Cannot Stretch 4:3 Movies to 16:9

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Cannot Stretch 4:3 Movies to 16:9

Postby zardoz1138 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:15 pm

I have an LG 42" plasma tv. I have my Roku player hooked up via HDMI. If I get a movie that is in 4:3, the tv remote is not stretching the video. Is this a normal thing for the Roku player or is it my TV that is the problem?
zardoz1138

Postby QuantumIguana » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm not sure why you would want the movie to be stretched, but it looks like it is an issue with the TV, the Roku can't keep your TV from stretching the image. Have you tried other modes on the TV? My TV has 4 modes, normal, zoom, wide and cinema. The only time I use anything other than normal is when the content is widescreen, but it is within a 4x3 frame. I use Cinema mode to make it fit the screen without distorting the image.
QuantumIguana

Postby yragha » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:19 pm

It's the TV.

I'm surprised the brand you mentioned doesn't offer a stretch option. I have a Sony and it does wonders, but I also have a budget Dynex and I run into this problem.

For instance, if I'm watching "Coach" on the roku watching 4:3 SD fills the screen, watching in HD 720 gives me black bars. Gotta love it.

If I don't want to see black bars on the sides I have to watch in 4:3. If I don't and have the ROKU set for HD, I get black bars. Don't ask me why as it would seem to be the other way around.
yragha

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:26 pm

QuantumIguana- cinema cuts the sides off though. You'd be better off using wide if the image is squished. Wide stretches it, but if it's squished that's exactly what you need.

As far as stretching netflix, you set the box to 16*9 and that's all you can do. No TV will stretch it beyond that since what you get is a widescreen image with black bars as the sides, not a 4*3 image with bars made by the TV. It's hard to explain but those bars come from netflix as part of the movie and can't be taken off.
mkiker2089

Postby QuantumIguana » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 pm

If you're watching a 4x3 program on a 16x9 TV set, you're going to have black bars on the sides, the picture just doesn't fit the screen. If you really don't want the black bars, you can stretch the screen, which distorts the image, or zoom, which doesn't distort, but cuts off the top and bottom of the picture. Your choice.

I do dislike a 16x9 movie jammed in a 4x3 area. There are some Netflix movies that have this, and some SD TV channels do this. I've found that in this case, zoom doesn't seem to do anything, but cinema works. For example, I have digital cable, and if I watch the <s>Sci-Fi</s> SyFy HD channel, all is fine. If I watch the SD SyFy channel, then it is a 16x9 movie jammed into a 4x3 area. One thing I don't like about cable is that the channels are chaotically layed out, the HD and the SD SyFy channel are far, far apart on the listing, with the SD channel being at 44, while the HD channel is at 400+.
QuantumIguana

Postby mkiker2089 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:48 pm

I get what you are saying, but what does "wide" do, one option is wide isn't it? That's what most tv's use to stretch the image across the screen without cutting anything off. For 16*9 channels that's the best option. Typically "cinema" is for movies that are wider and it cuts the edges off a bit to help fill the screen. Your TV could be different though.

Either way the Roku is 16*9 no matter what is put out I think so you have to set it to fill the screen and accept what you get.

I too hate that HD channels aren't with the SD. It's even worse with digital. 40.1 may be scifi but 40.2 may be pbs. It's rare, but several channels here do that. HD channels are almost always in the hundreds.
mkiker2089

Postby zardoz1138 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:26 am

My tv has several options like Set by Program, Just, 16x9 and 4:3. I may be missing one. Anyways when watching something like Blues Clues for my kid (go ahead and laugh) even though I'm set to 16:9 it appears as a 4:3 picture. When I use the other settings they only adjust the picture size slightly one way or the other. I think that it is just the way the show is set size wize from netflix. Thanks for everyones reply to this.
zardoz1138

Postby dag16 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:34 am

zardoz1138 wrote:My tv has several options like Set by Program, Just, 16x9 and 4:3. I may be missing one. Anyways when watching something like Blues Clues for my kid (go ahead and laugh) even though I'm set to 16:9 it appears as a 4:3 picture. When I use the other settings they only adjust the picture size slightly one way or the other. I think that it is just the way the show is set size wize from netflix. Thanks for everyones reply to this.

that's because the picture you're feeding it is 4:3
the just setting should zoom a bit, do you have a zoom setting too?
overall, this is definitely an issue with your TV, I'm sure in the manual it says how to stretch a 4:3 picture to fill the screen?
6Meg DSL Connection, Forced to 3.5
dag16

Postby philsoft » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:41 am

zardoz1138 wrote:My tv has several options like Set by Program, Just, 16x9 and 4:3. I may be missing one. Anyways when watching something like Blues Clues for my kid (go ahead and laugh) even though I'm set to 16:9 it appears as a 4:3 picture. When I use the other settings they only adjust the picture size slightly one way or the other. I think that it is just the way the show is set size wize from netflix. Thanks for everyones reply to this.

I am guessing that this is a Panasonic TV? If so, "Just" stands (I believe) for 'Justified' (or something like that). It is a setting that stretches the 4X3 image to 16X9 but does it in a supposedly intelligent way, by minimizing the stretch of pixels located toward the center of the screen, while maximizing stretch of pixels located toward the sides of the screen.

EDIT++

I just saw that you said it was an LG TV, so unless LG uses 'Just' in the same way as Panasonic, then my post should be ignored, since I was clueless enough to miss the LG clearly written in the first post :oops:
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby QuantumIguana » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:47 am

Anyone who would laugh at you watching kids shows with your kids either doesn't have kids or maybe they shouldn't.

In any case, you can stretch things like cartoons without it being annoying, as cartoon characters aren't drawn to normal proportions anyway. When you stretch images of people, the proportions are wrong - it's not fingernails on chalkboard wrong, but somewhat annoying. If you don't know what an object is supposed to look like, you don't notice.
QuantumIguana

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:13 am

Here's the thing that stops him stretching it, and I've said it before. Trust me I know what I'm talking about. You set the netflix box, and that is the size of the image it puts out. On HD or 16*9 ALL movies and shows are 16*9, only some have black bars AS PART OF THE PICTURE. Your TV things it's getting a widescreen image (it is) and can't stretch it.

The only option is to put the box on SD and get a 4*3 image.
mkiker2089

Postby billc124 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:37 am

mkiker2089 wrote:Here's the thing that stops him stretching it, and I've said it before. Trust me I know what I'm talking about. You set the netflix box, and that is the size of the image it puts out. On HD or 16*9 ALL movies and shows are 16*9, only some have black bars AS PART OF THE PICTURE. Your TV things it's getting a widescreen image (it is) and can't stretch it.

The only option is to put the box on SD and get a 4*3 image.

What he said ^^. It is the same as watching an HD channel on your 16*9 TV that is broadcasting something that isn't in HD. The black bars are put there by the broadcaster so your TV is getting a 16*9 picture, it just so happens that the black bars are part of said picture. Nothing you can do if you want to stretch but switch to the SD channel that is only sending a 4*3 picture. Switching your Roku to 4*3 is the same as switching to the SD channel on the TV.
billc124

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion