Use Roku on multiple TVs

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Use Roku on multiple TVs

Postby haysgeoff1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:09 am

Good Morning from beautiful New England. Can I use my Roku on multiple TVs within my secure wireless network?

Thank You!
haysgeoff1

Re: Use Roku on multiple TVs

Postby KennyJ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:32 am

haysgeoff1 wrote:Good Morning from beautiful New England. Can I use my Roku on multiple TVs within my secure wireless network?

Thank You!

Do you mean can you move your Roku and plug it into different TVs? Sure, as long as your Wi-fi signal is available where all your TVs are.

Do you mean can you have multiple Rokus for multiple TVs? Sure, though I do think Netflix requires a certain subscription if you want to stream more than one show at a time.
KennyJ

Postby pjoshua5000 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 am

haysgeoff1 wrote:Good Morning from beautiful New England. Can I use my Roku on multiple TVs within my secure wireless network?

Thank You!

Yes, just unplug it from you currents TV and hook it up to your other TV. However, if you go out of range off your "Secure Wireless Network" you can log into other hot-spots, provide you know the password to log on to those networks. But I think once you do that you lose your password from your current network and have to reenter it. (I'm not sure, maybe someone else can clarified that)
pjoshua5000

Postby kumasuki » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:12 am

haysgeoff1 wrote:Can I use my Roku on multiple TVs within my secure wireless network?

You can also hook up more than one TV to a single Roku (the video signal is active on all output ports simultaneously) - however, the same movie title will stream to whatever TVs are connected (you can't have 2 different titles playing simultaneously).
--------------------------------------
Roku XDS; DSM-520; HDX1000 w/1TB drive; Neuros; Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR; HDHomeRun; Vudu; VuNow HD; Boxee Box
kumasuki

Postby haysgeoff1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:36 am

pjoshua5000 wrote:

Thank You!

Yes, just unplug it from you currents TV and hook it up to your other TV. However, if you go out of range off your "Secure Wireless Network" you can log into other hot-spots, provide you know the password to log on to those networks. But I think once you do that you lose your password from your current network and have to reenter it. (I'm not sure, maybe someone else can clarified that)

Thanks!
haysgeoff1

Postby haysgeoff1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:37 am

pjoshua5000 wrote:

Thank You!

Thanks!
haysgeoff1

Postby Mark12547 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:40 pm

pjoshua5000 wrote:Yes, just unplug it from you currents TV and hook it up to your other TV. However, if you go out of range off your "Secure Wireless Network" you can log into other hot-spots, provide you know the password to log on to those networks. ...

Another possible issue is the display setting. The display setting may have to be revisited when moving from one TV to another. For example, if the display type is set for "HDTV" (720p) but the TV it is being moved to doesn't support 720p on either the HDMI or component ports but you are using one of those for the video you are moving the box to, you will have to change the "Display Type" on the Roku box before you move the box.
Mark12547

16x9 and 4x3 output?

Postby beaveyOne » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:49 pm

That brings up an interesting thought... I can I have my HDTV plugged in with the component cables at 16x9 resolution, and then still plug in an older 4x3 console TV? Through yellow RCA cable or an S-video cable? What would happen?

I have a TV in my basement almost directly underneath the TV I normally use with the Roku, and I could easily run a cable. Anyone tried this?
beaveyOne

Re: 16x9 and 4x3 output?

Postby billc124 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:50 pm

beaveyOne wrote:That brings up an interesting thought... I can I have my HDTV plugged in with the component cables at 16x9 resolution, and then still plug in an older 4x3 console TV? Through yellow RCA cable or an S-video cable? What would happen?

I have a TV in my basement almost directly underneath the TV I normally use with the Roku, and I could easily run a cable. Anyone tried this?

The box sends the signal out all the outputs at once, so your video would show on both TVs at the same time.
billc124

Postby beaveyOne » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:55 pm

billc124 wrote:The box sends the signal out all the outputs at once, so your video would show on both TVs at the same time.

I understand that, but what would it look like on the 4x3 television? Would it be letterboxed, or stretched, or just unusable? That's my question.
beaveyOne

Postby billc124 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:15 pm

beaveyOne wrote:
billc124 wrote:The box sends the signal out all the outputs at once, so your video would show on both TVs at the same time.

I understand that, but what would it look like on the 4x3 television? Would it be letterboxed, or stretched, or just unusable? That's my question.

When I hook mine up to my old 4X3 TV in my bedroom sometimes it is fine. Letterboxed generally. Some are 4X3 but most stuff is letterboxed.
billc124

Postby beaveyOne » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:31 pm

But has anyone hooked up the Roku so the component cables are going to a 16x9 HDTV, the composite cables are going to a 4x3 console TV, and the Roku is in HDTV mode? If you do that, what does it look like on the 4x3 television?

I understand that you can move it from TV to TV and change the video mode as necessary, but I'm more interested in what it looks like if both televisions are being watched at the same time.

If nobody has tried this, then I'll give it a go next time I have a little time to spare. I'm curious enough to try it and see!
beaveyOne

Postby billc124 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:34 pm

beaveyOne wrote:But has anyone hooked up the Roku so the component cables are going to a 16x9 HDTV, the composite cables are going to a 4x3 console TV, and the Roku is in HDTV mode? If you do that, what does it look like on the 4x3 television?

I understand that you can move it from TV to TV and change the video mode as necessary, but I'm more interested in what it looks like if both televisions are being watched at the same time.

If nobody has tried this, then I'll give it a go next time I have a little time to spare. I'm curious enough to try it and see!

No, I have only moved mine back and forth. I forgot about having to switch modes. I would say if it is in 16X9 mode you will get letterboxing possibly on all sides. Not sure though.
billc124

Postby ynotbor » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:08 am

But has anyone hooked up the Roku so the component cables are going to a 16x9 HDTV, the composite cables are going to a 4x3 console TV, and the Roku is in HDTV mode? If you do that, what does it look like on the 4x3 television?

I currently have the Roku connected with an HDMI cable and am running the composite cables through an RF modulator to connect a SD TV in another room via coax. I have the Roku set for HDTV and most things I stream from Netflix or Amazon show as full screen on my SD TV. I noticed a Robert Earl Keen concert that isn't formatted correctly on either TV. My thought is that the composite connection is always putting out a 4:3 picture even if the player is set to display HDTV.
Equipment:
Directv TiVo R10, HDVR2
Directv DVR R15, HR22
3 Stand Alone TiVos
WD HDTV
and the Roku has been getting the most use.
ynotbor

Postby philsoft » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:21 am

ynotbor wrote:

I currently have the Roku connected with an HDMI cable and am running the composite cables through an RF modulator to connect a SD TV in another room via coax. I have the Roku set for HDTV and most things I stream from Netflix or Amazon show as full screen on my SD TV. I noticed a Robert Earl Keen concert that isn't formatted correctly on either TV. My thought is that the composite connection is always putting out a 4:3 picture even if the player is set to display HDTV.

Yup, I have HDMI hooked to HDTV in living room, and Composite hooked to SDTV (I have SDTV in bedroom right on the other side of the wall). The Roku apparently downconverts the signal to the composite connection, because HD movies and shows play fine on the SDTV.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion