How to Hook Up Roku Player

Discussion not related to any specific Roku product.

Moderator: RokuJamesL

How to Hook Up Roku Player

Postby cabreeze1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:29 pm

I just tried to set up the Roku Player for the first time and the directions are sadly inadequate. Can anyone tell me step by step what to do? I also got the extra cables they recommended (like the HDMI).

Thanks!
cabreeze1

Re: How to Hook Up Roku Player

Postby philsoft » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:36 pm

cabreeze1 wrote:I just tried to set up the Roku Player for the first time and the directions are sadly inadequate. Can anyone tell me step by step what to do? I also got the extra cables they recommended (like the HDMI).

Thanks!

Do you have an HDTV?
If so does it have HDMI input?
If so connect your ethernet cable (from a router or cable modem) to the DVP, and connect one end of the HDMI cable to the DVP and the other end to the TV, and report back.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Postby cabreeze1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:02 pm

It is a HDTV and it does have the HDMI input. We have a wireless router that is upstairs so I'm not sure how to set the system up for wireless and do not know what a DVP is.
cabreeze1

Postby philsoft » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:08 pm

cabreeze1 wrote:It is a HDTV and it does have the HDMI input. We have a wireless router that is upstairs so I'm not sure how to set the system up for wireless and do not know what a DVP is.

DVP stands for "Digital Video Player" the Roku Box. If the router does not have a password then the DVP should detect it automatically when you run the initial setup, and you would select it, and it should connect. If the router DOES have encryption enabled, and needs a password, then you will need to know what password was used when the router was setup.
philsoft

Postby cabreeze1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Thank you so much for your help... Do I only have to hook up the HDMI cables or also the ones that came with the player? Once I get everything hooked up, do I set the TV to any certain channel? Is that where I will see where I need to put in the password to our wireless system?
Thanks again!
cabreeze1

Postby philsoft » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:24 pm

cabreeze1 wrote:Thank you so much for your help... Do I only have to hook up the HDMI cables or also the ones that came with the player? Once I get everything hooked up, do I set the TV to any certain channel? Is that where I will see where I need to put in the password to our wireless system?
Thanks again!

If you are going straight to the TV then the HDMI cable is all you run, if you are going through a receiver then there will be more involved.
You will need to set the TV to the correct input. This is usually a button on the remote that says "Line" or "Input" or something like that. Just cycle through the inputs until you get to the HDMI input that the DVP is connected to.
philsoft

Postby cabreeze1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Thank you!
cabreeze1

Return to Roku General