DSL, Roku, No Router, No WiFi --> No Netflix on Televison

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

DSL, Roku, No Router, No WiFi --> No Netflix on Televison

Postby wanderingcowgirl » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:11 am

Is a WiFi setup or a router necessary for successful use of the Roku box? My new box arrived Tuesday. Immediately, the 3-minute setup time became 3 hours.

Reading the forums, I kept my DSL cord in the Roku box while I used dial-up to enter the confirmation code. Bingo! I was able to watch one Netflix movie on television.

Last night, I turned on the Roku box and could not connect with Netflix. The "accessing your instant queue" ran for 15 minutes and continued to spin even after I disconnected the DSL cord.

I reset the Roku box - no luck.

I attempted to reset the facotry setup so that I could obtain another Netflix link code to enter on my dialup computer whle the Roku box was connected by DSL.

I never could get a new code. Also, the television display stated that the DSL connection was dead which was not true.

Nowhere in the Roku ads was it stated that a router or WiFi was required for Roku success. If I had known, I would not have to endure the hassle of returning the box.

If you have any ideas - if you know how to make the Roku box work with DSL wired and no router and no WiFi, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Cowgirl
wanderingcowgirl

Postby robertm » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:34 am

Someone else might be able to help you with getting it to work the exact way you want but I just checked Amazon and you can get a used DSL router for under $20. This would give you a connection for your computer and your Roku box and it would be a little safer for your computer because you would no longer have a public IP address.
robertm

Postby dnelms » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:55 am

I may not be 100% correct, but if you intend to use a computer and the Roku at the same time, then yes you'll need a router to hand out the IP's via DHCP. That said, I did take my Roku on vacation and hooked the cable modem at the place we were staying directly to the Roku. Worked fine.

One question, when you did the setup, you did select wired instaead of wireless, correct?

Maybe if give us a run down of what you have (ie DSL modem, computers, etc) and how you have them hooked up, we might be able to help.
dnelms

Postby jeffrok » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:59 am

just repeating what's already been said, but unless your DSL modem has a built-in router, you need a DSL router to get DHCP addresses for your Roku.. It doesn't need to be wifi, but you might as well go that route.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: DSL, Roku, No Router, No WiFi --> No Netflix on Telev

Postby Burkhardi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:26 am

wanderingcowgirl wrote:Is a WiFi setup or a router necessary for successful use of the Roku box? My new box arrived Tuesday. Immediately, the 3-minute setup time became 3 hours.

Reading the forums, I kept my DSL cord in the Roku box while I used dial-up to enter the confirmation code. Bingo! I was able to watch one Netflix movie on television.

Last night, I turned on the Roku box and could not connect with Netflix. The "accessing your instant queue" ran for 15 minutes and continued to spin even after I disconnected the DSL cord.

I reset the Roku box - no luck.

I attempted to reset the facotry setup so that I could obtain another Netflix link code to enter on my dialup computer whle the Roku box was connected by DSL.

I never could get a new code. Also, the television display stated that the DSL connection was dead which was not true.

Nowhere in the Roku ads was it stated that a router or WiFi was required for Roku success. If I had known, I would not have to endure the hassle of returning the box.

If you have any ideas - if you know how to make the Roku box work with DSL wired and no router and no WiFi, I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks.

Cowgirl

I understand your fustration but it will work if you plug the Roku Netflix box into your DSL modem and then reboot both of them (by unplugging the power to both then plugging it back it) never use the "reset" button on your modem or router (if you had one) becasue that will put it back to factory defaults and you will loose your login name and password)).

So you do not need a router or wirelss to use this as you yourself found out since you watched one NetFlix movie already.

The only caveat is you would have to do this anytime you wanted to change from using the netflix box to using the computer. Plus the DSL modem can time out and loose the connection if there has been no activity for a while. A router that can support a DSL connection can keep you logged in 24/7 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

A poor example is if you only had one electrical outlet on the wall and you had your TV plugged into the top part of that outlet and a VCR in bottom and you bought a DVD player that "works with any TV". You could not use the DVD player unless you unplugged the VCR and plug the DVD into the outlet plug hole that the VCR was in. Then if you wanted to use the VCR you would have to unplug the DVD and then plug the VCR back in. That would be a total pain, so you would then get a power strip (the thing you plug into an outlet and lets you plug many things into it.)

Same with anything that uses the internet. The DSL modem lets you use one thing and if you want to use more then one without going through the hastle of plugging and unplugging then you need a "router".

you can get a normal router or one with a built in wireless. Then you could use up to 4 wired devices (sometiems 8) and a bunch of wireless devices at the same time.

I would get the Linksys WRT54G2 and you get it for about $49 in most cases. Then you could coonect your computer and the Roku box to the interent, also when anyone comes to your house the can get an internet connection too and if you have any other computers or laptops in the house your can use them with the internet or what have you (more netflix boxes, game consoles, etc).

The internet and how to connect to it is still not common knowlege to most, since you just don't plug stuff in and the power stip for the internet (rotuer) cost way more then a real power strip...LOL

last caveat: You will have to put your DSL modem into "bridge mode' for this to work and you can call Linksys tech support once you get the WRT54GS and they can walk you though it. They did it for my dad (he is 3hrs away, so I could not make it down fast enought to help him). Also you will need to know the LOGIN NAME and PASSWORD for your DSL account.

I hope this is semi-helpful, Matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Postby kc8pql » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:43 am

Just one question. What is the brand and model number of your DSL modem? I find it odd that your ISP would provide you with a modem but no router. Is it possible that you have a single port DSL modem/router combo? If that's the case, you may only need to add a switch. That's the way mine is.
kc8pql

More Information and Thanks

Postby wanderingcowgirl » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Here are answers to questions posed:

1) Modem: VisionNet E200ER ADSL with 4 ports --> Power, LAN, Swapper, and Line

2) I do not want to be online with my computer and Roku simultaneously. During the setup procedure, on screen instructions directed me to go online with my computer and enter the Netflix activation code at the same time that the Roku box was online awaiting what I assume is some sort of linking or synchronization.

My wired DSL modem (ISP: Earthlink) does not allow two devices to access the Internet simultaneously. Therefore, I had to use dial-up to access the Netflix-Roku activation site.

That was the only occasion on which I was able to connect to Netflix via Roku.

3) During setup of the Roku, I did click on "wired."

4) The DSL modem is connected to the telephone line. The Roku box is connected directly to the DSL modem. These two devices have electrical plugs inserted into different outlets in different rooms.

5) All I want is to get the Roku box to connect with my long standing Netflix account so that I can watch Netflix videos on my television. At this juncture, I am trying to get Netflix and Roku to gee-haw on my television with my wired DSL connection.

6) Current Status:

I reset the Roku box and also clicked on the factory reset on the screen menu. In doing so, I may have lost my link (activation) with Netflix. My reason for doing so was to obtain a new Netflix activation code to enter to re-establish a connection between Roku and Netflix. The Roku on screen menu did not offer a new activation code.

At this point, Roku is "spinning the wheel" looking for my Netflix "instant watch queue" or telling me that my ethernet connection has been lost (although the modem shows to be fully functioning). I get inconsistent results for the same physical setup procedures.

7) Again, thanks for your suggestions and kindness. Please post any others that you have. The one time I was able to watch a Netflix movie on my television, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
wanderingcowgirl

Postby philsoft » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:48 pm

What speed is your internet service?
philsoft

Postby Burkhardi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:19 pm

If you have a router installed, then EarthLink will see all your stuff as one device. On the EarthLinks side of the router everything would apear to EarthLink as one connected device (computer if you will) and on your side of the router you can have what ever you want.
You might have to clone your MAC address for this to work. Also, does EarthLink only let known devices on their network? If so, that is antoher reason to use a Router and it can clone the computers MAC address.
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku
Burkhardi

Re: DSL

Postby philsoft » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:49 pm

mommom wrote:If you are using the same phone line for dialup and DSL at the same time,I think that could be a problem.I have a dedicated DSL line that is only DSL,no phone ,and have no problems,its better than cable. But I cannot imagine how the DSL and dial up could work at the same time.

You can use DSL and dial up at the same time. They use different areas of the bandwidth.
philsoft

Postby wideasleep1 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Since the NP requires a dhcp-leased address, it would be best to simply get a router and network the NP, as it was designed. See the Networking 101 thread for more details, if networking isn't your strength. We're here to help if you run into snags. G'Luck!
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!
wideasleep1

Re: More Information and Thanks

Postby robertm » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:09 pm

wanderingcowgirl wrote:My wired DSL modem (ISP: Earthlink) does not allow two devices to access the Internet simultaneously. Therefore, I had to use dial-up to access the Netflix-Roku activation site.

I think you mean they don't provide the ability with the modem not that it is against their terms of usage somehow.

This directly from the earthlink site:

You'll get the same kind of time-saving benefit downloading music or software, doing online research or shopping, and more. You'll also have a much better experience watching online video and playing online games. Plus, you'll be able to do things like set up a home network to share one high-speed connection on all your computers use Internet-powered home phone services like Vonage or Skype to save money.

If it is a money thing I understand but as I mentioned there were several used routers on Amazon for under 20 bucks. Just find one from a seller with a good reputation. Most of the time, for simple applications, you will never need technical support. You can even ask some of the people here if they are familiar with one of the used ones you might be considering to see how they might have liked it.

I understand that you may not feel you have the need to have a shared connection but having a public IP address (computer plugged directly into the DSL modem) puts you at higher risk for intrusion. A router becomes a buffer between you and a good deal of the idiots. It does not take away all the risk but it makes it harder. Think of a router as a public liason. It talks to the public while your internal devices talk amongst themselves and when needed they talk through the liason to outer public. The general public doesn't see your computers they only see the router.
robertm

Re: oops

Postby Burkhardi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:21 am

mommom wrote:Had no idea you could use dial up and Dsl at the same time!!Told you I am a clueless granny!!

I still think she will need to get a connection to get a new code,am I correct?

Is there a chance her IP is throttling the srvice to the point she cannot connect? I went through that with my cable company,that is why I have DSL now,but some Dsl companies do the same.Perhaps the one movie she watched alerted them to her usage,could 1 movie have put OP over her "cap" for the month?

She needs a router...spend the $49 and be done with it...
Burkhardi

Update: 1 DSL Modem, 1 Roku, and Netflix

Postby wanderingcowgirl » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Thank you for your time and cognition in trouble-shooting my connection issues.

I see clearly that I should purchase a router and will do so. (The Roku on screen program is always looking for my local area network.) Any suggestions of brand name will be appreciated. Netgear is one I have often heard.

I appreciate the offers of networking help in the Networking 101 section of this site.

When I do "router up," I wonder if I will have to "factory reset" and obtain yet another authentication code from Netflix.

Indeed, it is possible to talk on a landline phone and simultaneously use the Internet via the same phone line. As stated, the telephone uses lower bands for operation and the computer uses upper bands for DSL. Small external filters must be attached on the telephone line for use of the landline phone.

My Earthlink aDSL speed is up to 1.5Mbps, incoming. It clocked at 1.3Mbps when I tested it. It is sufficient to yield 3 of 4 "circles" on the Netflix video image quality indicator.

About Last Night
-------------------

Last night, I connected the Roku box, modem, and ethernet cord and had another "go" at connecting to Netflix for video viewing on my television. Having clicked the factory reset option the night before, I knew I needed a new confirmation code.

In attempting to complete the on screen setup, I encountered various "error" messages such as "Cannot Connect to Internet" and Ethernet Connection Detected."

I powered both the DSL modem and the Roku box off and off in a willy-nilly fashion while clicking on the on screen "connect." After 20 minutes of this, suddenly the Roku captured a connection, and Netflix appeared. I was able to secure a new authentication code and entered it via dial-up while the DSL powered Roku setup waited. Once the code was entered, I was able to see my "instant viewing" queue and all was fine beyond that point. When the Roku and DSL and Netflix gee-haw, great viewing can be had.

I have not attempted to connect to Netflix via Roku today. I anticipate that I will encounter the same scenario of false starts and repeated connection attempts. I will post here what happens for the benefit of myself and others who may have a similar problem.

Am I correct in assuming that with a router I will not encounter this connection resistance?

Again, thanks so much for your ideas and suggestions. I will router shop within the next day or two. For reasons several of you have stated, I should have already gone wireless.

Wandering Cowgirl
wanderingcowgirl

Re: Update: 1 DSL Modem, 1 Roku, and Netflix

Postby kc8pql » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:54 pm

wanderingcowgirl wrote:

My Earthlink aDSL speed is up to 1.5Mbps, incoming. It clocked at 1.3Mbps when I tested it. It is sufficient to yield 3 of 4 "circles" on the Netflix video image quality indicator.

Your connection should be fast enough to give you the 3 dot stream most of the time. You'll need 3Mbps service to consistently get the 4 dot stream.
kc8pql

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion