routing roku through deneon a/v receiver

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

routing roku through deneon a/v receiver

Postby pwhite52 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:17 am

I want to route the roku xr through my denon 2808 receiver. The problem is I have used all the available HDMI ports. Can I use an HDMI splitter and share one of the ports? I am thinking of using the current DVD player port since I wouldn't have the dvd player powered on when I use the roku. My HD monitor is a Panasonic plasma but it doesnt have any speakers attached as all sound is managed by the a/v receiver. To complicate matters further, all equipment (receiver, dvd player, and hd satellite receiver) are in a separate room and I control everything through a Logitech Harmony RF remote. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
pwhite52

Re: routing roku through deneon a/v receiver

Postby billc124 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:21 am

pwhite52 wrote:I want to route the roku xr through my denon 2808 receiver. The problem is I have used all the available HDMI ports. Can I use an HDMI splitter and share one of the ports? I am thinking of using the current DVD player port since I wouldn't have the dvd player powered on when I use the roku. My HD monitor is a Panasonic plasma but it doesnt have any speakers attached as all sound is managed by the a/v receiver. To complicate matters further, all equipment (receiver, dvd player, and hd satellite receiver) are in a separate room and I control everything through a Logitech Harmony RF remote. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That could probably work, but HDMI switchers often cause problems with the handshake between the components and the TV. If you can use the component cables, you won't notice much of a difference in quality between them and HDMI. Many of us have done comparisons to see if there is a quality difference, I haven't noticed one.
billc124

Postby jcmolet » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:27 am

I recommend the Oppo HM-31 if you want to use an HDMI switch. I use it in two different rooms with different types of equipment (Roku, AppleTV, Onkyo Receiver, PopcornHour, PS3, Samusng BD-DVD and I have never had one problem.
jcmolet

Postby elorimer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:21 am

Since you have a Harmony remote, you could consider doing some of the switching at the TV itself, instead of all at the Denon. So, for example, if you have a connection from the TV audio out to the Denon, you could put that to one of the audio-only connections, like CD. Then connect the Roku to one of the TV inputs--say HDMI2 or some such. Then, to play the Roku, you would switch the TV to HDMI2, and the Denon to CD. That won't give you AOD 5.1.

Or, you could connect the Roku video to the TV, and the Roku audio to an unused plug on the Denon. You could get AOD 5.1 that way.
elorimer

Postby mspinar » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:28 am

I am running my Roku XR box thru a Yamaha A/V receiver and was also having problems since I was out of HDMI connections on the A/V (2 in/ 1 out). I tried using the DVD inputs on the A/V with component cables and an optical audio cable unsuccessfully. I then used the DTV set of inputs and optical audio and it worked perfectly. Also using Harmony 880 remote and have a BD player on one of my HDMI inputs, Cable box on the other. The problem seemed to be not being able to run two different devices thru the 'DVD' source on the A/V box. Once I separated them into BD on the "DVD" and Roku on the "DTV" sources-all went perfectly.
mspinar

Postby philsoft » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:06 pm

I use an HDMI switch that I got at Amazon for something like 20 bucks...
Well I just looked and apparently I got it on sale. It is about 30 bucks right now, but it is an autoswitch with an IR remote, and IR sensor. I can't say it will work for every configuration. As much as I wish I did :) I don't get to have every configuration (something about being married).

Anyway, I am starting to ramble. The HDMI switch just works for me, and it passes DTS HD MA and Dolby TruHD and 1080p signals perfectly. Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015YWKYY/ref=oss_T15_product
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby elorimer » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:50 pm

mspinar wrote:I am running my Roku XR box thru a Yamaha A/V receiver and was also having problems since I was out of HDMI connections on the A/V (2 in/ 1 out). I tried using the DVD inputs on the A/V with component cables and an optical audio cable unsuccessfully. I then used the DTV set of inputs and optical audio and it worked perfectly. Also using Harmony 880 remote and have a BD player on one of my HDMI inputs, Cable box on the other. The problem seemed to be not being able to run two different devices thru the 'DVD' source on the A/V box. Once I separated them into BD on the "DVD" and Roku on the "DTV" sources-all went perfectly.

A/V receivers (I think always) only allow one source. If you plug in a composite cable and an SVideo cable, they will autoselect the SVideo. If you want to use either a Component (R/B/Y) connection or an HDMI connection for that source, you have to assign that connection to that source somewhere in the setup screens. You can't assign both to the same source. Same with digital audio. Sometimes you do not have complete freedom.
elorimer

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion