Who wants a web browser on the Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Would you like to surf the web on the Roku?

Yeah, it'd be cool.
66%
Just another channel i'd never check out....
34%

Total votes : 149

Who wants a web browser on the Roku?

Postby Crow550 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:19 am

A light weight browser made by Mozilla or Opera that displays simple pages?

It might be able to handle light flash or java scripts.....

Would you want a light browser to check some message boards or the latest tech news?

It could handle a small mobile type browser.... It would like having web tv.... Or something..... It could access light mobile style web pages....

I think it would be cool....

E-mail clients and such well save for another thread. This is strictly for a web browser.
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **

Postby billc124 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:53 am

It can't do that. Not enough memory in the box. If you want a browser, get a Boxee Box when it comes out. It will play basically any web video and the remote have a full keyboard on it.
billc124

Postby KennyJ » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:56 am

I voted no, just because I'm almost certain it's impossible. It would also be hard to surf. That's why boxee's new remote is killer for couch web-surfing.
KennyJ

Postby QuantumIguana » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 am

The Roku box could support a web browser, but it would have to be very barebones. Flash or Java would be out of the question. Navigation would be weak, you'ld have to tab through the page. I can't see it having much utility, but if someone makes one, I might find some use for it.
QuantumIguana

Postby jcmolet » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Even if it could support a browser, I think it would be a terrible idea. For me, I am looking for a box that helps in replacing cable/satellite. That boils down to content, content and more content. The Roku idea of bringing "channels" to the box is great. I want to turn it on and simply select a given channel and its relevant content. If I want to surf the web, I will sit down at a computer.
jcmolet

Postby moviegeek65 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:00 pm

I don't need a browser on my Roku, I have a laptop for that. :wink:
Last edited by moviegeek65 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moviegeek65

Postby -LD » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:00 pm

WebTV FAIL
-LD

Postby robertm » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:12 pm

The wii has a browser. So far I used it once for the novelty. On my big screen I have a computer attached and I do use the browser pretty regularly but I have a Dinova Edge keyboard so surfing is a breeze.
robertm

Would be good for...

Postby jnuneznj » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:57 pm

A web browser like Opera Mini would be great for using the Roku at a hotel room. Was hoping to use this without having to bring my laptop. During my last trip I was able to connect my Macbook and then run a proxy to allow my Roku to route request through it. It worked but Laptop went to sleep and lost my signal... too tired to get up and restart everything.
jnuneznj

Postby mkiker2089 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Browsers are over rated on devices. You won't get quality anything and just take up valuable resources. Skip it.

Besides, have you looked up the specs on the Roku? It's very specialized hardware for video streaming. You could just as easily browse the web on your coffee maker.
mkiker2089

Postby QuantumIguana » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 am

I've used the web on computers that were far, far less powerful than the Roku box. It has more than enough power to do a barebones version of the web with no plug-ins. It's just a question of whether people will find that useful. I might use it a bit to look something up, but probably not much significant use. But it wouldn't consume resources if it wasn't used, it would just be a channel. It could consume Roku's time, and that isn't worthwhile. But if someone wants to create a browser on their own, and Roku wants to throw it in the channel store, no harm there. Of course, if they added a barebones browser, people would complain that it wasn't powerful enough, and would demand it do more and more and more.
QuantumIguana

Postby -LD » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:35 am

What computer is less powerful than the Roku? The Roku has a great chip to decode video and audio, but that's not general computing like web surfing.
-LD

Postby mkiker2089 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:28 am

QuantumIguana wrote:I've used the web on computers that were far, far less powerful than the Roku box. .

No, you haven't. The roku has a CPU straight out of the 80's. The perceived power is in it's GPU, which does video encoding nativity. It's hardware versus software where most computers use software and are therefore more flexible.

Think of it like this, a stove gets hot and can heat anything. A coffee maker gets warm but heats the coffee as it brews and over time on the pot. You can make heat coffee on the stove but you can't cook eggs on a coffee maker. The Roku is the coffee maker, it does a better job at what it was designed to do but has to stay specialized in the process.
mkiker2089

Postby -LD » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:46 am

I am going to try to make egss in my coffee maker now! :)
-LD

Postby jeffrok » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:01 am

I voted YES initially to this, but after some thought I decided no, I do not want a browser on the Roku..

Why? Because what limited permanent storage this device has on it needs to be saved for channels and buffering, not a browser.

If there were a browser added, it'd be so limited that you'd never use it anyway, so why bother? And if it were more robust, it'd eat up too much valuable space.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion