Remote Control Code Number

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Remote Control Code Number

Postby rcalzadilla » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

I have a programmable remote control.
Does the Roku remote control have a code which I can use to imput to my programmable?
Roku Since 12/24/08, Ver 1.5 Build 909
Wired Ethernet Cable: Router to Roku
Cable Modem RCA Model DCM 425
Linksys Router WRT54G Ver 2.1,
Comcast Cable Broadband: 6Mbs, -+10dB
LCD HDTV 46" Samsung LN461550PFX2A
rcalzadilla

Postby KennyJ » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I believe it would already need to be in your Remote's database to work. I only know of one of Logitech Harmony remotes supporting Roku out of the box.

If your remote is a learning remote, you can teach it the Roku's buttons. That's what I did.
KennyJ

Postby philsoft » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:34 pm

That would be up to the manufacturer of the remote. The Logitech Harmony remotes have the DVP in their database. The Roku DVP N1100 is what you are looking for. There are other models, but I think the remotes are the same anyway.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby rcalzadilla » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:43 pm

My remote has to be programmed with the code for each DVD/CD player, Cable Box, Satelite Box, etc. It came with a Sony Receiver Amplifier model STR-DH800, it comes with a long list of codes but not for Roku device.
It is a fairly new model.

Any help would be appreciated.
Roku Since 12/24/08, Ver 1.5 Build 909
Wired Ethernet Cable: Router to Roku
Cable Modem RCA Model DCM 425
Linksys Router WRT54G Ver 2.1,
Comcast Cable Broadband: 6Mbs, -+10dB
LCD HDTV 46" Samsung LN461550PFX2A
rcalzadilla

Re: Remote Control Code Number

Postby jcmolet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:51 pm

rcalzadilla wrote:I have a programmable remote control.
Does the Roku remote control have a code which I can use to imput to my programmable?

I have searched extensivley for the code myself, to no avail. I have a Samsung remote that supports STBs (no Roku listing of course) and I would love it if that remote could support my DVP. If you are able to dig up a code, please share in this forum.
jcmolet

Postby ppj » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:59 pm

In the Logitech Software: Under Device category-> Video Recorder -> PVR -> Roku -> N1000
Or the another way to add Roku DVP
Device -> Cable/Satellite Box -> Digital Set Top Box -> Roku -> N1000
Give it a Shot :)
ppj

Postby jcmolet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:35 pm

ppj wrote:In the Logitech Software: Under Device category-> Video Recorder -> PVR -> Roku -> N1000
Or the another way to add Roku DVP
Device -> Cable/Satellite Box -> Digital Set Top Box -> Roku -> N1000
Give it a Shot :)

It is understood how to add a Roku DVP to a Harmony remote. I have three myself and I have the Roku DVP set up in each. As I understand it, what he is looking for - and definitely what I am looking for - is a way to program another remote (non-learning) to support the Roku DVP. A lot of remotes (for Samsung televisions in my case) can support other devices. A list of codes (typically 3 or 4 numbers) is often included as part of the documentation. Unfortunately, there is no listed code for the Roku DVP.
jcmolet

Postby elorimer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:07 pm

I haven't come across a remote that has a Roku DVP code in it. Common protocol but unique code. Not saying there isn't one out there.

The choices are still learning remote, Harmony remote or JP1
elorimer

Postby Gilgamesh » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:21 pm

The best, and often the only, way to find the code number for a device for a given remote is to contact the manufacture of the remote.

That is often more difficult than expected as many remotes are manufactured by a different company than the device itself or the manufacturer simply buys the pre-programed remote guts and builds a case for it and uses a "programmer" and the device to the pre-programmed database.

So start with the manufacturer and go from there.

There is a class of remotes called "JP1 capable" that are able to be programmed from a computer but that is more difficult than just putting in a code or setting it up from an online database (Like the Harmony series), or even learning from the original remote.

The only remotes that are mostly future proof are the Harmonys and the few others that are programmed from an online database. This means that when a new device comes out it can be added to all the database which makes it available to all users of the given remote.

Given the speed at which new remote controlled devices are hitting the market the only model that makes sense is the online database.

I strongly recommend that anyone with anything more than a basic setup that wants a universal remote get a remote that is in that class so that they are prepared for the future and not locked into the tiny subset of devices that come with most remotes.
Gilgamesh

Postby elorimer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:29 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:The only remotes that are mostly future proof are the Harmonys

Them's fightin' words. :twisted:
elorimer

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion