What is playing on your Roku?

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuShawnS, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: What is playing on your Roku?

Postby robertm » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:50 pm

philsoft wrote:Were "Highlander" and "21 Jump Street" good? Between the two I just added like ten seasons to my Queue.

I never saw 21 Jump Street.

Highlander (the TV series) suffered from some really bad acting. I have tried to watch it a few times and I really wanted to like it but it just never worked for me.
robertm

Postby robertm » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:54 pm

jcmolet wrote:
robertm wrote:I watched the first episode of mad men and I was really meh about it. What is it about the show you really like? Should I give it a few more episodes?

Some of my other not sure abouts:

Prison Break. I bought the first couple of episodes of it to try but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.
Lost. I have never seen a single episode.
Fringe. It lost me during season 1 but I hear people talking about it and I wonder if I gave up to soon.

I think you may have given up on Fringe too soon. The middle of the first season is kind of slow; however, the end of the season is pretty good, as is season two.

I might wait for a deal and give it another shot.

One of the things that is missing from Amazon and Netflix that is pretty much criminal IMO is Northern Exposure. Why are some of the best series out there not available on AVOD? People would buy it, what is the problem?
robertm

Postby philsoft » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:00 pm

robertm wrote:One of the things that is missing from Amazon and Netflix that is pretty much criminal IMO is Northern Exposure. Why are some of the best series out there not available on AVOD? People would buy it, what is the problem?

They seem skittish about 4:3 content for some reason. It doesn't bother me if it is in 4:3
And yeah, Northern Exposure is a pretty good show.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby cwniles » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:04 pm

21 Jump St. I watched that show a lot in Jr. High and my recollection is of standard 80's TV fare. Not sure how well it will hold up....it was entertaining in it's day but then again, I was 15 years old. Unless you got a thing for Johnny Depp, you will probably only make it through an episode or two.....

Like most series, they take relevant issues from that period in time and try to make an episode about it, think welcome back kotter but the sweathogs are cops....I remember one episode in particular where they were trying to portray Johhny Depp as some hard core punk rocker...the episode actually featured the punk band "Suicidal Tendencies".....lets just say Johnny Depp can play Gonzo, he can play a pirate, he can play a 'tard but he just isn't all that convincing as a scary punk rock dude.
Roku 2 XS>HDMI>Denon AVR-361>HDMI>Samsung 2333HD
Scientific Atlanta Cable Modem DPC2100R2 >Dynex DX-E402 Router (no wifi)
USB>Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA 1TB in dock.
Roku S/N 13A16H000141
cwniles

Postby robertm » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:09 pm

philsoft wrote:
robertm wrote:One of the things that is missing from Amazon and Netflix that is pretty much criminal IMO is Northern Exposure. Why are some of the best series out there not available on AVOD? People would buy it, what is the problem?

They seem skittish about 4:3 content for some reason. It doesn't bother me if it is in 4:3
And yeah, Northern Exposure is a pretty good show.

If you do a filter by decade they have quite a bit that has to be in 4:3.
robertm

Postby KennyJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:11 pm

robertm wrote:
jcmolet wrote:
robertm wrote:I watched the first episode of mad men and I was really meh about it. What is it about the show you really like? Should I give it a few more episodes?

Some of my other not sure abouts:

Prison Break. I bought the first couple of episodes of it to try but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.
Lost. I have never seen a single episode.
Fringe. It lost me during season 1 but I hear people talking about it and I wonder if I gave up to soon.

I think you may have given up on Fringe too soon. The middle of the first season is kind of slow; however, the end of the season is pretty good, as is season two.

I might wait for a deal and give it another shot.

One of the things that is missing from Amazon and Netflix that is pretty much criminal IMO is Northern Exposure. Why are some of the best series out there not available on AVOD? People would buy it, what is the problem?

I loved NE but haven't watched it in years. If there was a good deal on the Amazon VOD, I would definitely be interested. NBC Universal seems to offer a lot, so I'm not sure why they've left this one off. Possibly additional licensing issues (eg music?)
KennyJ

Postby jcmolet » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:24 pm

KennyJ wrote:I loved NE but haven't watched it in years. If there was a good deal on the Amazon VOD, I would definitely be interested. NBC Universal seems to offer a lot, so I'm not sure why they've left this one off. Possibly additional licensing issues (eg music?)

I believe it is a CBS property. They appear to have a few clips - but no full episodes - available at TV.com.
jcmolet

Postby KennyJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:27 pm

jcmolet wrote:
KennyJ wrote:I loved NE but haven't watched it in years. If there was a good deal on the Amazon VOD, I would definitely be interested. NBC Universal seems to offer a lot, so I'm not sure why they've left this one off. Possibly additional licensing issues (eg music?)

I believe it is a CBS property. They appear to have a few clips - but no full episodes - available at TV.com.

Universal distributes the DVDs (see studio in product details):
http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Exposure ... =8-1-spell
KennyJ

Postby jcmolet » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:31 pm

KennyJ wrote:
jcmolet wrote:

Universal distributes the DVDs (see studio in product details):
http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Exposure ... =8-1-spell

I don't know much about distribution rights; however, maybe they are split between physical media distribution and electronic (streaming) distribution?
jcmolet

Postby KennyJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:35 pm

jcmolet wrote:
I don't know much about distribution rights; however, maybe they are split between physical media distribution and electronic (streaming) distribution?

Maybe that's why we haven't seen it yet -- rights issues.
KennyJ

Postby robertm » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:45 pm

I can understand why they may not make a deal with Netflix but it boggles my mind why they don't have one with Amazon. Northern Exposure is not on the air on any national channel. The DVDs have been available now for years. I doubt it will be re-released on BD and even if it is I have no idea who will buy it. Why not generate some new sales through streaming?

My rant is not confined to NE I am just using them as an example. There have been so many great shows that have come and gone but very few of them are getting any love from streaming and some of them that are available like The Saint only have a couple of seasons available. What possible motivation would anyone have to only sell seasons 5 and 6 of a TV show that is from the early 60's?
robertm

Postby robertm » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:47 pm

jcmolet wrote:I don't know much about distribution rights; however, maybe they are split between physical media distribution and electronic (streaming) distribution?

I am sure that is the case I just don't know why it is taking so long.
robertm

Postby jsj123 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:56 pm

The Olympics. My son and I wrote a rough MythTv client for the Roku and have been recording and watching the Olympics on the Roku.

--Stephen
jsj123

Postby KennyJ » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:57 pm

It looks like part of the issue with Northern Exposure may be music licensing. If you read the reviews on Amazon, a bunch of people are complaining about the music being changed.
KennyJ

Postby vinnyv07 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Tons and tons of movies playing on my Roku from Netflix. I watch Heroes: Season 4 (which is really good by the way). I watch a ton of South Park. Just wanted to comment on Fringe....it really has become one of the best shows on tv. Season 2 has been really as good as it gets on tv.
vinnyv07

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion