working ruko without a remote

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

working ruko without a remote

Postby scotttyx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 am

ok, home with 2 sick kids today, two rukos and two lost remotes. any other way to run roku with the remote?
scotttyx

Postby KennyJ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 am

If you have an iPhone or Android phone there are remote apps.

You can also telnet to the Roku and issue remote commands... someone came up with a simple app for that too... so if you have a computer in the same room or a laptop it would work fine.
KennyJ

Re: working ruko without a remote

Postby jcmolet » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:43 am

scotttyx wrote:ok, home with 2 sick kids today, two rukos and two lost remotes. any other way to run roku with the remote?

You can telnet to the Roku on port 8080 from the Command Prompt:

C:\Users\Name>telnet 192.168.1.xxx 8080

The commands:

press up
press down
press left
press right
press select
press home
press fwd
press back
press pause

Hopefully, you know the IP address of the Roku. If not, you could access the settings of your router and view all the hosts on your network to get it.

If you have an iPhone, you can use the DVPRemote app. Again, you will need to know the IP address of the Roku DVP.
jcmolet

Postby KennyJ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:44 am

KennyJ

Postby jeffrok » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:07 am

Hehehe, Ruko.

Sorry, just messin with you, OP. ROKU.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz
jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Postby trksh22 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:17 pm

We lost our remote in our recliner for a few days. In those few days it dawned on my that I'd better have a back-up plan next time. So now I have the IP address written down (because most apps can't be programmed to use your Roku without it. And sorry, I know it's too late now as you don't have the remote but it's something to remember when you do find it.) (And you will :)).

Ok, so I have a free app downloaded on hubby's Android phone, the app downloaded on my laptop (somebody else already mentioned and it is REALLY cool!) and we also used the smart programming in my dinosaur Sony universal remote to work as backup remotes. Hope this helps :)
trksh22

Postby tanman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Here are two five-digit universal remote codes that i found that are suppose to control ROKU (could not confirm solution because my universal remote only takes four-digit codes).

Sources:
http://vizio.com/documents/downloads/hd ... Manual.pdf
tanman

Postby pirey4 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:42 pm

trksh22 wrote:We lost our remote in our recliner for a few days. In those few days it dawned on my that I'd better have a back-up plan next time. So now I have the IP address written down (because most apps can't be programmed to use your Roku without it. And sorry, I know it's too late now as you don't have the remote but it's something to remember when you do find it.) (And you will :)).

Ok, so I have a free app downloaded on hubby's Android phone, the app downloaded on my laptop (somebody else already mentioned and it is REALLY cool!) and we also used the smart programming in my dinosaur Sony universal remote to work as backup remotes. Hope this helps :)

Writing down the current IP address is good but it might not be sufficient. Depending on the type of router you have and it's settings, the Roku could get reassigned a different IP address if power is lost to the Roku, the Router, or both. I recommend adding a DHCP reservation in the router so that your Roku is always assigned the same IP address based on it's MAC address.

Another situation you might run into is if you take your Roku with you to another location (e.g. vacation) and forget the remote. If the IP address of the network at the new location is different, you might not be able to set up the Roku to use the network there. I outline a way to get around this for certain configurations on my web site but I'd reserve this for emergencies only. If you are interested see http://claytongrafix.com/pirey4/apps/DVPRemote_-_Support.html under the section heading "But what if I can’t use my Roku infrared remote control ???".
pirey4

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion