but says it's checking for connections. Finally I get a screen which shows it can access my wireless and my network, but can no longer access the internet. That's the message I get. "Cannot access the internet." I've had the problem Saturday, Sunday and today. It seems to be ever since they loaded that baseball option (or whatever it is).

I have done a complete reset of my moden/router (which is my Gateway). That meant I had to resetup my network. I have done both a reset and factory reset of the Roku unit, but to no avail. I've reset up my network to no avail. NetFlix says I should be okay for working from their end. My IP Comcast says I should be okay for working. Talked to Roku twice today. The first time, the technician told me I needed to have two static DNS servers added to my Gateway. But Comcast says they use a dynamic Gateway DNS, so that is not possible. Comcast doesn't work that way and cannot add two static DNS addresses. They called Roku with me on the line (the 2nd Roku call). Roku said I now needed to buy another router and add to the mix... all of this after everything working fine with my Gateway for four months. Comcast asked if Roku could reverse the firmware update and take mine back to the earlier firmware which worked fine, but Roku said they were not able to do that. I don't think I should have to buy more hardware to use this unit when it worked fine for several months until they changed it. Ultimately, Roku customer service agreed to replace my current unit since it is no longer working and is still under warranty. They gave me an RMA number to return my current unit for an exchange which they said should arrive within 5-7 business days. They never really explained why it's not working but said the unit they send will not have these same problems as I'm having now with this one.

Hopefully when the sun comes over the horizon on the west coast, you'll get a response from Roku. In the meantime...

What the tech person told you about static DNS is in error. Or most likely, there was a lot of confusion about terms.

Dynamic DNS is common[1], and has to do with an IP assignment. Probably most Roku users are served by ISPs that are utilizing dynamic DNS. You don't have a static IP address, your IP address is dynamically assigned by your ISP.

What the Roku help was probably talking about was DNS server entries, used to resolve domain names to IP addresses of the CDN. Again, you don't have to have these statically coded. For instance, my router is configured to obtain DNS information automatically when a connection is made. It also has places where I can input DNS servers from something like OpenDNS, but as long as my ISP's DNS servers are functioning, it shouldn't make a difference on connection. You don't _have_ to use static DNS assignments.

If your router worked before, it should work now. It sounds like you are getting an internet connection, you're just not connecting to Netflix. As for the message you're getting, it's actually an incorrect message. What's happening is you're not connecting to the Content Delivery Network (CDN). Roku folks, feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong on this.

As for sending you a new device, unless the company has rewired the boxes, they should be basically the same. They all run on the same firmware.

Question: did you try connecting to Amazon? You don't have to buy anything, but I'm curious what happens if you try to connect to Amazon?

Last weekend and this weekend there have been CDN issues. I'm sure you tried yesterday, but you might try again today, and you might also check Amazon to make sure you have access to that channel. If you do, then the issue is with Netflix and the Netflix CDN.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS
shelleyp

Postby SUMMERSPA » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:22 am

shelleyp wrote: (to SUMMERSPA)
Hopefully when the sun comes over the horizon on the west coast, you'll get a response from Roku. In the meantime...

What the tech person told you about static DNS is in error. Or most likely, there was a lot of confusion about terms.

Dynamic DNS is common[1], and has to do with an IP assignment. Probably most Roku users are served by ISPs that are utilizing dynamic DNS. You don't have a static IP address, your IP address is dynamically assigned by your ISP.

What the Roku help was probably talking about was DNS server entries, used to resolve domain names to IP addresses of the CDN. Again, you don't have to have these statically coded. For instance, my router is configured to obtain DNS information automatically when a connection is made. It also has places where I can input DNS servers from something like OpenDNS, but as long as my ISP's DNS servers are functioning, it shouldn't make a difference on connection. You don't _have_ to use static DNS assignments.

If your router worked before, it should work now. It sounds like you are getting an internet connection, you're just not connecting to Netflix. As for the message you're getting, it's actually an incorrect message. What's happening is you're not connecting to the Content Delivery Network (CDN). Roku folks, feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong on this.

As for sending you a new device, unless the company has rewired the boxes, they should be basically the same. They all run on the same firmware.

Question: did you try connecting to Amazon? You don't have to buy anything, but I'm curious what happens if you try to connect to Amazon?

Last weekend and this weekend there have been CDN issues. I'm sure you tried yesterday, but you might try again today, and you might also check Amazon to make sure you have access to that channel. If you do, then the issue is with Netflix and the Netflix CDN.

It was BOTH of the Roku technicians who told me I needed to use the static DNS addresses. As I said, the 2nd technician said I needed to buy a router (in addition to using my Gateway) so I could enter them. My Gateway is a Comcast-provided one.

And, actually, I am NOT getting an internet connection anymore. So, except for that one brief time, I don't even get the screen with the NetFlix and Amazon selections. So there is no way I can check it with Amazon since that doesn't come up as a selection anymore.

I understand what you say about the units all being wired the same. I have concerns about that too. So I'll try setting up the Roku unit one more time today before I send it back.
SUMMERSPA

Postby shelleyp » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:07 am

SUMMERSPA wrote:
shelleyp wrote: (to SUMMERSPA)

It was BOTH of the Roku technicians who told me I needed to use the static DNS addresses. As I said, the 2nd technician said I needed to buy a router (in addition to using my Gateway) so I could enter them. My Gateway is a Comcast-provided one.

And, actually, I am NOT getting an internet connection anymore. So, except for that one brief time, I don't even get the screen with the NetFlix and Amazon selections. So there is no way I can check it with Amazon since that doesn't come up as a selection anymore.

I understand what you say about the units all being wired the same. I have concerns about that too. So I'll try setting up the Roku unit one more time today before I send it back.

This must be really frustrating for you. I know how I get when stuff craps out and there's moving parts and conflicting advice.

Well, the Roku folks saying you have to provide static DNS servers are incorrect. If you didn't have to before, you don't need to now. I imagine you're DSL, and your router should be set up to pull DNS servers dynamically when you connect.

Besides, you couldn't connect to this place without it working.

If you're not even getting the home screen, then yeah, you've got more than connection problems.

I've never tried this, but I completely disconnected my Roku and rebooted. What happens:

Roku starting message
Purple launching home screen message
After a considerable amount of time, the Channel selection list shows. This is the white screen with the Netflix, Amazon, Roku settings, and now MLB icon.

You're not getting to that third step?

When I try to access Netflix, I quickly a message that says "No ethernet cable detected" (I'm hard wired).

So you do get a message if you're not connected to the internet, at all. I imagine if I was wireless, it would say no signal detected. The message happens very quickly, too. This is different than when connecting to the CDN fails, because that can take a considerable length of time.

So, at which of these points, are you failing?

(Now, I'm going to carefully go back and recoonect everything again)
shelleyp

Postby techmonkey » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:11 am

No real problems here although ROKU did have one "hiccup" this week end. After watching a Netflix movie I tried to back to the mains screen and the ROKU box froze to where none of the remote buttons would do anything. After about 45 seconds ROKU rebooted itself and all was well. Anyone else ever have this happen?
techmonkey

Postby SUMMERSPA » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:30 am

shelleyp wrote:This must be really frustrating for you. I know how I get when stuff craps out and there's moving parts and conflicting advice.

Well, the Roku folks saying you have to provide static DNS servers are incorrect. If you didn't have to before, you don't need to now. I imagine you're DSL, and your router should be set up to pull DNS servers dynamically when you connect.

Besides, you couldn't connect to this place without it working.

If you're not even getting the home screen, then yeah, you've got more than connection problems.

I've never tried this, but I completely disconnected my Roku and rebooted. What happens:

Roku starting message
Purple launching home screen message
After a considerable amount of time, the Channel selection list shows. This is the white screen with the Netflix, Amazon, Roku settings, and now MLB icon.

You're not getting to that third step?

When I try to access Netflix, I quickly a message that says "No ethernet cable detected" (I'm hard wired).

So you do get a message if you're not connected to the internet, at all. I imagine if I was wireless, it would say no signal detected. The message happens very quickly, too. This is different than when connecting to the CDN fails, because that can take a considerable length of time.

So, at which of these points, are you failing?

(Now, I'm going to carefully go back and recoonect everything again)

I tried reconnecting it again. Unplugged Roku, did a factory. It is still not working, but the problem has changed slightly. Yesterday, the Roku technician asked for my unit serial number, and I don't know if this may have had any impact on the situation. Now, the wireless setup screen says the unit connects to my wireless network (green light as before), connects to my local network (green light as before), and now also connects to the internet (red light before--it was not doing that before-- now it's green light). Then I got the message that it "can't connect to Roku. Please try again later. Contact www.roku.com/support. There was an option to "try again."

I kept trying to connect at that same screen with the green lights until I finally got a screen with NetFlix and Amazon on it. Baseball option was not listed, but I don't watch baseball anyway.

I selected NetFlix and had to go through the NetFlix activation process again. At first Roku was unable to give me a code to enter in NetFlix. After numerous attempts, it finally did. I entered the code in NetFlix and that took so long to activate that it would expire in Roku before any activation took place. Or it would expire in NetFlix. I went through the process of getting another activation code from Roku numerous times. Trying to activate it in NetFlix numerous times. But I keep getting the message "Activation issue. There was a problem activating. Please select 'get a new code' and try again." I keep trying to get a new code. Sometimes it gives me one and sometimes it doesn't. Still, by the time I get it entered in the NetFlix page at http://www.netflix.com/activate , either the Roku has found a problem with the code they gave me, or NetFlix hasn't activated it yet and it expires. It expires on one end or the other before the unit connects to NetFlix. Very frustrating and maddening.

What I meant when I said I could not connect to the internet before, it was that the Roku device was telling me IT could not connect to the internet. My internet connection is cable with a Gateway with wireless option. My Roku unit connects wirelessly and has good signal strength.

shelleyp, I really appreciate your help. Any more suggestions at this point? I have to leave the house for a while and, if you have any more ideas, will try again when I return.
SUMMERSPA

Postby shelleyp » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:19 pm

SUMMERSPA wrote:
I tried reconnecting it again. Unplugged Roku, did a factory. It is still not working, but the problem has changed slightly. Yesterday, the Roku technician asked for my unit serial number, and I don't know if this may have had any impact on the situation. Now, the wireless setup screen says the unit connects to my wireless network (green light as before), connects to my local network (green light as before), and now also connects to the internet (red light before--it was not doing that before-- now it's green light). Then I got the message that it "can't connect to Roku. Please try again later. Contact www.roku.com/support. There was an option to "try again."

I kept trying to connect at that same screen with the green lights until I finally got a screen with NetFlix and Amazon on it. Baseball option was not listed, but I don't watch baseball anyway.

I selected NetFlix and had to go through the NetFlix activation process again. At first Roku was unable to give me a code to enter in NetFlix. After numerous attempts, it finally did. I entered the code in NetFlix and that took so long to activate that it would expire in Roku before any activation took place. Or it would expire in NetFlix. I went through the process of getting another activation code from Roku numerous times. Trying to activate it in NetFlix numerous times. But I keep getting the message "Activation issue. There was a problem activating. Please select 'get a new code' and try again." I keep trying to get a new code. Sometimes it gives me one and sometimes it doesn't. Still, by the time I get it entered in the NetFlix page at http://www.netflix.com/activate , either the Roku has found a problem with the code they gave me, or NetFlix hasn't activated it yet and it expires. It expires on one end or the other before the unit connects to NetFlix. Very frustrating and maddening.

What I meant when I said I could not connect to the internet before, it was that the Roku device was telling me IT could not connect to the internet. My internet connection is cable with a Gateway with wireless option. My Roku unit connects wirelessly and has good signal strength.

shelleyp, I really appreciate your help. Any more suggestions at this point? I have to leave the house for a while and, if you have any more ideas, will try again when I return.

Several of us had this type of problem two weekends ago. Roku couldn't connect to Netflix, and our Netflix activations got reset, and we couldn't get a Netflix activation code. That was a problem with Netflix.

Folks aren't having the problem today, or you'd probably see many of us asking "Whatsup?" here in the forums.

Hopefully RokuJamesL will respond soon, but it sounds like you are having latency issues accessing the CDN.

The problem could be that Comcast's DNS servers are responding too slowly when it comes to resolving the Roku CDN address. That may be why the Roku tech support wanted you to use static DNS server addresses, at least temporarily.

I don't know, though. If you're not having any problems accessing any other site, I don't think that's the issue.

It could be there's a connection problem to the closest CDN server for your locale, but again, I would think others would be having the same problems, and I don't see access issues showing up today.

Lastly, it could be your box. There could be something wrong with your box. You say your wireless is showing up fine, so that shouldn't be it. And your router worked before, and you're not running with the new update, so there shouldn't be anything in the update that would suddenly make your router stop working.

What to try next...it's all stuff that can possibly screw up your internet connection, so I hate to suggest anything.

You could try signing up at OpenDNS and getting a couple of DNS server addresses and then programming these into your modem. If you've never done this before, I don't recommend it.

You could try running an ethernet cable from your modem to your Roku, to see if it is the wireless causing problems, but I imagine you'd have to run a lo-o-o-ng wire.

You could trying pinging the Content Delivery Address, to see how long it takes to respond, but you know, I don't think that has ever helped anyone before. It takes a network engineer to reliably read the results, and the results can vary between your access via the Roku, and the ping you'd run. I can't remember what the address is, anyway. Someone would have to provide it.

You could try the new box when it comes, which should be coming within a couple of days.

Question: did you access Amazon? There are free shows, you have to sign up, but it doesn't cost anything to sign up and access a freebie. You can preview movies, or access the Free shows from the Special values queue. Amazon should be running against a different CDN (knock on wood), and if the CDN is the problem, you would get access to Amazon (knock on wood) even if you can't access Netflix.

So, that's what I would try next: try accessing something from Amazon.
shelleyp

Postby RokuJamesL » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:56 pm

SUMMERSPA, shellyp has given you a lot of good advice already. To me it sounds like you are still encountering some kind of CDN or DNS problem. Maybe a combination of both.

You mention at one point that you were able to get to the Roku home screen where you saw Netflix, Amazon, but no MLB baseball channel. If this is the case, your box has not updated yet, so we can rule out any sort of update issue.

Shellyp's suggestion about trying Amazon is a good one. Assuming the network connection is still intact, go into the Amazon VOD service and try playing a movie's 2 minute preview. That should give us a better idea of what is going on. Note how many dots of quality you get (out of 4). One other thing to note. When you are at the Roku home screen, there usually is an Amazon ad banner at the bottom center of the screen. If you see that banner, it's a pretty good indication that your network connection is good.

When you reset your broadband modem/gateway, did that involve some sort of factory reset procedure of that device, or was it simply power cycling it?

Also, it is worth a try to configure the modem/gateway with the OpenDNS IPs. A lot of users have seen general improvement using those instead of the ISP's DNS. If you are not familiar with how to set that, I can figure that out and give you a step by step procedure if you can tell me what model modem it is.

It's likely there was some sort of CDN issue over the weekend which affected some users. The fact that things pretty much returned to normal Monday seems to support that.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby SUMMERSPA » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:14 pm

shelleyp wrote:Several of us had this type of problem two weekends ago. Roku couldn't connect to Netflix, and our Netflix activations got reset, and we couldn't get a Netflix activation code. That was a problem with Netflix.

Folks aren't having the problem today, or you'd probably see many of us asking "Whatsup?" here in the forums.

Hopefully RokuJamesL will respond soon, but it sounds like you are having latency issues accessing the CDN.

The problem could be that Comcast's DNS servers are responding too slowly when it comes to resolving the Roku CDN address. That may be why the Roku tech support wanted you to use static DNS server addresses, at least temporarily.

I don't know, though. If you're not having any problems accessing any other site, I don't think that's the issue.

It could be there's a connection problem to the closest CDN server for your locale, but again, I would think others would be having the same problems, and I don't see access issues showing up today.

Lastly, it could be your box. There could be something wrong with your box. You say your wireless is showing up fine, so that shouldn't be it. And your router worked before, and you're not running with the new update, so there shouldn't be anything in the update that would suddenly make your router stop working.

What to try next...it's all stuff that can possibly screw up your internet connection, so I hate to suggest anything.

You could try signing up at OpenDNS and getting a couple of DNS server addresses and then programming these into your modem. If you've never done this before, I don't recommend it.

You could try running an ethernet cable from your modem to your Roku, to see if it is the wireless causing problems, but I imagine you'd have to run a lo-o-o-ng wire.

You could trying pinging the Content Delivery Address, to see how long it takes to respond, but you know, I don't think that has ever helped anyone before. It takes a network engineer to reliably read the results, and the results can vary between your access via the Roku, and the ping you'd run. I can't remember what the address is, anyway. Someone would have to provide it.

You could try the new box when it comes, which should be coming within a couple of days.

Question: did you access Amazon? There are free shows, you have to sign up, but it doesn't cost anything to sign up and access a freebie. You can preview movies, or access the Free shows from the Special values queue. Amazon should be running against a different CDN (knock on wood), and if the CDN is the problem, you would get access to Amazon (knock on wood) even if you can't access Netflix.

So, that's what I would try next: try accessing something from Amazon.

AND

RokuJamesL wrote:SUMMERSPA, shellyp has given you a lot of good advice already. To me it sounds like you are still encountering some kind of CDN or DNS problem. Maybe a combination of both.

You mention at one point that you were able to get to the Roku home screen where you saw Netflix, Amazon, but no MLB baseball channel. If this is the case, your box has not updated yet, so we can rule out any sort of update issue.

Shellyp's suggestion about trying Amazon is a good one. Assuming the network connection is still intact, go into the Amazon VOD service and try playing a movie's 2 minute preview. That should give us a better idea of what is going on. Note how many dots of quality you get (out of 4). One other thing to note. When you are at the Roku home screen, there usually is an Amazon ad banner at the bottom center of the screen. If you see that banner, it's a pretty good indication that your network connection is good.

When you reset your broadband modem/gateway, did that involve some sort of factory reset procedure of that device, or was it simply power cycling it?

Also, it is worth a try to configure the modem/gateway with the OpenDNS IPs. A lot of users have seen general improvement using those instead of the ISP's DNS. If you are not familiar with how to set that, I can figure that out and give you a step by step procedure if you can tell me what model modem it is.

It's likely there was some sort of CDN issue over the weekend which affected some users. The fact that things pretty much returned to normal Monday seems to support that.

The box HAD been updated and that's when all of these problems started. I DID have the baseball selection option when things started going bad. I did two or three factory resets on the box by putting a ballpoint pen in the reset hole for 30 seconds as the manual says to do it. I disconnected it and unplugged the power and tried to start from scratch like it was out of the box. Only then was I able to finally get the NetFlix and Amazon logos without the baseball option. It even looked for a while like things were going to work. But I got to the activation code part and could not get that completed. Sometimes the Roku screen would not give me a code and other times it gave me one but within a few seconds gave me a message it was having an activation issue. This was before I could even get it entered in the NetFlix activation page. Then sometimes the code expired in NetFlix first. HOWEVER, I did finally manage to get the activation accomplished! This according to both the screens on NetFlix and the one on the tv generated by the Roku player. But it would not bring up my NetFlix queue.

So I did try connecting via Amazon. Although not many images were shown, it allowed me to search and to select a 2 min. free preview. However it would not play the preview. After a minute or two, the screen reverted to the screen where you select to play, play the 2 min preview, (I forget the 3rd selection there). It never showed me any content at all.

So, unable to select the 2 min preview, I selected to "play" since it was only a season preview anyway. So Amazon started the code activation process and generated a code. But before I could get it entered in the Amazon screen, Amazon screen from the Roku unit stated it could not connect to the internet.

On the wireless setup, I now get green lights on wireless network connection and my local network connection. But a red light on the internet connection. Only once in all of this effort did I get all three on green lights and that was when I was finally able to get the activation after repeated tries.

My Linksys Wireless G cable model WCG200-CC gateway box was setup by Comcast my IP and I paid them to setup my network and for networking support. The Roku unit worked great with their settings until the Roku update. I always got 3 or 4 dots signal strength and I think it said "excellent quality"... something like that. I never had any problem with the unit at all. I don't see any of that signal strength info on the screen anymore. I guess because it isn't accessing the internet except briefly only very occasionally. The unit is setting exactly where it has always sat when it worked so well. My laptop's wireless connection has no problem accessing the internet and maintaining an excellent connection from much farther away than the Roku box is.
SUMMERSPA

Postby RokuJamesL » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:24 pm

SUMMERSPA wrote:The box HAD been updated and that's when all of these problems started. I DID have the baseball selection option when things started going bad. I did two or three factory resets on the box by putting a ballpoint pen in the reset hole for 30 seconds as the manual says to do it. I disconnected it and unplugged the power and tried to start from scratch like it was out of the box. Only then was I able to finally get the NetFlix and Amazon logos without the baseball option. It even looked for a while like things were going to work. But I got to the activation code part and could not get that completed. Sometimes the Roku screen would not give me a code and other times it gave me one but within a few seconds gave me a message it was having an activation issue. This was before I could even get it entered in the NetFlix activation page. Then sometimes the code expired in NetFlix first. HOWEVER, I did finally manage to get the activation accomplished! This according to both the screens on NetFlix and the one on the tv generated by the Roku player. But it would not bring up my NetFlix queue.

Okay, I misunderstood your original comments then. I was under the impression that the box had never updated. Actually what you described-- where MLB appeared and disappeared, is not a good sign. What that means is the box updated and then for some reason reverted back to the old version on its own at some point. It should never do that, and if it does, it suggests that there was a problem introduced in the update process itself. I am inclined so say that we wait for the replacement unit to arrive and try that because I suspect the current unit somehow got messed up in the update process.
RokuJamesL
Roku Engineering

Postby SUMMERSPA » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:06 am

RokuJamesL wrote: (to SUMMERSPA)

Okay, I misunderstood your original comments then. I was under the impression that the box had never updated. Actually what you described-- where MLB appeared and disappeared, is not a good sign. What that means is the box updated and then for some reason reverted back to the old version on its own at some point. It should never do that, and if it does, it suggests that there was a problem introduced in the update process itself. I am inclined so say that we wait for the replacement unit to arrive and try that because I suspect the current unit somehow got messed up in the update process.

Okay, I'll go ahead and box it up and send it back then and wait for the replacement to arrive. As I mentioned before, I do already have a RMA number from Roku. Thank you so much for your help, RokuJames. And thank you also to Shelleyp.
SUMMERSPA

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion