Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wizzy1291
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Here's another point that might be obvious to many if not most (but wasn't instantly obvious to me), but if you are running the media server on your PC, you should probably assign that PC a static IP address.
0 Kudos
nrao1
Visitor

Think I did something wrong right of the bat. 😕

Followed the troubleshooting tips and I can't get to http://localhost:8001/feed. I do see a Tk window with a big button saying “Stop Server.â€
0 Kudos
wizzy1291
Visitor

Quirk report:

The client cannot handle non-standard english characters. So if you are trying to open a folder with (for example) an album with Spanish language songs with accents and special characters you will not be able to open the folder. Also, if you are trying to access an artist folder with a special character (like, I'm guessing Mötley Crüe) you will not be able to even access the artist folder.

The quick solution is obvious: just rename a couple files and you are good to go.
0 Kudos
hammerpocket
Visitor

Is it possible to run the server on Mac OS X in its present form? And if so, can I configure it using springboard.py? I have launched springboard.py and have figured out most of the settings (need to check the Roku MAC address to find the IP), but I haven't yet clicked the "Launch Server" or "Install Client" buttons.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

dougrb:

Looks like the ID3 library (the code that figures out the artist and album names) wasn't able to handle one of your mp3's and took down the server in the process. I've added some error checking that will make it skip the problem mp3 an keep going. If you run springboard_debug.bat or launch_server_debug.bat it will print out which MP3 it skipped. This is in the latest version at the usual place.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

nrao1:

My first guess is that springboard can't find the files for the client and server in the usual places. Did you extract the entire zip first and then run springboard? It assumes that all the client code will be in a folder called client and that folder at the same level as another folder called server. The server folder must contain all of the python code.

Try extracting the zip again -- make sure you extract everything in it and keep it in the same directory layout it is in the zip -- and then run springboard again.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

hammerpocket:

You'll be our first OS X tester and since it sounds like you've managed to run springboard I'd say it will likely just work! It shouldn't hurt anything to try. I do all my development on Linux which (at a filesystem / kernel) level, has a lot more in common with OS X than Windows. Your chances are good.

The easiest way to get your Roku IP address is by going to the settings page on your device. Also, once you put your Roku into developer mode it will tell you its IP address. Springboard won't be able to install the channel unless your Roku is in development mode.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

wizzy1291:

Good catch! I'd like to fix this. If you go to the album that has special characters using your browser and click on the song does it play?

I'm trying to figure out if the Roku just can't handle it or if it's something at the server.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

wizzy1291:

I've added your requests to the issue tracker under feature requests.

http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server/issues

On the Artist Name/Album/Track request: What happens right now is that when the player cycles to the next song it highlights the currently playing song and displays the song name and the artist underneath. Is that what you see? For WMA's I don't extract the metadata yet (haven't figured out how to) so all you'll see for those is the file name.

What's your ideal scenario for displaying this information?
0 Kudos
hammerpocket
Visitor

Okay, I made my first attempt with OS X. Client appears to have loaded correctly (shows up anyway), but when I choose it I only get "retrieving..." forever. I've double checked the ip addresses in the springboard. I need to look back over the thread to see if anything else is relevant. Any troubleshooting suggestions?
0 Kudos