10 Beta Channels

Roku's free SDK allows developers to build channels and applications and publish them to the Roku Channel Store. Register for the Developer Program at http://www.roku.com/developer

Moderators: RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL, RokuChris, RokuJoel

10 Beta Channels

Postby supersecretusername » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:57 pm

See the list of channels here: http://bit.ly/9Nxweu

We have developed 10 channels for the Roku. We enjoy making these channels available to the Roku community and would like to be able to continue to develop more, but the development is time consuming.

We think these types of devices are going to change the way we watch television!

We are also really busy with stuff that pays so we thought we'd try the donation method........

[Edit: Follow the redirect back to the channel code after you make your PayPal payment to display the code.]

Donate any amount via PayPal (pay what you think it's worth, don't be so cheap :) and we will send you the "Private Beta Channel" code for the channel you donated to. You can immediately install the channel by visiting https://owner.roku.com/account/channelcode and putting the code in. Tell your friends! If we can get to the $$ goal on our channels, we'll be able to devote lots of time to creating new and interesting channels for your box.

Visit http://bit.ly/9Nxweu

When we reach our goal, we will start the publishing process to be available on every Roku.
Last edited by supersecretusername on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
supersecretusername

Re: 10 Beta Channels

Postby KennyJ » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:28 pm

I didn't know what was fair or what was cheap, but I donated a $1 each for 9 of the 10 channels. 6 of which I already had the code for and 1 of which I probably won't ever use. So I hope my $9 helps even a little bit.
KennyJ

Postby TexGuy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:11 am

I sent 3 donations but a little lost on what amounts are expected. But we all know his channels rock big time.

Edited to add 3rd donation
Roku2 XS and Roku HD and Roku XD
Primecast Cable
Panasonic TC-L32C3
HDMI Cable ($6.99 cables unlimited)
CNet CBR-970 (router)
TexGuy

Postby supersecretusername » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:32 am

TexGuy wrote:I sent 3 donations but a little lost on what amounts are expected. But we all know his channels rock big time.

Edited to add 3rd donation

Thanks TexGuy!

The suggested amount for donation is "Whatever you want to give". We've had some people do $10 per channel and some do much less. Donate what you think it's worth.

Here is the list of channels.

Archive Classic Movies - Feature length Film Noir from the 30's-60's
Drive-In Classics - Feature length Films for the Drive in area. "Night of the living dead" and "Last man on earth" are two examples.
Earth-Touch HD - HD Nature programming.
HubbleCast HD - HD programming from the Hubble telescope team.
LDS.org - Obvious
NBC News - Daily : Nightly News, Countdown, Rachel Maddow and Meet the press.
TED Talks - Amazing topics and people in HD
TERRA - Nature programming.
The Internet Archive - Moving pictures from Archive.org
supersecretusername

Postby KennyJ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:55 am

I was sorta thinking.. "App store" prices and a lot are $1.00. That's how I came up with my $1/per channel.
KennyJ

Postby bcl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:45 am

I'd like to see more details about the channels -- I'd be inclined to donate more if I knew ahead of time more details on the content.

I'd also like to see a NASCAR channel, that's really the only live show I miss from the satellite dish we dropped back in October.
bcl

Postby supersecretusername » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:00 am

bcl wrote:I'd like to see more details about the channels -- I'd be inclined to donate more if I knew ahead of time more details on the content.

I'd also like to see a NASCAR channel, that's really the only live show I miss from the satellite dish we dropped back in October.

Ok, now if you go to http://bit.ly/9Nxweu you will find a link to youtube videos of all of the channels.
supersecretusername

Postby KLTARBOX » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 pm

supersecretusername wrote:See the list of channels here: http://bit.ly/9Nxweu

We have developed 10 channels for the Roku. We enjoy making these channels available to the Roku community and would like to be able to continue to develop more, but the development is time consuming.

We think these types of devices are going to change the way we watch television!

We are also really busy with stuff that pays so we thought we'd try the donation method........

[Edit: Follow the redirect back to the channel code after you make your PayPal payment to display the code.]

Donate any amount via PayPal (pay what you think it's worth, don't be so cheap :) and we will send you the "Private Beta Channel" code for the channel you donated to. You can immediately install the channel by visiting https://owner.roku.com/account/channelcode and putting the code in. Tell your friends! If we can get to the $$ goal on our channels, we'll be able to devote lots of time to creating new and interesting channels for your box.

Visit http://bit.ly/9Nxweu

When we reach our goal, we will start the publishing process to be available on every Roku.

I attempted to make a payment via my debit mastercard through paypal and had no luck. I will attempt a prepaid card to see if I can make a donation that way.
All Devices are set up as wireless.(1 & 2 are via composite, 3 & 4 via HDMI to HDTV)
Roku1(BR) Serial: 20F875027516
Roku2(KR) Serial: H0A076000067
Roku3 (LR) Serial: K0A0A0030142
Roku4(BR2) Serial: 12A148000058
KLTARBOX

Postby sprinklefurball » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:13 am

Internet Archive channel is fantastic, watching Merrie Melodies on my Roku is awesome thanks alot!
sprinklefurball

Postby dnelms » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Just curious, it took forever to get the Big10 Network on DirectTV. Two questions, #1, are you having to pay the Big10 conference any rights fees? and #2, are they even aware that their channel is being distributed? Reason I ask is that I'd love to see the ACC content on line, but given your goal of $5000 per channel, I was making an assumption that that was only covering development time.
dnelms

Postby KennyJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:39 pm

dnelms wrote:Just curious, it took forever to get the Big10 Network on DirectTV. Two questions, #1, are you having to pay the Big10 conference any rights fees? and #2, are they even aware that their channel is being distributed? Reason I ask is that I'd love to see the ACC content on line, but given your goal of $5000 per channel, I was making an assumption that that was only covering development time.

He's just grabbing their podcast feed. They are already publicly distributing this content.
KennyJ

Postby dvo01 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:42 pm

dnelms wrote:Just curious, it took forever to get the Big10 Network on DirectTV. Two questions, #1, are you having to pay the Big10 conference any rights fees? and #2, are they even aware that their channel is being distributed? Reason I ask is that I'd love to see the ACC content on line, but given your goal of $5000 per channel, I was making an assumption that that was only covering development time.

Can't answer for the developer but it seems that this channel isn't really the Big Ten Network, it's only podcasts that they have released for RSS feeds. The new channels that have been put out there are just using the Roku box as an RSS video and audio podcast reader. The donations are offsetting the cost of developing a custom container for whatever video podcasts are being distributed but they really don't guarantee that those channels will be able to continue to deliver that content. So, if Big Ten or CNN or whoever changes their podcast format, I'd be disappointed but not looking for a refund. It seems like most paid bloggers and other aggregators have been working off this model, set up a set of links to other content and sell advertising space to the page.
dvo01

Postby campbellwang » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:12 pm

KennyJ wrote:

He's just grabbing their podcast feed. They are already publicly distributing this content.

Even though the podcast feed is public does that give anyone the right to then redistribute that content?

It might be okay for personal use but to redistribute without the owners’ consent?!

If you were to collect donations to cover development costs for redistributing unlicensed or content not formally allowed to redistribute, does that then fall into a murky area?

You could technically say the guy selling DVDs in the road is only collecting donations for his hard work, but will the content creators or owners see it like that?
CDNOne.com | CDNTwo.com
campbellwang

Postby KennyJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:23 pm

campbellwang wrote:
KennyJ wrote:

Even though the podcast feed is public does that give anyone the right to then redistribute that content?

It might be okay for personal use but to redistribute without the owners’ consent?!

If you were to collect donations to cover development costs for redistributing unlicensed or content not formally allowed to redistribute, does that then fall into a murky area?

You could technically say the guy selling DVDs in the road is only collecting donations for his hard work, but will the content creators or owners see it like that?

He's not redistributing it though. He's linking to their public feed which directs to their public files. Would Mozilla be in trouble for taking donations which gives you access to copyrighted content? He's not accessing the content any differently (really) than any Podcast reader would. Are you saying a podcast reader can't charge for their software or service?

If the guy is selling legit DVDs, he can certainly take a donation. If he is illegally copying it, then no-- but he also can't be giving it away for free either. There has been no copying here.
KennyJ

Postby campbellwang » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Kenny I am posing questions. Why would you suggest that I wouldn't want a fellow developer to earn money from their hard work?

I think a podcast reader would come under personal use.

Any companys' name, logos or images are copyrghted. You always need permission. This is what dnelms eluded to.
CDNOne.com | CDNTwo.com
campbellwang

Next

Return to Roku Developer Program