Ruko keeps on losing connection

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Ruko keeps on losing connection

Postby marbleann » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:20 pm

My ruko has been working pretty good. I have a Belkin wireless router, ATT DSL. For some reason even though my wireless is up and running and Ruko scans it Ruko keeps losing connection. It reconnects and it goes out again. Now I can run Ruko for days and this never happens and then all of a sudden it is almost impossible to get through a movie without is losing connection. I also found it works up more in the late hours. But now it is acting up and it is only 6pm. What is going on? Any help will be appreciated. Oh and I am not that computer savvy. :?
marbleann

Postby NearTheSea » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Same for me. Box was having trouble connecting to Netflix the other night, but I thought it was just a temporary problem.

Next time we tried to use it, it froze at the launching home screen message. Power cycling the box or resetting did not get us further. Hard reset (15 sec on reset button) did get us back up and running.

But now when I am trying to view my instant queue on Netflix, I keep getting Internet connection errors. When I click to acknowledge, the connection comes right back. I am using a Wired connection. I've had trouble starting a movie but once started, the movie appears to go.

Not sure what's behind this but thought I'd share I'm starting to see similar behavior.

-- Alex
NearTheSea

Postby marbleann » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:39 pm

How do you a hard reset? I begining to believe it is more Netflix. I was actually thinking of hardwiring the roku to to my modem. But you are hardwired and are still having problems. I am not sure what is happening.
marbleann

Postby goin fishin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:16 am

I'm also having the same problem , i contacted netflix and was told it was a roku box problem , but I'm starting to wonder now seeing all the other complant's popping up , I wrote a description of whats happening to me in the "checking connection " thread I started. As of now I'm waiting to hear back from the roku support people.
goin fishin

Postby mega1026 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:55 am

try switching the u and the o... ok ok, I'm sorry
mega1026

Postby marbleann » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 am

LOL I feel like I am dyslexic. That is not the only times I did that.
marbleann

Postby marbleann » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:59 am

goin fishin wrote:I'm also having the same problem , i contacted netflix and was told it was a roku box problem , but I'm starting to wonder now seeing all the other complant's popping up , I wrote a description of whats happening to me in the "checking connection " thread I started. As of now I'm waiting to hear back from the roku support people.

I am going to check your thread too. I am just not really sure it is roku because before I even got Roku sometimes I would have connection problems. One time I was watching the Six Wives of Henry VIII and one of the episodes would not load. It mentioned it was checking the connection and the quality of the video. There was nothing I could do to get it working. So I called Netflix, the man swore up and down it was a problem on my half. He asked me to do a few things and they did not work. I was persistent. He finally decided to watch the episode himself and guess what there was something wrong with the episode. He was shocked, but very apologetic. Even if you look for help on the Netflix site they tend to put a lot of blame on the connection side and not once on something they might be doing wrong. There might be something wrong with their upload speeds, particularly if a lot of people streaming content. So I feel it is a possibility it could be on Netflix's side and we should not dismiss that as a possibility.
marbleann

Me too....flakey connection

Postby Louvincent » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:09 pm

I'm having the same problems others have described here. These issues have been off and on for the last couple of weeks. Impossible to retrieve instant Netflix queue. Repeated "checking connection" messages and then reconnecting. Complete failure tonight and I was looking forward to the last two chapters of Dexter, Season 2. Bummer!! I've had my Roku working flawlessly (wireless) for about 2 months. In addition to the connection problems I have been noticing some picture distortion issues at the top of the display....example, Doaks' head looks out of shape, Dexter's too. Bummer !!

I have nothing constructive to add to this thread except to say ME TOO !!!

Does Roku read these threads? Is there any Roku connected human that can shed some light on these problems?
Louvincent

Postby mkiker2089 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:16 pm

It's not the Roku no matter what Netflix says. They have idiots working for them. Nice idiots but idiots none the less. I usually don't say things like that, but try explaining to them about movies being in the wrong format and network issues and you'll see what i mean.

Next time this happens when it goes to the set up screen just hit back and go into Amazon. See if a preview plays. If it does then Netflix is down. No need to reset the router since it won't help. You just have to wait. They've been bliping out for a week now.
mkiker2089

Postby billc124 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:21 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:It's not the Roku no matter what Netflix says. They have idiots working for them. Nice idiots but idiots none the less. I usually don't say things like that, but try explaining to them about movies being in the wrong format and network issues and you'll see what i mean.

Next time this happens when it goes to the set up screen just hit back and go into Amazon. See if a preview plays. If it does then Netflix is down. No need to reset the router since it won't help. You just have to wait. They've been bliping out for a week now.

It's not the Roku it's the Ruko ;-)
billc124

Postby marbleann » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:20 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:It's not the Roku no matter what Netflix says. They have idiots working for them. Nice idiots but idiots none the less. I usually don't say things like that, but try explaining to them about movies being in the wrong format and network issues and you'll see what i mean.

I am with you. I have to think Netflix bit off more then it can handle, Sending out DVD's in the mail is a lot easier then having all of those people who use to wait for the DVD's having unlimited access to the same DVD's instantly. I think Roku should be reading these threads because that way they can see how they might be being made into a scapegoat for Netflix problems.. Again I think there should be one topic that we can tell when we are having problems and then we can see if it is Roku or Netflix. I cannot see a bunch of folks having the same exact problems streaming video and it being Roku. My Roku worked out of the box in 5 seconds with no problems. All of a sudden I am having connection problems along with everybody else who is complaining. Nothing has changed I got the same router, modem computer. And I am having problems early in the morning when the least amount of traffic is going on over the modems and routers. Netflix just needs to inform us when they are having problems and that is it Instead of us resetting our networks 20 times and bothering Ruko .A informed customer is a happy customer.
marbleann

Re: Ruko keeps on losing connection

Postby ewilts » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:26 am

marbleann wrote:My ruko has been working pretty good. I have a Belkin wireless router, ATT DSL. For some reason even though my wireless is up and running and Ruko scans it Ruko keeps losing connection. It reconnects and it goes out again. Now I can run Ruko for days and this never happens and then all of a sudden it is almost impossible to get through a movie without is losing connection. I also found it works up more in the late hours. But now it is acting up and it is only 6pm. What is going on? Any help will be appreciated. Oh and I am not that computer savvy. :?

Mine has been acting weird lately too. For months, I could go down to the basement nearly every day (to exercise) and watch Netflix on my Roku box without doing anything special. In the last week or 2, I have lost my network connectivity every day. The Roku box rescans my network, finds my wireless router (Trendnet), reconnects, and plays the show with 4 dots without any issues. Next day the same thing happens.

I'm beginning to think that one of the recent software updates might have broke it but haven't been able to prove it yet. More troubleshooting (by me) is required...
ewilts

Postby marbleann » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:32 am

Is it netflix that is doing the software updates? It seems that way because it looks like when they are down late at night they could be doing maintenance.
marbleann

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion