Mediafly to stream your own music collection?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuKen

Postby umbighouse » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:41 pm

el.wubo-

Reloading everything with that current version did the trick. UP arrow works fine now, and no hangs. I can navigate UP and back DOWN into folders and play all songs. Album artwork works fine too.

Thanks for persevering.
umbighouse

Postby el.wubo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:03 pm

Glad to hear it. Thank you for persevering as well.
el.wubo

Postby wizzy1291 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 pm

This is awesome. Thanks. I have been desperate for this feature.

One point that might be really obvious to everyone else (but wasn't to me): the client does not play WMA format files. It plays MP3s great. If you are trying to play a WMA file you will get a never ending "retrieving..." message.

Really the only must have feature that current version doesn't have would be a pause (and maybe ff and rw if I am feeling greedy).

I am definitely buying another player now that this feature has been added. Roku should give you a kickback!
wizzy1291

Postby calicommando » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:56 pm

I haven't read through all 10 pages, but is this an easy thing for anyone to install, or is it for someone with some programming know-how? Is there a post in this thread where the process of installation is explained?
calicommando

Postby el.wubo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:45 am

Everything you need to get started should be in the readme that's included with the channel / server here.

http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server

In my opinion the install procedure is pretty simple. The hardest thing you have to do is put the Roku into development mode. Others can comment if their experiences have been different.

Follow those instructions and come back here if you have any questions. Also, ask questions if the readme is unclear and do my best to improve it so others can install using that as their primary guide.
el.wubo

Postby DeftOne » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:05 am

The installation of the channel is a breeze with the installer that el.wubo has included. I'd say just about anyone should be able to get it setup. Other than knowing how to get your Roku into development mode (see SDK documentation), you'll need to know how to open ports in your firewall, if you're using one, in order for it to work.
DeftOne

Postby el.wubo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 am

New update:

* wma support (thanks for suggesting it wizzy1291)
* new home screen logo (thank you for creating it umbighouse)

This is a client and server update so fetch a fresh zip and make sure you re-run the client install from springboard

Thanks all!
el.wubo

Postby wizzy1291 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:28 am

You definitely do not need to be a programmer to set this up. Although it is just a little bit more involved than a typical set up as describe above.

(And getting the device into developer mode is not very hard. It just involves entering one of the "up, up, down, down," type of codes you used to use back in the day to get unlimited lives in Super Mario Brothers.)

The following was posted before I read about WMA support, but some might find it useful anyway.

For anyone stuck with some WMA content, I found a freeware batch converter that seems to work well. (Although you still have to convert folder by folder, you don't have to convert song by song.)

http://winff.org/html_new/downloads.html
wizzy1291

Postby KennyJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:53 am

I didn't care THAT much about getting this to work, but I agree with wizzy. I'm pretty computer literate, but I tried to get this thing going using the instructions and got stuck.

But I also didn't try hard to troubleshoot. I'll just wait for a simpler solution later.
KennyJ

Postby el.wubo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:04 am

I'm happy to help if you can describe your problem a bit. It's fine if you don't want to work on this anymore -- I totally understand. Only put as much effort into this as you think is reasonable.

These are the steps I would think through in troubleshooting a typical install. These are outlined in more detail in the latest version of the readme:

* Were you able to launch springboard and configure things for your set up?
* Could you get the Roku into dev mode?
* Did the Client Install work (and add a channel to your Roku)?
* Can you get to your server feed at http://localhost:8001/feed ?

By my count we have 5 successful installs since Tuesday. I'm pretty excited that others have installed this and found it useful.
el.wubo

Postby KennyJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 am

I wondering... Seeing that this has nothing to do with Mediafly, should it maybe be moved to a new thread?
KennyJ

Postby el.wubo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 am

I agree.

Anyone have a catchy and descriptive name suggestion for this channel so that we can name the new thread appropriately?
el.wubo

Postby KennyJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:37 am

Stream your music collection with El Wubo!

:)
KennyJ

Postby wizzy1291 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 am

I agree that "El Wubo Channel" is an appropriate and snappy name---presuming you are not too modest to get a little credit for your great work.

BTW, I still have to confirm that WMA files will play with the new updates. I had to scoot to work before I could try it out. I will give an update tonight.
wizzy1291

Postby el.wubo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:24 am

Haha, thanks all.

Catchy as it is, it's not very discoverable. "El wubo" isn't the first thing that pops into my head when I go googling for a music player for my Roku.

umbighouse just dropped a bunch of really great icon and theming on the channel and he's been going with the "My Music" name. Since that has traction (in the form of great artwork) let's start with that.

"My Music - Stream your local music collection to your Roku DVP" is the new thread I'll be starting.

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?p=159538

Let's migrate our discussion of the My Music player/server to the new thread to prevent it from being confused with the original Mediafly efforts.
el.wubo

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion