Closed Caption

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Closed Caption

Postby Doc Savage » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 am

Does anyone know how to set closed caption (hearing impaired) on the roku box for the movies or can it even be done?
Doc Savage

Re: Closed Caption

Postby jcmolet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:28 am

Doc Savage wrote:Does anyone know how to set closed caption (hearing impaired) on the roku box for the movies or can it even be done?

There is no CC option available via the Roku DVP. Closed captioning or subtitles have to be encoded in the movie.
jcmolet

Postby pintnight » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:30 am

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Add the bleeping closed caption somebody!!!!
pintnight

Postby pintnight » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:33 am

Here's why it's still Roku's AND Netflix's issue...

http://blog.netflix.com/2009/06/closed-captions-and-subtitles.html

And I don't give a flipping cow pies it's not Roku's fault or Netflix's fault. Somebody need to get their ducks in a row to start offering closed caption.
pintnight

Postby mkiker2089 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:45 am

Actually I'm kind of surprised that they haven't been sued yet over this. And before anyone flames me the precedent was set when the government starting funding CC of classic TV shows for Nick at Night. It was considered inappropriate to offer a sound version without a subtitle option.

Either way though captions are coming soon I hope and we all agree that it has taken Netflix far too long to implement it.
mkiker2089

Postby KennyJ » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:19 pm

pintnight wrote:Here's why it's still Roku's AND Netflix's issue...

http://blog.netflix.com/2009/06/closed-captions-and-subtitles.html

And I don't give a flipping cow pies it's not Roku's fault or Netflix's fault. Somebody need to get their ducks in a row to start offering closed caption.

If you don't like the service that's offered, then don't use the service... Neither company owes you anything.
KennyJ

Postby pjoshua5000 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Netflix is getting close Caption (sometime) later this year.

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2010/02/n ... audio.html

Perhaps other channels and developers will follow suit.
pjoshua5000

Postby philsoft » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:08 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Actually I'm kind of surprised that they haven't been sued yet over this. And before anyone flames me the precedent was set when the government starting funding CC of classic TV shows for Nick at Night. It was considered inappropriate to offer a sound version without a subtitle option.

TV and cable have to abide by different rules than Netflix. Because this is IPTV and is accessed via the internet they are not subject to FCC regulations. Like if you post a video on your website, you do not have to abide by FCC regs.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby jcmolet » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:19 pm

mkiker2089 wrote:Actually I'm kind of surprised that they haven't been sued yet over this. And before anyone flames me the precedent was set when the government starting funding CC of classic TV shows for Nick at Night. It was considered inappropriate to offer a sound version without a subtitle option.

Either way though captions are coming soon I hope and we all agree that it has taken Netflix far too long to implement it.

I think the difference would be that cable/satellite systems (and by extension, the networks that use them) receive some public funding and/or are provided certain rights to government controlled frequency spectrum and must abide by certain regulations. Roku receives no public funding nor any use of government controlled spectrum.
jcmolet

Postby moviegeek65 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:19 pm

The only requirement is for TV manufacturers to include a CC decoder and distributors to provide CC, there is no requirement for content producers.
Since Roku is considered a distributor then the onus is on them to provide CC or subtitles.
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/closedcaption.html
moviegeek65

Postby scyber » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:43 am

moviegeek65 wrote:The only requirement is for TV manufacturers to include a CC decoder and distributors to provide CC, there is no requirement for content producers.
Since Roku is considered a distributor then the onus is on them to provide CC or subtitles.
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/closedcaption.html

Since when is Roku considered a distributor by the FCC? I don't think its been addressed by the FCC nor the courts yet, so the classification of these new streaming internet devices is still up in the air. As stated in your link, "The FCC does not regulate captioning of home videos, DVDs, or video games", so it is even possible that this type of device would fall out of the FCCs scope of regulation.
scyber

Postby jcmolet » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:41 am

For anyone interested, this site seems to offer lots of information regarding rules and regulations regarding Closed Captioning:

http://www.captions.org/caplaw.cfm
jcmolet

Would be nice feature

Postby montlyfool » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:21 am

This would be a nice feature, but never really expected it since it was never an option. Since the streaming is not regulated, they do not have to have CC as an option. Not all DVD's I get have CC, so not sure of all the rules, but changes would be good.
montlyfool

Postby ppj » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 am

The Roku Player can support standard closed captioning data streams. Netflix should include captions in their video source.
ppj

Postby jmemmott » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:57 pm

ppj wrote:The Roku Player can support standard closed captioning data streams. Netflix should include captions in their video source.

Actually it can't : http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=24834

But I can't fault Roku for waiting until Netflix gives them a standardized caption format for the video before they finish the work they need to do. This requires Netflix to fullfill their promise to provide captioning later this year.
jmemmott

Next

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion