Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rainlake
Visitor

stream local files to roku

Just got my box 2 days ago. it was easy to write a program to stream local mp4s to this cute box.
but this little box support just few codecs and container(h264,aac,mp4).most of my films are mkvs or ts. and this small box just support 720p files.most of my mkvs are 1080p.
so REALTIME transcode is MUST HAVE. after some research.its hard to REALTIME transcode into mp4. the "MOOV" part is very hard to FAKE. will this box support mkv or ts? so we can REALTIME transcode files. I know something like ps3mediaserver can do this job. or is there a way to FAKE the "MOOV" box ?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
rainlake
Visitor

Re: stream local files to roku

the sencond way is just encode few seconds(like 10) and play all the files one by one,but this box cannot "buffer" another file while play.this will cause "wait,buffer" every 10s when you watching.I dont think it's a good idea.
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

I think they need to expand the codec and container support, but they will pretty much have to when they switch on local file support. Having mkvs support would drastically improve serverside antipiracy options and I hope it's in Roku's to-do list.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

The best solution for realtime transcoding is HTTP Live Streaming, which will be supported in an upcoming release.

--Mark
0 Kudos
rainlake
Visitor

so when will it coming? weeks or months?
thank you
0 Kudos
philsoft

"rainlake" wrote:
thank you

Questions like this put the folks at Roku in a difficult position. If they give a date, they create a deadline for themselves. This puts extra pressure on the engineers, and the design teams. After the Engineer and Design teams feel the pressure the Beta testers will have extra pressure on them to meet the deadline as well.

THEN... If a problem or unanticipated issue arises, you must make the decision to release buggy firmware, or delay release.

NOW... A reasonable person would say "Just delay the release until it is fixed", but I can assure you from personal experience, that the moment a delay is announced OR EVEN HINTED AT!!! The wolves will pounce. They will not care what the reasons are for the tardiness, they will put in print the fact that they hate Roku with every ounce of their being, and then months later when everything is back on track for them, they will be right there asking when the next piece of magic will be available, which simply starts the same circle once again.

I am always amazed when Roku announces ANYTHING, for the very reasons stated above.
0 Kudos
rainlake
Visitor

I totally agree what you said.that's why I asking weeks or months instead of a deadline.
if it's weeks,I will wait and startup the "live http streaming" in my application.
If it's weeks,I will have to find another way to solve my problems.
I am a software engineer.my boss always ask me when will you finish your job. I totally heat those questions.
"philsoft" wrote:
"rainlake" wrote:
thank you

Questions like this put the folks at Roku in a difficult position. If they give a date, they create a deadline for themselves. This puts extra pressure on the engineers, and the design teams. After the Engineer and Design teams feel the pressure the Beta testers will have extra pressure on them to meet the deadline as well.

THEN... If a problem or unanticipated issue arises, you must make the decision to release buggy firmware, or delay release.

NOW... A reasonable person would say "Just delay the release until it is fixed", but I can assure you from personal experience, that the moment a delay is announced OR EVEN HINTED AT!!! The wolves will pounce. They will not care what the reasons are for the tardiness, they will put in print the fact that they hate Roku with every ounce of their being, and then months later when everything is back on track for them, they will be right there asking when the next piece of magic will be available, which simply starts the same circle once again.

I am always amazed when Roku announces ANYTHING, for the very reasons stated above.
0 Kudos