Roku and media from Pc

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Roku and media from Pc

Postby theonlydvh » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:12 pm

Is there a way to play media from your pc on the roku? Does it have to be a specific kind of media ie: mgeg, streaming? I download movies and programs regularly to my PC thru my media center, but can't get the ROKU to recognize it. Is there a specific set of instructions to follow or am I barking up a tree?
As you are, so once was I. As I am so shall ye be!
theonlydvh

Re: Roku and media from Pc

Postby billc124 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:47 pm

theonlydvh wrote:Is there a way to play media from your pc on the roku? Does it have to be a specific kind of media ie: mgeg, streaming? I download movies and programs regularly to my PC thru my media center, but can't get the ROKU to recognize it. Is there a specific set of instructions to follow or am I barking up a tree?

The Roku only plays content from Netflix, Amazon and MLB. It does not play anything else. It may do this eventually, but for right now it doesn't.
billc124

Postby mustangbaby101 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:58 am

There is a program called tversity you can download at tversity.com. I am currently trying to see if it will work with Roku because I want to do the same thing-- But if you have a ps3 or xbox 360, they have the ability to link with tversity and stream your content on your tv.
mustangbaby101

Postby kc8pql » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:03 am

mustangbaby101 wrote: I am currently trying to see if it will work with Roku because I want to do the same thing--

It won't.
kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Postby billc124 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:14 am

mustangbaby101 wrote:There is a program called tversity you can download at tversity.com. I am currently trying to see if it will work with Roku because I want to do the same thing-- But if you have a ps3 or xbox 360, they have the ability to link with tversity and stream your content on your tv.

I listed the ONLY things the Roku can play. It can't do anything else at the moment. It MIGHT be able to play media from your PC if someone can make it work when the SDK comes out. The easiest thing to do if you really have to have this functionality now is to go with a device that advertises the fact that it supports it. Roku says nowhere on any of their materials that it can do this so I am not sure why people are thinking it does. Is there some mis-information out there?
billc124

Streaming media from PC

Postby MyrtleBeachBears » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:18 pm

I have the new LG BD390 in addition to my Roku. The BD390 wirelessly streams media from my PC using any one of several media servers: Nero, Media Center, TVersity; I had at first thought I'd replace the Roku, but have decided to keep it, even though some services (Netflix) are duplicated. Even though I can stream ANY media from the internet using TVersity, I'm looking forward to what new channels Roku will be adding!
MyrtleBeachBears

Re: Streaming media from PC

Postby opiate » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:14 pm

MyrtleBeachBears wrote: I'm looking forward to what new channels Roku will be adding!

ROKU "IS" adding more channels? When? :o

Just kidding, ROKU stated by end of summer so us ROKU users are going to be having a ROKU "Christmas" in September !!!

WooHOOO Cant wait for the 7 new channels coming out this month (Sept)!!

I'm looking forward to it as well!!

Cheers...

Opi
opiate

Re: Streaming media from PC

Postby philsoft » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:07 pm

opiate wrote:Just kidding, ROKU stated by end of summer so us ROKU users are going to be having a ROKU "Christmas" in September !!!

WooHOOO Cant wait for the 7 new channels coming out this month (Sept)!!
Opi

IIRC they said the channels would be available by the end of the year. They said there would be channels announced by the end of summer, and channels HAVE been announced.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion