Nowhere TV

Moderators: RokuShawnS, RokuDouglas, RokuKen, RokuRyan, RokuJamesL

Re: A Couple New Channels with More to Come

Postby flournoy3 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:27 pm

I sorry Nowhereman. Mediafly web site is always slow and very buggy. Your channel is so user-friendly. I will try to never bother you again.
flournoy3

Postby clemdog » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:33 pm

"What ARE you seeing on your TV? Has it gone through the connection process and gotten an internet connection?"

I'm just seeing the standard Roku menu. I should mention that I've had this unit up and running for months. It's not a new instalation. Does that make a difference?
clemdog

Postby nowhereman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:47 pm

flournoy3 wrote:I sorry Nowhereman. Mediafly web site is always slow and very buggy. Your channel is so user-friendly. I will try to never bother you again.

I dont remember you ever bothering me :P

I posed the mediafly question to the forum in general. I just wanted to understand why someone who knows how to use mediafly chooses not to. Several people have PM'd me with their reasons and I am starting to understand a bit better.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
nowhereman

Postby dvo01 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:55 pm

nowhereman wrote:
ProdigiousJuggalo wrote:
flournoy3 wrote:Can you add CBN News to your Religion channel please:

http://podcast.cbn.com/CBN_Video_CBN_News_Updates.aspx

Hey NWM - if you could, please add these 2 to the RELIGION video section:

Joel Osteen (Lakewood Church)
http://rss.streamos.com/streamos/rss/ge ... e=lakewood

Joyce Meyer (Joyce Meyer Ministries)
http://www.joycemeyer.org/JMMweb/xml/TV.xml

Thanks!

Yup,
Prodigious Juggalo

Okay, I'm really starting to wonder about this. For those of you who know what a podcast is and know how to hunt down the feed URL. Why are you not using MediaFly? I'd really like to get a feel for why someone with the technical knowlege needed to use MediaFly chooses not to.

Pod TV was conceived as a tool for people who had no clue what RSS is or how to hunt down the URLs. People who might enjoy a simple little channel where they could watch some stuff they didn't know was even available. And now I'm starting to feel i created a monster. I never intended this to be a full fledged podcast directory, but that's what it's becoming and the more it does, the more I feel like we're duplicating MediaFly, which was never my intention (and still isn't).

I'm using the channel generally to channel surf through podcasts on my large screen in the living room. Never got much into watching video on my desktop or laptop. I think one way to interpret these suggestions are that some people like them and want others to know about them. I think your effort expands the audience for these podcasts.
dvo01

Postby Bron » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:18 pm

moviegeek65 wrote:
nowhereman wrote:
moviegeek65 wrote:Hey nowhereman,
When I select some Internet Radio subchannels it causes my Roku to lockup, I can't get out of the Pod channel no matter what button I hit.
I end up recycling the power to fix it.

Keep up the good work.

By subchannel, do you mean genre? is anyone else seeing this? I just navigated into and out of every internet radio genre area with n problem.

Yes I meant genre.
It seems to be working fine today, it could of been my ISP or router.

Sometimes some of the feeds reboot my Roku as well. I assume it something at the server end as it's not consistent.
Bron

Postby Bron » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:24 pm

nowhereman wrote:
Okay, I'm really starting to wonder about this. For those of you who know what a podcast is and know how to hunt down the feed URL. Why are you not using MediaFly? I'd really like to get a feel for why someone with the technical knowlege needed to use MediaFly chooses not to.

Pod TV was conceived as a tool for people who had no clue what RSS is or how to hunt down the URLs. People who might enjoy a simple little channel where they could watch some stuff they didn't know was even available. And now I'm starting to feel i created a monster. I never intended this to be a full fledged podcast directory, but that's what it's becoming and the more it does, the more I feel like we're duplicating MediaFly, which was never my intention (and still isn't).

Well, I think a big part of it is we have someone here who listens to us and we feel part of what is going on. Plus, the free/open src sort of feel to it vs. commercial feel. Nothing to do with the technical aspects at all. more the friendliness of it all. Though I did find Mediafly frustrating, buggy and glitchy. I find Pod TV much better in its simplicity and usefulness. But I can see where you might be getting overwhelmed with all of this...it has grown quickly.

Thanks, again. You could quit right now and you would still have done us a great service.
Bron

Postby calicommando » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:39 pm

clemdog wrote:
"What ARE you seeing on your TV? Has it gone through the connection process and gotten an internet connection?"

I'm just seeing the standard Roku menu. I should mention that I've had this unit up and running for months. It's not a new instalation. Does that make a difference?

It sounds like your player is already linked then. What's the issue? What is it that you're trying to do? Can you view movies in Netflix?
calicommando

Postby nowhereman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Bron wrote:Well, I think a big part of it is we have someone here who listens to us and we feel part of what is going on. Plus, the free/open src sort of feel to it vs. commercial feel.

I certainly know what you mean and that was my intention from the start. I think the lack of community engagement has been a contributing factor to the downfall of some of the other beta/private channels that have come and gone.

Bron wrote:Thanks, again. You could quit right now and you would still have done us a great service.

Quit? Who said anything about quitting? I just needed a break. I spent the afternoon on the patio with Kindle, a cigar, and some espresso. Then I indulged in a little selfish-coding time and hacked up a channel so I can watch my EyeTV recordings on my box. There will be a blog about that on my personal site tomorrow sometime. Then I dove back into Pod TV and rewrote a huge chunk of the feed parsing code. I'm actually very happy with the result. It solves a lot of the data management issues I was having on the server side and makes the channel itself feel a bit more stable and responsive. I'm sure you will all tell me otherwise as soon as you start playing with it, but that's what beta testing is for.

One caveat: CNET continues to be the special case in all this. There is something about their stuff that requires special handling and I haven't been able to figure out exactly what it is. As a result, the episode lists for individual CNET shows will load more slowly than the rest of the categories. Just be patient. It was that or toss them out altogether and I didn't want to do that since they are some of the most popular feeds we have.

Also, for the few of you who are still using the old individual channels. I will be deleting them this evening. The underlying code in those channels is woefully obsolete, so please upgrade to Pod TV. Channel code H9DWC
nowhereman

Postby gabersjg » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Hello!

Thanks so much! Love the channel, especially since I stopped my cable. Are there any Food Network or Discovery Channel streams? I don't know much about what adding content, but I thought I'd ask.
gabersjg

Postby BoloMKXXVIII » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:20 am

NWM,

Really? You compare your PodTV to Mediafly? Do you want any of us to set up a vote on which channel is preferred? PodTV would win by a landslide.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

** Non-valued Community Member **
BoloMKXXVIII

Postby nymrod » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:47 am

nowhereman wrote:
nymrod wrote:What happened to the Scanner channel? It appears to have been removed.

Nymrod

Until we can figure out why the feeds work sometimes and don't other times, I took it down.

I noticed that they were intermittent. Very odd!
Nymrod
nymrod

Postby nowhereman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 am

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:NWM,

Really? You compare your PodTV to Mediafly? Do you want any of us to set up a vote on which channel is preferred? PodTV would win by a landslide.

Oh no, that's not necessary. Truth be told, I usually find forum polls rather annoying :P
Point taken though. Let's hope Roku sees it the same way if and when we try to get Pod TV into the Channel Store.
nowhereman

Postby xackley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:21 am

A couple of movie sites. Can this sort of thing be streamed to the ROKU?

http://www.classiccinemaonline.com
http://chicagopoetry.com/modules.php?op ... le&sid=757

Thank you
Don
xackley

Postby ProdigiousJuggalo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:50 am

nowhereman wrote:Okay, I'm really starting to wonder about this. For those of you who know what a podcast is and know how to hunt down the feed URL. Why are you not using MediaFly? I'd really like to get a feel for why someone with the technical knowlege needed to use MediaFly chooses not to.

Ahh, I see I've misunderstood the thought process behind merging all of the individual channels you'd created into the master channel Pod TV.

I do use MediaFly. The misunderstanding comes from your statement that you "never intended this to be a full fledged podcast directory" and that you never intended to be "duplicating MediaFly" thereby creating a replacement and/or alternate service to MediaFly. I recogized the great work that you've been doing in creating channel(s) and and that you'd been open to so much user submission of content requests. Pod TV quickly seemed to be serving up all of the good stuff and aggregating it into one location. I felt that some of the suggestions I made were not only of usage to me but would be interesting for the user group collectively, mostly because I too felt that Pod TV was becoming an excellent alternative to MediaFly. Honestly, I've been extremely impressed at the level of dedication and work that you've put into this project! Good work. The favorites feature and most-used features are IMHO far better organizational features than MediaFly uses. However, I did misread the move from individual channels to the Pod TV master channel as a desire that you intended to move forward with a project that could compete with MediaFly on the Roku platform.

Regardless, great work NWM.

Yup,
Prodigious Juggalo
Last edited by ProdigiousJuggalo on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProdigiousJuggalo

Postby philsoft » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 am

I see Pod TV as a legitimate channel already, and I see that banner ad already too

"Watch widget-O-rama on sales/widgets/widget-O-rama"

As to whether it competes with Mediafly... Well... I currently use both, so I guess not in my case anyway.
philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

PreviousNext

Return to Roku Streaming Player General Discussion