Will new CBS Seasons be on Netflix Watch Now?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Will new CBS Seasons be on Netflix Watch Now?

Postby shelleyp » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:02 pm

I know there's another thread about finding new TV seasons, but none of the coming soon sites reference any of the new CBS show seasons.

Anyone know if any of the new CBS seasons will be on Netflix Watch Now?
shelleyp

Postby billc124 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:07 pm

I highly doubt it considering that they are pulling most of the popular shows off of instant watch.

http://screencrave.com/2009-09-07/netfl ... ce-heroes/

I think the studios are going to start focusing on Hulu more. Especially if they launch some kind of subscription like the rumors going around say.
billc124

Postby shelleyp » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:13 pm

billc124 wrote:I highly doubt it considering that they are pulling most of the popular shows off of instant watch.

I think the studios are going to start focusing on Hulu more. Especially if they launch some kind of subscription like the rumors going around say.

I'm not sure CBS shows will end up on Hulu, but there are new sites coming online, including one that was mentioned on CBS (but didn't catch name), not to mention the possibility of selling through AppleTV and Amazon.

Disappointing
shelleyp

Postby billc124 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:15 pm

shelleyp wrote:
billc124 wrote:I highly doubt it considering that they are pulling most of the popular shows off of instant watch.

I'm not sure CBS shows will end up on Hulu, but there are new sites coming online, including one that was mentioned on CBS (but didn't catch name), not to mention the possibility of selling through AppleTV and Amazon.

Disappointing

Oh right. I forgot. CBS owns http://www.tv.com/
billc124

Postby Brad I. » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:20 pm

At least two of the shows mentioned here(30 Rock and Heros) have the new seasons listed as streaming soon. My guess would be the new season will start streaming the day after it airs as soon as the older seasons expire. Several movies disappear from instant viewing availability and return after a while. We can't expect Netflix or the studios would let us "own" all their movies and tv seasons for membership cost. I'm sure some series will not be back, but it looks like we will be getting more new seasons of several shows to watch. Dexter S4 and Californication S3 are now listed as streaming soon too.
Brad I.

Postby lumberjack » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:46 am

The current season of Heroes is up now just two days after it aired. I wonder if the studios would be happy with a system similar to Hulu. Allow new episodes on netflix for 10 days. It would have an advantage over Hulu since it'd be in HD and commercial free. I just wonder how much the studios are earning on Netflix subscriptions vs. Hulu commercials.
lumberjack

Postby billc124 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:17 am

lumberjack wrote:The current season of Heroes is up now just two days after it aired. I wonder if the studios would be happy with a system similar to Hulu. Allow new episodes on netflix for 10 days. It would have an advantage over Hulu since it'd be in HD and commercial free. I just wonder how much the studios are earning on Netflix subscriptions vs. Hulu commercials.

There are rumors of Hulu moving to a subscription model. If that happens I can see more stuff going over to Hulu then Netflix since the studios probably get a good kickback from Hulu.
billc124

Postby lumberjack » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:42 am

I agree that I could see stuff going to Hulu faster but I imagine the studios could get around the same amount for content on Netflix as on a hulu subscription. If a subscription based Hulu happens I'm sure they'd be more willing to allow it on devices like the roku since it would increase subscriptions. Of course Hulu on roku is everyone's on the forums pipe dream.
lumberjack

CBS

Postby jmckenna » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:59 am

It's really a shame that CBS, NBC and ABC are not offering more shows to Netflix streaming. This summer I not only caught up on shows I haven't watched in years (the various L&O's) but also started to watch shows I've never watched (the various CSI's & NCIS). Got me hooked on those shows enough that I started to watch the USA Network and Bravo to watch even more L&O. Both of those networks are owned by NBC/Universal the same company that also produces the show. Watching CSI lead me to watch repeats on Spike which is owned by CBS/Viacom.

They don't have to make the current season available the next day but I think if the Big 3 Networks pull more shows off Netflix and just to ad based websites they'll lose people like me as I just go back to my normal viewing habits. By offering these shows as samplings they got me watching them more than I ever have before. Hulu is great but if I can't watch it on my tv I most likely won't watch it. Something about sitting on a couch with a friend or life partner and watching a show on a tv via Roku is a far better experience than sitting around the lap top.

<The entropy of a perfect crystal, at absolute zero kelvin, is exactly equal to zero. - Third Law of Thermodynamics> I'd watch a commercial here and there like Hulu does on my Roku box. Oh well sorry Big 3 but I may start to just download pirated versions of your content, burn them to dvd and watch them later if you remove content from Netflix. Oh and I'm not going to pay 1.99 an episode on Amazon. Maybe .99 cents or a reasonable season pass but 1.99 an episode for 1 hour of L&O. Umm...nah. Good luck with that IPO NBC/Universal. I bid 5 bucks for you whole studio.
jmckenna

Postby shelleyp » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:55 am

From this article at TechCrunch, it does begin to seem as if all of the networks are looking at more locked in approaches.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/09/24/le ... u-streams/

That doesn't mean that CBS shows won't appear back on Netflix. Perhaps they're waiting to milk as much as they can in other venue, before going for the last drop in Watch Now.
shelleyp

Postby billc124 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:15 am

shelleyp wrote:From this article at TechCrunch, it does begin to seem as if all of the networks are looking at more locked in approaches.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/09/24/le ... u-streams/

That doesn't mean that CBS shows won't appear back on Netflix. Perhaps they're waiting to milk as much as they can in other venue, before going for the last drop in Watch Now.

Yep. I have been saying for quite some time that they way things are going to go with TV is that you will be able to watch all you want online or offline as long as you subscribe to cable. That is what TV Everywhere is. I would wager money that this is what will be the future. If you read Mark Cuban's blog he talks about this all the time too and I agree with him.
billc124

Add based programming on Roku?

Postby caseyd » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:38 pm

I wonder with the SDK if we will some day see programming options that are add/commercial supported? Watching programs on the network web sites usually requires watching some commercials, and, unlike DVRs, the web players are fixed to prevent skipping them. I wonder if CBS/FOX/NBC/WB?/... might some day release on demand channels on the Roku with similar commercials as on their web sites? With account registration, they could even stream local commercials to you.

I suspect one problem might be the same as why regional blackouts are required by satellite/cable companies. The networks rely on revenue from local advertisers to pay for the programming. If a significant (or at least measurable) part of the viewers skip the commercials by going online (or even DVR's), the value of the commercial air time will drop.

It is almost laughable how much hidden/subliminal commercials there are now in movies and TV shows. But, they have to make their money somewhere...
caseyd

Postby lovekeiiy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:52 am

has anyone found or seen anything regarding the new seasons for CBS shows on Netflix? I've tried searching the net, and found nothing. Just old news about there being an agreement. Last season, the shows were up within 24 to 48 hours.

My curiosity is what last years contract/agreement was with CBS?

I was going to write Netflix, but no email address and no way to contact them except by phone.

Although, CBS.com does offer all shows, with feeds upto 1080p. So it's not like they're online adverse. CBS gave Netflix good source material to convert from too.

Otherwise, work with CBS and get a CBS channel.
lovekeiiy

Postby billc124 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:55 am

Did you click the link I posted? They pulled a lot of shows off IW and are not streaming most the day after. CBS.com does not have all shows available for streaming either. Check out The Big Bang Theory as an example. No full episodes from this season just highlights from the premier. CBS is changing their tune about online stuff. I think they are looking for new ways to make money online and are pulling back a bit until they figure something out.

Edit: Whoops, that link was for NBC Shows not CBS I think.

Anyway, I don't think CBS stuff will be on NF, at least not current season stuff after reading this. CBS Interactive head seems to be pulling back on streaming until the figure something out.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/enterta ... -hulu.html
billc124

Postby pawnblue » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 am

Eventually the online viewing market will be large enough that broadcasters will have to address it.

30 Rock is the perfect example. I was willing to try it on instant watch, but never bothered to stick around after the office on Thursday nights. The instant watch made a fan, and now they can get me interested enough to watch on a Thursday.

The networks need to make it convenient too though. If I fall behind, I don't want to have to watch hulu on a laptop to catch up. The networks just lose a viewer.
pawnblue

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion