How do I setup the Roku to use a proxy

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

How do I setup the Roku to use a proxy

Postby chuckhardt » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:54 pm

I have the Roku installed, but it cannot get to the internet. I would guess, that I need to setup a proxy (given that all the other equipment I have uses a proxy). Can't find any user menu to permit this. Any suggestions?
chuckhardt

Re: How do I setup the Roku to use a proxy

Postby kumasuki » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:56 pm

chuckhardt wrote:I have the Roku installed, but it cannot get to the internet. I would guess, that I need to setup a proxy

To obtain an IP address, Roku requires that DHCP be running on your home network - this is typically provided by your router (but there are other ways to have DHCP available)
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Re: How do I setup the Roku to use a proxy

Postby billc124 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:10 pm

chuckhardt wrote:I have the Roku installed, but it cannot get to the internet. I would guess, that I need to setup a proxy (given that all the other equipment I have uses a proxy). Can't find any user menu to permit this. Any suggestions?

Not sure the Roku will work with a proxy server, there is no way to specify one in the box. What are you using a Proxy Server on your home network for? The Roku really only does very basic networking so anything complicated is tough to get working with it.
billc124

Postby ge0ff73 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Roku's don't need a proxy (those mainly grab and cache websites, not streaming). You just need a connection out to the Internet. Make sure you don't have a funky firewall setup that's blocking outbound traffic.

If you happen to have a proxy on your home network...Do you have your firewall only allow outbound traffic from your proxy server? If that's the case, your Roku won't work.
ge0ff73

Postby chuckhardt » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:03 pm

I never said I had a proxy on my home network. The Roku works correctly when using a direct connection to the internet. Unfortunately it seems the Networking setup menu is far to basic to support anything like a proxy.
chuckhardt

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:26 pm

chuckhardt wrote:I never said I had a proxy on my home network. The Roku works correctly when using a direct connection to the internet. Unfortunately it seems the Networking setup menu is far to basic to support anything like a proxy.

You said it didn't work actually. now you say it does.

As others have said it won't accept a proxy, and for good reason. Proxies are good if you are visiting the same pages over and over without them updating or doing something illegal and trying to hide your real address. Neither really work anymore. The day of proxy servers is over.

the roku needs a simple direct connection to assure as few hops between you and the server closest to you. A proxy would be detrimental to that.
mkiker2089

Postby Burkhardi » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:34 am

How are the days of a proxy server over? Business use them all the time and I think it's a also a great solution for keeping your kids on limited access at the house. You can resrict sites and all kinds of goodies!

Back to the post, I assume the questions is from a LAN that has no way out to the internet other then via the proxy. If that is the case, you would have to have an area in the setting menu there you can tell it what your proxy's IP is and what port it's using.

This is a poor example, but if I were to use the N1000 here at work there would be no other way to do so other then putting the proxy's IP into the N1000 along with the port number or slip the IT guy a $100 and get him to setup a special static IP address that can bypass the proxy and then set the N1000 up with that static IP (which I don't think you can do either) unless you edit the ifcfg-eth0 file if it even has that or if you can even get to it)).

just my 2-cents worth and opinion, your milage may vary and I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but I have stated at a Holiday Express once...

mkiker2089 wrote:The day of proxy servers is over.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby billc124 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:54 am

mkiker2089 wrote:The day of proxy servers is over.
[/quote]

The days of using a Proxy server to cache websites is probably not as necessary anymore. In most corporate environments a proxy is used to limit access to specific sites and block others, not really to cache pages locally as much anymore although it is still done. I personally don't see a need for it at home, but there is certainly a place for it in corporate environments and I would be willing to wager that there are more proxy servers in use then one might think.
billc124

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:18 am

Ok, I can see it used as a coorporate filter. IT keeps you from having to put net nanny on every computer. At any rate I still think it would be detrimental to the Netflix service. We have a hard enough time getting the nearest server as it is. Imagine what's going to happen when people use a popular proxy in California for example no matter where they live.

Proxies have changed then, I guess we all see that. They aren't used to cut ISP costs like they used to be and now are mostly for IT control and specialized firewall applications.
mkiker2089

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion